Jomtien Immigration Health Insurance Now Required for O-A Extensions

My recent experience at Jomtien Immigration.........From November 1 (my visit 4 Nov) Immigration is implementing the new Health Insurance requirements: 1) if you are seeking an "Extension to Stay' based upon a Non Imm O-A Visa then proof of Health Insurance must be provided, 2) I was told that only Thai Companies identified on the website "Longstay.tgia.org" can be used to meet the requirement, 3) I was told that my USA-company insurance is NOT acceptable.  I am uncertain if I can have the USA company "certify" my insurance by completing the Thai form at http://longstay.tgia.org.copaniesoa........this may only work for the initial O-A Visa application vs extensions needed later on (I did not ask at Jomtien).  Does anyone know the answer?

I am not pleased (understatement) with the possibility of having to purchase redundant (unneeded) insurance.  Good luck.

• Thanks 1

OP, who at Jomtien immigration told you that insurance (Thai only) is required for an extension of stay ???? The copy shop nexxt door, the front desk, or the actual extension counter.

After being told "USA insurance is NOT acceptable", You then go on to say "I did not ask at Jomtien" and the need for insurance is a "possibility"

Are you speculating that insurance is now required for a extension or you have been definitely told this by the extension counter at Jomtien?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

so to summarise, keep the real insurance for your health needs but buy the sham thai insurance to stay here

this country gets more eff'd up by the day

Yes, I am afraid that is what I am suggesting!

It is less distasteful if one views the Thai insurance requirement as a big sham in itself, to perhaps get rid of the O-A and it's extensions, and/or force business towards Thai overpriced and poor insurances. 

Have you perhaps considered visiting a Visa agent?

Edited by jacko45k
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Consider buying a Thai qualifying insurance that has a large deductible on it. Apparently they are out there now. An insurance broker like AA might help. The deductible will bring the cost down. Your USA insurance would be your defacto one, the Thai one, simply to enable the retirement extension. You may find a policy where the two can work together too.

Thanks for useful feedback. 

In another thread a couple of BMs & @Sheryl have said that Insurance brokers have told them that you cannot have a policy with deductibles, not sure whether this is no deductibles at all or none that would mean your cover would be less than 400k/40K

However, it might be worth talking to your current insurance company to see if you can take deductibles on that & use the savings from that to pay for the Thai one (as you suggest, ideal if the 2 policies will work together & the Thai one would cover the deductibles from the US one). 

I'm sure it will all come out in the wash over the next few months which I know doesn't help the OP & others like him that need to process their extensions soon... 

Good Luck OP, hope you get it sorted with the minimal hassle/cost (TBH given the choice between paying for a) Useless insurance, b) Using an Agent or C) heading to Laos to get a Non-O - I think my preference would go CBA.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike Teavee said:

In another thread a couple of BMs & @Sheryl have said that Insurance brokers have told them that you cannot have a policy with deductibles, not sure whether this is no deductibles at all or none that would mean your cover would be less than 400k/40K

I have not heard that yet, but of course it is possible. But I saw examples of policies with deductibles that were claimed to be suitable for O-A Visa/Extension insurance, so at this time am not sure what the status is.  Obviously the cover much reach 400/40k, as that is what is specified, but I have yet to see 'rules' that exclude deductibles.... and also have already asked the question if Thai immigration have signed off on such policies. Brokers don't make any immigration rules. 

What a mess. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 2

If this extends in the future to include Non Imm O and subsequent extensions, I plan to keep my UK insurance going (cover for about 13 million Baht, no outpatient) and source the absolutely cheapest, rock bottom priced Thai cover from the list (but at 65 prob still not as cheap as i'd like).

I assume if you have to make a claim and have 2 policies, you can only claim on one of them per incident? So if it was minor, claim on the Thai one, and major, claim on the UK one.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

you can think about it all you like but i wouldn't be thinking about it past age 75 or it'll be a one way ticket home if it comes in.

The future is always full of uncertainties. I could get sick, I could lose my money, I could... find endless things that could make me worried every day. I think you always need a plan B if you are in a position full of uncertainties. And living here as a long stay tourist on a visa granted year by year puts you in such a position if you accept it or not. To have a realistic plan B in such a situation is better than being worried every day because you don't have one. Otherwise you just can hope the best and fear the worst. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

OP, who at Jomtien immigration told you that insurance (Thai only) is required for an extension of stay ???? The copy shop nexxt door, the front desk, or the actual extension counter.

After being told "USA insurance is NOT acceptable", You then go on to say "I did not ask at Jomtien" and the need for insurance is a "possibility"

Are you speculating that insurance is now required for a extension or you have been definitely told this by the extension counter at Jomtien?

Good questions.

OP, what/who is the source of your statement that Jomtien now requires proof of medical insurance for those renewing retirement extensions? Only one source?  

• Like 1

I received feedback today, and I tried to be sure it was as I interpreted....

Someone arriving at Swampy, who had a re-entry permit, on a retirement extension that originated  from an O-A some years old, was asked to show insurance. This seems to be a complete set relating to O-A Visas now. All one could do in such circumstances is accept a 30 day..... and then best to convert it to a Non-Imm-O and start again. (Unless one wants to buy insurance at the airport!) Anyone hear of this?

Edited by jacko45k
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

he's been planning this troll heist for 3 years damn it!

Yeah maybe.

Had a grand total of 3 posts.

I did mention before the likelihood of someone mantaining archives of aged usernames.

For example, another thread currently running today called "Getting rejected", was started by an username with a total of 4 posts since 2016.

Actually, these posts were all or most made within the last 12 hours or so. So these "people", they never posted in years, just watched the forum.

Which could indicate the username factory was established many years ago ????

As for people that posted in the past then stopped posting, and then restarted, it's easy to see they are genuine. They have a low community reputation but many posts prior to this function being added to this forum.

Edited by lkv

26 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Someone arriving at Swampy, who had a re-entry permit, on a retirement extension that originated  from an O-A some years old, was asked to show insurance. This seems to be a complete set relating to O-A Visas now. All one could do in such circumstances is accept a 30 day..... and then best to convert it to a Non-Imm-O and start again. (Unless one wants to buy insurance at the airport!) Anyone hear of this?

My next retirement extension (based on an original O-A many years ago) is not due until next August. If I leave and come back, as I plan to do next month, I have to arrange Thai insurance before I leave in order to gain re-entry. So, based on your above information, I cannot wait until next extension renewal to get the Thai insurance. (Insert colourful unhappy language here.) Let's see what others with recent experience on re-entry have to say. 

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

My next retirement extension (based on an original O-A many years ago) is not due until next August. If I leave and come back, as I plan to do next month, I have to arrange Thai insurance before I leave in order to gain re-entry. So, based on your above information, I cannot wait until next extension renewal to get the Thai insurance. (Insert colourful unhappy language here.) Let's see what others with recent experience on re-entry have to say. 

Please don't jump the gun based on my post. As you say, need some confirmation here.

Edited by jacko45k

43 minutes ago, lkv said:

Yeah maybe.

Had a grand total of 3 posts.

I did mention before the likelihood of someone mantaining archives of aged usernames.

For example, another thread currently running today called "Getting rejected", was started by an username with a total of 4 posts since 2016.

Actually, these posts were all or most made within the last 12 hours or so. So these "people", they never posted in years, just watched the forum.

Which could indicate the username factory was established many years ago ????

As for people that posted in the past then stopped posting, and then restarted, it's easy to see they are genuine. They have a low community reputation but many posts prior to this function being added to this forum.

But who is getting better of this then? Just more content and clicks. Oh wait ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Sure hope this isn't true, I am leaving for five days starting the 17th of November, have my re-entry permit in hand, don't have time to deal with insurance now, from everything I have read if you are on an extension with a re-entry you don't need insurance until your next extension application which will be in May for me

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Please don't jump the gun based on my post. As you say, need some confirmation here.

Yep, no worries. Many of us with ties to the home country have travel insurance and, in my case case, an ample credit card. But that counts for nothing in Thailand. I was going to wait till near the next renewal next summer to decide whether to stay and buy insurance or leave Thailand and move to Cambodia. That decision may come a lot sooner if I need to show insurance on my next return. Waiting for more anecdotal evidence . . . 

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Bazle said:

Do you happen to know what exactly was asked for? If there isn't some standard form, I can see problems at the airport.

Afraid not, came via 3rd party. The insurance needed is likely as per specified for Non-Imm-OA .

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

yet

Nobody knows the future I agree. But in my view they will not . At the moment you can escape this problem by going Non OA to Non O. That is a PITA but is doable.

If they go for all extensions  then for people over 75 for instance they will not be able to comply. They could but in my opinion IO  have to make  rules  that are possible. You cannot  make a rule that for some people is impossible to achieve. That would make no sense. Even for Thailand.

Edited by pontious
  • Thanks 1