Is water from pipes safe for brushing teeth?

parafareno

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Max69xl said:
3 hours ago, atyclb said:

theoretically could make a similar argument for using tap water shower.  water splashes in eyes or in mouth or bacteria in water causes impetigo

You do know that the (even double sometimes) reversed osmosis purification method + UV treatment is used by every water company in Thailand, and there's nothing in the water after that. If you want to avoid water treated like that, your only option is to buy mineral water in the stores,but it's much more expensive. 

what you quoted doesn't seem to be what you are replying to ??

i use a 5 stage water filter. leaves the good mineral stuff in. no reason to buy mineral water

On 11/7/2019 at 3:27 PM, TooPoopedToPop said:

Always use bottled water for brushing your teeth.

And beware the ubiquitous bum-guns... germs and microbes can enter your body through your rectum just as easily as through your mouth.

I always rinse the bum gun clean before drinking from it????

2 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I hope you drink it fast enough so that the ice doesn't melt and dilute the taste. As for being 'the sort who think they are a better class of person' etc, you're wrong. Sorry. Way off the mark.

Think about this - where they brew proper beer, countries like Germany, Belgium, Czech Republic, the UK, in my experience no-one in those countries would dream of adding ice to the beer. In Thailand, a country that produces awful beer and where the preferred drink of many is whisky, they do. Draw your own conclusions from that.

I also, rarely, add a cube or two if the beer isn't cold enough, but that isn't often as I keep my rather fine beer glass - of a German brewery - in the fridge so the beer remains cold for a little longer. I do it with Thai beer, but wouldn't dream of doing it with decent beer that often has been drunk without the need for ice for hundred of years.

Basically you are a beer facist 555 .

If we do something different to you we are wrong !

All those countries that you quote that you say brew proper beer are all countries in a cold climate !

You are a beer snob . What is it with people who have to dictate all the time about what we are allowed to do and how we lead our lives?

Can you also help me with what food I should eat here in Thailand and how I should dress and how loud my farts should be ?

Do you really live here because you come accross as someone who has only been here on a 2 week holiday.

People who really do live in Thailand would know the climate is hot and beer gets warm quickly.

You have not convinced me with your point of view ,good luck with converting the Thai population 5555

Thanks.

9 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

And how do you know that? Are you working illegally at the water plant?

Where I live there some kind of green gelatinous algae coming out of the pipe. It clogs everything. In Bangkok the water looked fine but my wife wouldn't use it for cooking. 

2 hours ago, Max69xl said:

With a purification tablet or two from the US Army that water will taste real nice. ????

With a purification tablet or two 

Wit a few dozens of purification tablets from the US army that water will taste real nice ????

3 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

Where I live there some kind of green gelatinous algae coming out of the pipe. It clogs everything. In Bangkok the water looked fine but my wife wouldn't use it for cooking. 

OOh, we have algaes in the water too. It´s only vitamins. Don´t worry. Never checked it and cooked food as well as brushed my teeth with it for soon 23 years.

1 hour ago, mlkik said:

Basically you are a beer facist 555 .

If we do something different to you we are wrong !

All those countries that you quote that you say brew proper beer are all countries in a cold climate !

You are a beer snob . What is it with people who have to dictate all the time about what we are allowed to do and how we lead our lives?

Can you also help me with what food I should eat here in Thailand and how I should dress and how loud my farts should be ?

Do you really live here because you come accross as someone who has only been here on a 2 week holiday.

People who really do live in Thailand would know the climate is hot and beer gets warm quickly.

You have not convinced me with your point of view ,good luck with converting the Thai population 5555

Thanks.

You do like to make assumptions about someone you don't know, don't you. I've lived in Thailand for 25 years. And all I did was give my own opinion. I didn't in any way suggest that everyone should have the same opinion. Each to their own. That's another one of your assumptions.

As for those countries I listed, have you ever been to them? In summer, when it can be at least as hot as Thailand. And they still don't add ice to upset the balance of the brew. I spoke with an English chap who runs a restaurant in Thailand and who likes to add lots of ice to his beer. Because of this thread I put it to him that he would never put ice in the beer in the UK, and he agreed - because it would change the taste. Even though it sometimes get hot, even in England.

But I would never dream of imposing my view on others and say they are wrong and I am right. Somehow you have read something I didn't say into what I wrote. Another one of your false assumptions. 

16 hours ago, Matzzon said:

And how do you know that? Are you working illegally at the water plant?

What??? Village  water often comes literally straight from a  pond somewhere.......... a  lot of rural Thailand has water  like  this, this  water is literally  pumped from a  pond.............after the first few  taps got blocked I stuck a  fine mesh filter on the  supply, when emptied  full of snails/shells  etc.

Most of  the villagers use this for washing.

Many people here  might well be talking about a major  city supply which will be better, Im not, many Thai  live outside those major  cities.

Town water in the large cities is relatively safe. I do use it to brush my teeth (but didn't the first few years). Quality may depend on your area - older established areas may have older pipes and discoloured water. Village water - yes, often appalling. 

Water in the western world can be bad too. I have some training in water management, and was once asked to check out the water tanks at a government site in the UK by the Union after  one person caught paratyphoid - they looked just like those in the photos posted ...... plus a few sparrow skeletons as they were not covered and not in a enclosed space! I was banned from access to the water tanks after that .... but all the tanks were replaced.

Archived