Jump to content
BANGKOK
webfact

Ministries scramble to offset loss of toxic pesticides

Recommended Posts

20 hours ago, webfact said:

He said agricultural cooperatives might have to begin encouraging wider use of machines on the plantations, which would also require production changes.

Hardly a unique approach, welcome to the 21st century!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"He said agricultural cooperatives might have to begin encouraging wider use of machines on the plantations, which would also require production changes."

 

The girlfriends family have small plots scattered all over the place I'm sure a few larger plots would work better but who am to say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I get the whiff of a coming pesticide/herbicide subsidy for growers of sugarcane, cassava, oil palm, rubber, corn and fruit.

This would be on top of other subsidies these and other farmers already get due to the high baht.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cadbury said:

I get the whiff of a coming pesticide/herbicide subsidy for growers of sugarcane, cassava, oil palm, rubber, corn and fruit.

This would be on top of other subsidies these and other farmers already get due to the high baht.

 

 

The problem with subsides is they don't filter through to ALL the farmers.

The only way is to have a fixed price of the products at the farm gate to make it fair for all.

So that gives the government 22 days to come up with formula otherwise farming in thailand will be thrown into turmoil for years to come.  

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, canopy said:

The purpose of a business is to make a profit, not become a burden to the taxpayer. Just let the cost of the product rise to reflect how much it actually costs to provide. If it costs more to make, the consumer pays more to buy it. Free market, no subsidies.

 

I agree with you in principle and your theory is fine for the domestic market but to let the new high cost of production (without chemicals) dictate the price of exports it will spell doom for exporters.......unless of course the export prises are subsidised.

Exports of farm produce now is difficult enough with the high baht already and some have to be subsided otherwise these exports will just diminish (rice?). 

All other surrounding countries use these agricultural products to save costs. How can Thailand possibly compete against them on the export market. 

These government experts have created the law, let them come up with the solutions to keep export prices competitive.

But so typically the Thailand government makes rash knee decisions first and worries about the consequences later. Growers cannot change their farming methods overnight; that might take decades. 

Pity help these export growers next year, their fate has been sealed.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cadbury said:

All other surrounding countries use these agricultural products to save costs. How can Thailand possibly compete against them on the export market. 

Simple. Don't compete with them in the dredges of the world. Sell to affluent nations that require and test for clean food that fetches higher profits and where cheap, poison drenched crops are prohibited. Scary thing is it might just work so well that all Thai rice gets exported and we get to eat the chemical stuff imported from surrounding countries.

 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, digger70 said:

Poor farmers can't buy more machines and employ more people to do the work of the Herbicides . That only means More Debt for the farmers . Why haven't they come up with a Replacement Herbicides that will do the job (for the same costs)   they haven't ,,, they can't.

All I hear is poor farmers poor farmers.... they are poor because they refuse to change their ways & modernise to become efficient, many other countries seem able to change without the constant pleading poverty!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, canopy said:

Simple. Don't compete with them in the dredges of the world. Sell to affluent nations that require and test for clean food that fetches higher profits and where cheap, poison drenched crops are prohibited. Scary thing is it might just work so well that all Thai rice gets exported and we get to eat the chemical stuff imported from surrounding countries.

 

Congratulations! Easy-peasy.......you alone have solved the problem. Well done.

BTW are you referring to the certification for "clean food" that can be purchased under the counter at the relevant authority. Everything has it's price in Thailand.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

BTW are you referring to the certification for "clean food" that can be purchased under the counter at the relevant authority. Everything has it's price in Thailand.

 

Of course not. I am talking about international standards where inspections and testing occurs in stringent countries who care about clean food.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...