BANGKOK
JTXR

Applying for NonO in-country

Sorry if this has been discussed a lot before; I've looked but the search function hasn't helped much.

Can I enter Thailand either visa exempt or on an SETV and then apply in-country to convert to a Non-Imm O visa based on retirement (not marriage)? If yes, what are the requirements, other than Bt 800K in a Thai bank account?

Thanks.

And remind us what happens next?  Must one do a border run every 90 days?  Or can one really stay in country for one year at a time?

48 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

And remind us what happens next?  Must one do a border run every 90 days?  Or can one really stay in country for one year at a time?

Immigration issues that single entry visa based upon qualifying for a extension of stay based upon retirement. The visa is only valid for entry on the day it is stamped in your passport.

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, MJKT2014 said:

Before the Non Imm O expires in 90 days you get a 1 year extension based on retirement and stay another year. I have been here more than 10 years continuously this method.

got it.  thanks.  is there a multi entry permit option at that time or does one just get re-entry permits as one needs, in case they come and go?

Have been in Thailand many years on Non-OA visa extension based on retirement.  If I want to change to a Non-O based on retirement, what do I need to do?  Leave the country and enter on a SETV or change visa  type in-country?

19 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

got it.  thanks.  is there a multi entry permit option at that time or does one just get re-entry permits as one needs, in case they come and go?

After getting the one year extension of stay a multiple re-entry permit can be applied for (3800 baht fee) that is valid up to the day the extension ends.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You can only leave the country to get a non-o visa. Or you could get a tourist visa or visa exempt entry and then apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry at immigration.

So Ive  been on  Retirement Extensions ( from an O-A originally  ) for 11 years , and suddenly I go out of Thailand and return to do as you describe above to request an 'O'.

Is doing that likely to raise the ire of Immigration officials ?

Or considered perfectly normal?

Anyone here actually done this?

2 minutes ago, zaZa9 said:

So Ive  been on  Retirement Extensions ( from an O-A originally  ) for 11 years , and suddenly I go out of Thailand and return to do as you describe above to request an 'O'.

Is doing that likely to raise the ire of Immigration officials ?

Or considered perfectly normal?

Anyone here actually done this?

i imagine a lot of people will be doing the same as you to avoid the compulsory insurance

• Like 2

On 11/8/2019 at 10:51 AM, ubonjoe said:

After getting the one year extension of stay a multiple re-entry permit can be applied for (3800 baht fee) that is valid up to the day the extension ends.

You have to do 90 day report but doesn.t take long now for that 

On 11/8/2019 at 11:01 AM, ubonjoe said:

You can only leave the country to get a non-o visa. Or you could get a tourist visa or visa exempt entry and then apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry at immigration.

..... or see a visa agent. Cheaper than travelling outside Thailand. 

On 11/8/2019 at 10:36 AM, ProbPossConf said:

Have been in Thailand many years on Non-OA visa extension based on retirement.  If I want to change to a Non-O based on retirement, what do I need to do?  Leave the country and enter on a SETV or change visa  type in-country?

Why would you want to get an O visa when you have been extending on an annual basis for many years? Nothing prevents you extending again. 

• Confused 1

On 11/8/2019 at 10:51 AM, ubonjoe said:

OK. But can you also get a re-entry permit for the 90-day Non-O before you apply for the extension of stay?