Jump to content
BANGKOK
parafareno

Is water from pipes safe for brushing teeth?

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, atyclb said:

 

you attribute diarrhea with brushing teeth??  seriously?

""If you swallow water that's contaminated with certain types of bacteria, you can get gastrointestinal illnesses, vomiting, diarrhea for example," explained Dr. Fred Lopez, an infectious disease expert at LSU Health Sciences Center. ... Use bottled water to brush your teeth "

 

https://www.wwltv.com/article/news/local/contaminated-water-could-cause-vomiting-diarrhea-and-other-health-problems/289-477388929

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

""If you swallow water that's contaminated with certain types of bacteria, you can get gastrointestinal illnesses, vomiting, diarrhea for example," explained Dr. Fred Lopez, an infectious disease expert at LSU Health Sciences Center. ... Use bottled water to brush your teeth "

 

https://www.wwltv.com/article/news/local/contaminated-water-could-cause-vomiting-diarrhea-and-other-health-problems/289-477388929

This is the least problematic. You can also get lifetime parasite or hepatitis A. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, david555 said:

Same for me 10 years …., reminds me the "look" my that time GF gave me when I let her cook with 7/11 bottle water (as I came as a newbie …) and later I realized how stupid I acted as over cautious farang

.

Don't drink it I would still say , but cooking or pasting safe enough , you can always use Listerine after if you doubt still ...

There's no problem what so ever brushing your teeth in tap water, unless you drink the water. A few drops won't do any harm. My gf buys the cheap water from the purifying machine outside for cooking,and drinks the water from Tesco. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, CharlieH said:
48 minutes ago, atyclb said:

 

you attribute diarrhea with brushing teeth??  seriously?

""If you swallow water that's contaminated with certain types of bacteria, you can get gastrointestinal illnesses, vomiting, diarrhea for example," explained Dr. Fred Lopez, an infectious disease expert at LSU Health Sciences Center. ... Use bottled water to brush your teeth "

 

https://www.wwltv.com/article/news/local/contaminated-water-could-cause-vomiting-diarrhea-and-other-health-problems/289-477388929

 

in the context of diarrhea "20 minutes after brushing teeth" it would be extremely unlikely/unusual. there is another concept that is called "inoculant dose" means one would need to swallow a sufficient quantity of infected water and typically people brushing teeth do not. additionally 20 minutes speaks against it as bacteria typically takes hours to days(incubation period) from a medical perspective what likely happened was diarrhea from dietary intake, etc that coincidently began 20 minutes after brushing teeth.

Edited by atyclb
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, parafareno said:

guys whatis with water in pipes....is it safe to brush teeth at least? or not?

n.o. no.

21 hours ago, parafareno said:

and do restaurants use filtered water for cooking?

bottled water with ice of unknown origin, salads with lettuce, and not so clean eating utensils always a gamble.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In school they told us to wash our hands with soap for at least 22 seconds to kill the germs. So, I do the same when brushing teeth.  Fifteen years and I haven't caught anything from the water that can't be blamed on street food.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It depends where your water is from. If it is mains water which would have been treated or if it is pumped from the village pond/lake as does happen in many small rural villages.

In anither thread I mentioned that the Pooyai baan in her wisdom decided to transfer our village water supply from the mains to the supply coming from the village lake.

The people in the village all complained how dirty the water was and kicked up a fuss and just over a week later the normal mains water supply was restored.

 

The restaurants I have used and been abke to see their cooking water supply is from the large gallon bottles of water.

 

Ice is fine as it is produced in the many ice factories here and delivered daily.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

In school they told us to wash our hands with soap for at least 22 seconds to kill the germs. So, I do the same when brushing teeth.  Fifteen years and I haven't caught anything from the water that can't be blamed on street food.

You wash your mouth with soap? My mother only did that once to me and it wasn't a memorable experience. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh no! Yet more western paranoia regarding the rest of the world's tap water. Propagated by the "Lonely Plants Guides' no doubt with the approval (or more) of the world's bottled water industry. (whom I suspect is a close affiliate of big pharma)

 

Yes, I do clean my teeth using tap water. But no I do not rinse out with it, nor with bottled water or even mouth wash. I do not rinse at all ever since I came across this advise about a year ago.

 

http://www.healthgradespro.com/get-healthy/myths-about-your-oral-hygiene-you-always-thought-were-correct/

 

Since following the tips herein, my teeth have never felt cleaner, nor looked whiter. My gums are also very healthy.

 

And before the wags leap in, they are all mine, not dentures!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

 

Not in Thailand you won't. They'll think you're an idiot if you don't use ice. Even in wine, in the days when people could afford to buy it. 

And you are an (snip)if you drink wine, here, period. Ice in beer is done by Thais led astray by EuroTrash, who don't hold the Thais accountable for lack of education and inability to properly use electricity and refrigeration.  Show me one manufacturer that suggests putting ice in it. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, moontang said:

And you are an (snip) if you drink wine, here, period. Ice in beer is done by Thais led astray by EuroTrash, who don't hold the Thais accountable for lack of education and inability to properly use electricity and refrigeration.  Show me one manufacturer that suggests putting ice in it. 

I think you should withdraw the (snip) word....

Plus, you don't know what you are talking about....🤫

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really am shocked at how many people are so scared of the water that in reality they shouldn’t leave their home country where their water is sure to be safe

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, transam said:

I think you should withdraw the "idiot" word....

Plus, you don't know what you are talking about....🤫

Surely, you can find a beer manufacturer's website.... Tiger says serve at 36F...it doesn't say store at room temp in the tropics and put in frig set on 7c..and add ice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Max69xl said:

There's no problem what so ever brushing your teeth in tap water, unless you drink the water. A few drops won't do any harm. My gf buys the cheap water from the purifying machine outside for cooking,and drinks the water from Tesco. 

I even drink the water from those  purifying machines from condo , no problems so far 10 years 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...