What's the next best spots for nightlife after Bangkok, pattaya, phuket?

Mrfox

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Matzzon said:

It´s the same thing. Between now and onwards to februari it will be a little bit of a high season. Never same high season like in the bigger and more known cities you´ve chosen before.

Also during the yearly military exercise "Cobra Gold" it will be alot of US soldiers there. Mostly in Udon Thani.

In other aspects, it will mostly be the expats living there that you will meet. They also have meetings for US veterans in Udon Thani once a month. Think it is the first or second sunday every month, but not 100% sure.

Alright good to know! Will Google the night scene there unless you have favorites you can share. But thanks!

16 hours ago, BestB said:

Do not know if it still exists, but Tapaz club is Silom use to be awesome. Not too many hookers, mainly office girls wanting to meet and hang around with  foreigners, Guys were mostly under 40 expats and a few tourist. Great music, over 2 floors. Drinks were little expansive but still worth it. Met some fun girls in there, sales manager for BMW show room, Marketing Manger for Johnston & Johnston, lawyers etc.

Something different, hopefully they are liberal...

12 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

i would come to Hua Hin way before RETURNING to Chiang Mai.

and Hua Hin is a very small town compared to CM.

They killed the obvious places in CM. still many Thai clubs to go. Universities.

Don't laugh but there is a web site called Redcat Thailand that does a pretty good job of listing every place a single guy might want to go in Thailand. I have spend the last five years systematically going to most of the locations listed on his sight.  35,000 kilometer on my motorcycle just going to every soapy, massage shop, girlie bar, Thai clubs, red light hotels.  just about everywhere listed. Sometimes a total bust, sometimes amazing. You could design a train trip around his suggestions going from BKK to Ubon Ratchathani.

After BKK I have had the best times in Kanchanaburi, Surin, Korat, Roi Et, Cha Am, Hua Hin, Ubon Ratchathani.

and i had a great time and i am in my 60's. but my personally is I don't socialize with expats.

and i don't hang in bars talking with other men drinking beer. so some of these places may not be for you.

I am off to Koh Chang this month.

Wow, the dude has crazy ass info there! How much did all that cost. Anyway, don't mind the socializing with others but definitely focus is on the ladies and fun! Koh Chang, good?

13 hours ago, khunPer said:

If you are the party-style guy then Koh Samui is an excellent choice – beach parties and night clubs; and trendy cafes, some with live-music – perhaps a trip to neighboring Koh Phangan's Haad Rin Sunrise Beach for a Full Moon Party.

You didn't state an age, but if younger then both islands great dating sites with lots of single females, also foreigners.

If you are looking for bars only, Samui and Phangan are however limited, best spot for bar-life on the islands might be Lamai Beach on Samui.

There are to my knowledge still some bars up in Hua hin.

Mid 30s

41 minutes ago, Mrfox said:

Alright good to know! Will Google the night scene there unless you have favorites you can share. But thanks!

Nah, there are quite many bars in the areas, but Udon Thani have ATM Bar and all the bars around that one as the main spots. I just like to walk from one to the other, and have no favorites. The other places and cities I´ve just visited a couple of times. Guess you better google to get as updated info as possible.

21 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

i am just sitting here waiting for the antibiotics to finish working. :shock1::cheesy: and then i hit the road again.

I hope your antibiotic is not of the Fluoroquinolone group?.... the stuff is poison, but that does not stop doctors prescribing it. (Or were you just joking?)

21 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

came home to Hua Hin on the ferry for two days to rest and talk to my cats. 

If you stuck with the pussy with 4 legs you would not need the antibiotics. Though I will admit the average cat is not a good f***

As for the motorcycle, hope it is still there when you get back! The Thais long ago stole my 750 chopper. Thank God my other ‘chopper‘ is still attached.

As long as hitting Bar's, GoGo's and Disco's catering to Farangs, they are more or less the same. Regardless of Geography. Even the "modus operendi" is basically the same.

As an alternative I recommend the following:
- Cruise around Rural-Thailand with a Thai Native that you have known for a while. He will locate "places of interest for males" in no time at all. Even in the smallest of towns.
That can make for a "different experience", especially if the establishement has never been visited by a Farang before.

Just a few things to consider: Mostly, a Farang will be welcome. On very rare occasions, a Farang may face some hostilities by local Thai males present. Them disliking that the Farang get's all the attention and fearing that the Farang may disrupt the established "price-structure".
This is where your Thai Companion proves invaluable. With some basic diplomacy and buying a few drinks, he will avoid any escalation. The Farang has to do nothing except to remain calm and friendly. Especially as there alway seem to be some members of the local Police force present. Upholding "law and order" even in their spare time in those "places of interest for males". Respect!:smile:

As said, a "hostile-environement", is very rare. Only twice in a time period of 5 years did I have to rely on the diplomatic skills of my Thai Companion.
This as an alternative to the hum-drum, run of the mill establishements, catering strictly to Farangs. (Yawn).

11 hours ago, swissie said:

As long as hitting Bar's, GoGo's and Disco's catering to Farangs, they are more or less the same. Regardless of Geography. Even the "modus operendi" is basically the same.

As an alternative I recommend the following:
- Cruise around Rural-Thailand with a Thai Native that you have known for a while. He will locate "places of interest for males" in no time at all. Even in the smallest of towns.
That can make for a "different experience", especially if the establishement has never been visited by a Farang before.

Just a few things to consider: Mostly, a Farang will be welcome. On very rare occasions, a Farang may face some hostilities by local Thai males present. Them disliking that the Farang get's all the attention and fearing that the Farang may disrupt the established "price-structure".
This is where your Thai Companion proves invaluable. With some basic diplomacy and buying a few drinks, he will avoid any escalation. The Farang has to do nothing except to remain calm and friendly. Especially as there alway seem to be some members of the local Police force present. Upholding "law and order" even in their spare time in those "places of interest for males". Respect!:smile:

As said, a "hostile-environement", is very rare. Only twice in a time period of 5 years did I have to rely on the diplomatic skills of my Thai Companion.
This as an alternative to the hum-drum, run of the mill establishements, catering strictly to Farangs. (Yawn).

that's going to be tough as i don't know locals that i trust enough. 

On 11/9/2019 at 5:39 AM, Mrfox said:

Mid 30s

If you are looking for night life of the kind you have experienced in Pattaya and BKK then you will be hugely disappointed in the likes of Udon and Khon Kaen. 
A street of Bars, mostly empty which close around midnight. 
Most of the people who promote these places for night life have never experienced a good night out in the likes of Pattaya. 
Trust me, you are comparing chalk and cheese. 
If you want to move on, a guy your age needs to experience Samui and has been mentioned the Full Moon parties. 

2 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

the Lamai bar scene was completely dead last time I visited, sad to see

Thanks for your update, yes it – Lamai bar scene – seem to be declining, it's about a year since I last passed through at night time.

Samui is mainly for young folks – which would join parties and clubs in mainly Chaweng instead of bars – and numerous couples and families with children that don't visit beer bars with girls.

19 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Thanks for your update, yes it – Lamai bar scene – seem to be declining, it's about a year since I last passed through at night time.

Samui is mainly for young folks – which would join parties and clubs in mainly Chaweng instead of bars – and numerous couples and families with children that don't visit beer bars with girls.

What...no more foam party

On 11/9/2019 at 3:38 PM, khunPer said:

Then Samui will be a great place for you...????
I have mid 30'ies friends here that either refuse to leave, or come back again-and-again...????

Lived there more than 20 years ago until the mass tourism started (Chaweng). Is it still full of ladyboys? I will never forget when at New Years eve the main disco burned down because of fireworks.

59 minutes ago, Beggar said:

Lived there more than 20 years ago until the mass tourism started (Chaweng). Is it still full of ladyboys? I will never forget when at New Years eve the main disco burned down because of fireworks.

That was many years ago, more than two decades, that Reggae Pub burned. The story I heard was about a Swede using firework New Years Eve inside the wooden club buildings.

There are no ladyboys allowed in Reggae Pub, the story talked about someone killed in the mens rooms by a ladyboy.

There are two cabaret shows and a LGBT community – they even have a dedicated gay hotel – so yes, some both drags and katoys around, mixed with gays and tomboys, and the other about 14 kind of defined genders that I cannot remember by heart. However, they are not disturbing at all, and easy to avoid, especially if you are a kind person.

I sometimes have a gorgeous young smiling katoy dancing with me on the stage at Green Mango Club – little sad she's not a real girl – we have great fun entertaining the audience together, and she know that I'm interested in genuine females only...????

1 hour ago, baansgr said:

What...no more foam party

555 – no more Bauhuaus. Was still there the first years I came to Samui from 2001, and still foam-parties, but more foam that guest, and it ended up being foam only, so they gave up.

But you missed the great Lamai-era with Fuzion Club after party – one of the very best House Music clubs – and the amazing always fully packed Super Sub late night club, which unfortunately only lasted about 8 years.

Super Sub...

35-DSC03281.jpg.21de8233fec7f17b992a758fcf1b118b.jpg

37-DSC03291.jpg.1fd18a36b990ec137f4281fece1aa21e.jpg

15 hours ago, khunPer said:

555 – no more Bauhuaus. Was still there the first years I came to Samui from 2001, and still foam-parties, but more foam that guest, and it ended up being foam only, so they gave up.

But you missed the great Lamai-era with Fuzion Club after party – one of the very best House Music clubs – and the amazing always fully packed Super Sub late night club, which unfortunately only lasted about 8 years.

Super Sub...

35-DSC03281.jpg.21de8233fec7f17b992a758fcf1b118b.jpg

37-DSC03291.jpg.1fd18a36b990ec137f4281fece1aa21e.jpg

dang...outside of the top 3, places are either too dangeranous or only a glimpse of past glory. Maybe onto vietnam?

Full-Moon-Party-2016_DSC03482w.jpg.c06d166700efc8ae6de3605c61d1ca8b.jpg

3 hours ago, Mrfox said:

dang...outside of the top 3, places are either too dangeranous or only a glimpse of past glory. Maybe onto vietnam?

I can only speak in details about Samui, where I'm a frequent gust in the club-scene nightlife normally not less than three time a week, and that is not dangerous at all if you behave fairly "normal" – i.e. stay away from drugs, and don't argue and mingle with the wrong folks – I find my native Scandinavian home country many fold more dangerous.

Times are changing, and so is the nightlife venues. I heard about "Past glory" already 18-years ago, when I came to the island first time – today "past glory" for some is even something that I have experienced, and a decade from now "past glory" is now – the change of venues doesn't mean that it's past the good times, just that it's different, and in progress from old times' "glory". Also hot places are changing, from for example from Lamai to Chaweng Beach, if you are looking for party nightlife.

Back in the hippie days in Lamai, folks lived in primitive bungalows on the beach – fan only when there were power in the grid – when raining the roads were mud bath, no concrete, and don't mention the rainy season. It had it's charm, but I bet many young folks would run screaming away today, where the standrad is a nice aircon room like Ark Bar Beach Resort in Chaweng – and if I share a photo of the original Ark Bar none of today's young folks would think of visting that place – the need for good and preferably gourmet restaurants, trendy pubs and cafes, and organized safe parties.

Ark-Bar-2000-2001.jpg.a9cb084d423781c22d676c8c097897a7.jpg
Ark Bar 2000-2001 – click here to see what it's like today...????

But if you look for something like Samui once was, perhaps Koh Rong by Cambodia might be of interest, they are said to also have a Full Moon Party.

However, if you are beoynd old folks memories of "past glory", the experience of an up-to-date genuine FMP might also be of interest...????

Full-Moon-Party-2016_DSC03482w.jpg.c06d166700efc8ae6de3605c61d1ca8b.jpg

On 11/8/2019 at 12:55 PM, bkk6060 said:

For what exactly?

If you are looking for bars, it is quite watered down from what it use to be but Chiang Mai still has some bar areas and a few places to meet girls.

If looking for bars and nightlife don't go to Chiang Mai. I lived next to Loi Kroh Rd, which is THE nightlife road in C M, but the bars are dire, and prices extraordinary.

20 hours ago, khunPer said:

What happened to the big bar area across the lagoon next to the Reggae Pub?

I got there after the big place burnt down, but there were still loads of bar beers nearby.

Haven't been back this century, so don't know what the current scene is.

10 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Ark Bar 2000-2001 – click here to see what it's like today...????

AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH. Kill me now!

I first happened on the Ark bar when it was further up the beach and a real genuine hippy hangout.

Then it moved and went upmarket- ie greed ruined it.

What I see in that photo is just diabolical. Insanity gone mad.

13 minutes ago, khunPer said:

and if I share a photo of the original Ark Bar none of today's young folks would think of visting that place

That's not the original. The original was further up the beach, but it was already ruined from what it started out as by the time that photo was taken.

15 minutes ago, khunPer said:

Also hot places are changing, from for example from Lamai to Chaweng Beach, if you are looking for party nightlife.

LOL. Back in the 90s, the scene was all in Chaweng. Lamai had a bar area, but nothing like mid Chaweng. There were a couple of clubs near the walkway to the Reggae Pub and the big disco itself across the lagoon.

19 minutes ago, khunPer said:

However, if you are beoynd old folks memories of "past glory", the experience of an up-to-date genuine FMP might also be of interest...????

I went to a few FMPs on Phangan in the early 2000s. Back then the bars only extended half way along the beach, so I used to go and sleep on the sand up there when I got tired. Loved looking at the moon pass overhead and so quiet and peaceful away from the noise.

Early morning was such a laff watching drunk farang boys going into the bushes with "girls", only to emerge soon after chasing the ladyboys.

A celebration of drunkenness, urinating in the sea, being arrested for illegal drug use and lady boy fun- what was not to enjoy?

19 hours ago, khunPer said:

I sometimes have a gorgeous young smiling katoy dancing with me on the stage at Green Mango Club – little sad she's not a real girl – we have great fun entertaining the audience together, and she know that I'm interested in genuine females only...????

Ah, the Green Mango. I never went in as not interested in that sort of thing, but I passed by it many a time on my way across the lagoon.

You should have walked on the wild side at least once. Part of the great tapestry of life.

19 hours ago, khunPer said:

That was many years ago, more than two decades, that Reggae Pub burned. The story I heard was about a Swede using firework New Years Eve inside the wooden club buildings.

A lot more than 2 decades. It was burned when I went in '93, assuming talking about the really big building that had a memorial to Jim Morrison of the Doors.

There was a smaller building across the road that was being used as a disco.

Those big buildings all had thatched roofs and were fires waiting to happen. There was a huge hotel on the beach that had same sort of roof, JR Palace or something like that. It burnt down too- but I heard it was arson. I still have a burnt knife I found among the debris which I kept as a souvenir of an amazing building. I don't think we'll ever see such fantastic buildings again. It's all concrete now- sad. 

On 11/10/2019 at 6:54 AM, swissie said:

Cruise around Rural-Thailand with a Thai Native that you have known for a while. He will locate "places of interest for males" in no time at all. Even in the smallest of towns.

LOL. That brings back the memories.

Hit Bkk early 90s. Not been there since the 70s, so I asked one of the male staff to tell me where the bars were. he refused to tell me unless he was with me ( obviously wanted some monetary recompense ), so went out on my own. Walked along Sukhumvit and completely missed Nana, which was only inside the entrance then, not like now, and ended up in Patpong. Horrible place.

Wasn't till my next visit that I discovered Soi Cowboy. Tilac was a very different bar in those days to the horror it is now. I had all my GFs from there till I discovered Nana- paradise on earth.

Some years later I was in Krabi on my own and stumbled on a Thai karaoke bar. I was somewhat taken aback by the huge thigh length boots the singers wore ( they were still wearing shoes in Bkk ), but an enjoyable enough evening and one of the waitresses made me a paper bird as a souvenir, which I still have. I was of course the only farang in there.

BTW, after they finished making The Beach, the film crew left the big gold Buddha from the opening scene on the main street of Krabi town, which I mistook for the real thing ( it was made from polystyrene ). Sadly it's gone now.

Archived