BANGKOK
DiDiChok

Piped water supply very dirty occasionally

It sounds to me as if you may be on one of the many 'Private Water Supplies'. My girlfriend's house in Korat had the same problem until I discovered that city water passed right outside her gate. It cost about 3500 baht to connect into that and was done within 10 days - problem solved.

Do you know if you are on a state water supply or a private company one?

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Jaggg88 said:

As stated HomePro will have filters and will also install them. I tried to source a micron mesh style filter that would remove the worst of the contamination before it got to our pre-tank cloth style filter but as yet haven't been able to find a supplier. The contamination is so bad on our supply that the filter regularly blocks.

Any idea how many microns the filter is and size?  

I would think replacing a duplex 20”, 20 micron filter once per month should handle that kind of sediment.  If that doesn’t do the job a small sand filter might be needed, where you can backwash the filter...

Edited by tjo o tjim

Don't be fooled, divining rods don't work. Studies show they are simply responding to the movements of the person holding them. Nothing to do with water. You'll find that in Thailand the divining rods always point to the most convenient place to park their truck. . I had 3 diviners come out and give a quote. While they disagreed on location, each spot sure was a perfect spot to park their truck. Each will emphatically say that is the only minuscule point on the whole property there is water and refuse to drill anywhere else. One even had this fancy battery powered gadget "from America" they thought would impress me. All I could think of was those bomb scanners.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tjo o tjim said:

Any idea how many microns the filter is and size?  

I would think replacing a duplex 20”, 20 micron filter once per month should handle that kind of sediment.  If that doesn’t do the job a small sand filter might be needed, where you can backwash the filter...

Depends all on the size from the sediment. We use well water, but for some use we use rainwater. The well water I filter to 1 Micron, I start with 50, before the pump.. And then after the pum 35, 10 and 1. The 1 micron never gets dirty, so that means the particels are mostly filtered out by the 10 micron.

Our rain water is a different story. I used the same sequence of filters, but the 1 micron got very dirty, the 50 Micron stays always clean. The 35 micron starts to filter out sediment. So I moved all the filters, skipped the 50 Micron and started now with 35 and end with a ceramic filter from 0.1 Micron (or, I start to doubt now, maybe it is 0.3 Micron) Anyway, even that filter gets very dirty. I suppose it is dust from the roof, although we start to collect the water after at least one hour heavy rain. Before the rain season starts I clean the guttering with a brush and a sponge. The good thing from the ceramic filters is that you can wash them in HCl, the ceramic solves in the acid, and gives you a close to new filter. The other filters, I tried backwashing, but the results are disapointing.

The best is to have the water checked for what is in it. But I did this only with our well water, many years ago.

• Thanks 1

its  Ok according to others its fine to use that water for cleaning your teeth🤮

This is "village  water"...................avoid it  like the plague............dig some deepwater well spend some money youll be a lot  happier

On 11/9/2019 at 12:08 AM, Arjen said:

Our rain water is a different story. I used the same sequence of filters, but the 1 micron got very dirty, the 50 Micron stays always clean. The 35 micron starts to filter out sediment. So I moved all the filters, skipped the 50 Micron and started now with 35 and end with a ceramic filter from 0.1 Micron (or, I start to doubt now, maybe it is 0.3 Micron) Anyway, even that filter gets very dirty. 

Sounds like the PM2.5 counts are accurate...

On 11/12/2019 at 6:28 AM, tjo o tjim said:

Sounds like the PM2.5 counts are accurate...

Never realised this! You must be correct!!

On 11/8/2019 at 8:20 AM, DiDiChok said:

We're not really in a small village but close to Lamphun town in Lamphun Province, which is only about 30 Km from Chiang Mai.  The Kuang river flows past less than a kilometre away and that flows into the Ping River in the town.  I have been to Isaan and seen their ponds but that doesn't seem to be how it works around here in Lanna.  Quite where the water comes from, I just don't know but will keep on asking.  I've met the local water diviner already and he makes a good living finding water for local farms despite my scepticism of the practice.  I feel that if something like that works, you can't really knock it.

I've seen a few houses with water tanks and gizmos but how those are set up and what kind of filtration is used is what I would like to know.  I had hoped that someone on here would have perfected that knowledge already having gone through the experience of installing different systems until one was found to work.  I also agree with posters that the problem must be due to sediment but I'm stuck for a nudge in the right direction.  I'm disappointed that there seems to be no obvious "Buy an automatic Acme Ltd filtration system" answer yet.

The late King favoured or championed a three stage gravity feed gravel/sand filter system comprising three giant earthenware "Isaan pots". 

Another solution might be a swimming pool style filter. 

But I don't have an  Acme Ltd filtration system" answer