BANGKOK
parafareno

Is water from pipes safe for brushing teeth?

Unless you want to use bottled water for brushing teeth & rinsing mouth, and for washing all your fruit & veg & for washing/rinsing all your dishes & cutlery, then there's no avoiding contact with tap water in Thailand. Everything you eat in restaurants - salads, fresh veg, fruit - has been washed/rinsed in tap water, all your plates/glasses have been rinsed in tap water. I once saw a fresh orange juice seller at Bali Hai Pier in Pattaya, he squeezed the orange juice then topped up the bottles from a tap outside the toilets there.

18 hours ago, TooPoopedToPop said:

Always use bottled water for brushing your teeth.

And beware the ubiquitous bum-guns... germs and microbes can enter your body through your rectum just as easily as through your mouth.

Hmmmm good point--I LOVE the bum gun over TP....but never thought of this when I get tummy pangs

As my bum gun sometimes is like on turbo blast and might blow out my O ring!!!!

• Haha 1

Do NOT drink the tap water in LAOS..I did ONCE..learned a life lesson that day..woooo boy......urp!

I have used the street water machines up north, mostly to boil but seems those filters are never swapped

20 hours ago, Chazar said:

Anyone suggesting "its  fine"  is  plain nuts especially in Thailand, get a  sample and get it tested then youll have a REAL answer . I did this with my well water. It came back fine.  The  village "pipe water" contains shells/snails and other crapp god  only knows what else is in it

Where do you get the testing done? We use bottled water for drinking, from 6 litre bottles that cost the same (10 baht) as a tiny one in the supermarket, which just shows how much profit the water producers make. We pump water from underground and it would be interesting to know how pure it is. Of course, that purity could change at any time.

I've been living in and visiting Thailand for over 36 years.  I've always used tap water for brushing teeth.  I don't swallow it or drink it.  As for cooking with tap water, I've always used it and have never had a problem.  Yes, everybody has gotten the Bangkok Belly at some point, but trying to determine if it came from the tap water is a little difficult to determine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Where do you get the testing done? We use bottled water for drinking, from 6 litre bottles that cost the same (10 baht) as a tiny one in the supermarket, which just shows how much profit the water producers make. We pump water from underground and it would be interesting to know how pure it is. Of course, that purity could change at any time.

You use a lab like this one: http://www.omicfoodsafety.com/html_eng/bankoku.html

They will send you a kit that you send back by mail. 

You can use a home kit but it won't detect virus, bacteria, etc so its almost useless: https://s.lazada.co.th/s.ZJ3sp

Edited by Tayaout
  • Thanks 1

Been here 14 years full time, and traveled to many parts of the country.  Always used tap water to brush my teeth and shower, wash dishes etc, NEVER had a problem.

I use the water dispenser machines around my area for drinking water, very cheap and not creating plastic waste either.  Again, NEVER a problem.  Go out often to many Thai places, food stalls, bars and restaurants, and always use the Ice they provide.... again NERVER a problem.  

For some of you paranoid people here.... did you know that bottled water has been found to alter your hormones and give you cancer because of the chemicals in the plastic?  That might be the reason some of you guys are turning into worried old women lol.  

• Like 1

One night in Nong Khai 20 years ago I had this gorgeous young woman staying with me and cleaned my teeth with tap water before bed. Twenty minutes later I had to run to the toilet and spent the rest of the night there. Next morning lady left untouched and I had to stay close to the loo. Never ever cleaned my teeth with tap water again. Cooking at least boils the water and by now I have probably built up some immunity.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Denim said:

Fine. Just remember you don't have to swallow if you don't want to.

That advice has been useful to me

over the years with the girls I have known.

dam n, didn't any of your girlfriends not have penises??

15 minutes ago, KIWILEE said:

One night in Nong Khai 20 years ago I had this gorgeous young woman staying with me and cleaned my teeth with tap water before bed. Twenty minutes later I had to run to the toilet and spent the rest of the night there. Next morning lady left untouched and I had to stay close to the loo. Never ever cleaned my teeth with tap water again. Cooking at least boils the water and by now I have probably built up some immunity.

you attribute diarrhea with brushing teeth??  seriously?

• Haha 1