Applying for NonO in-country

14 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

It could be an option

i have to calculate the total cost of the double operation and also

be sure to have at the end the good document as a probe for the IO

it's not going to be easy at all but thank you for the idea.

Moving to Cambodia with or whiteout could also be at a cost ….. and could eventually be done at a later stage if other solutions did not work out good .

Anyway good luck wished .....I am out of TH. May 2022 as no anchors on me....

Edited by david555
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, tgeezer said:

Why would you want to get an O visa when you have been extending on an annual basis for many years? Nothing prevents you extending again. 

Because Retirement Extensions based on an O-A original entry now require health insurance. 

On 11/8/2019 at 10:29 AM, gk10002000 said:

got it.  thanks.  is there a multi entry permit option at that time or does one just get re-entry permits as one needs, in case they come and go?

You have full choice over this. I rarely leave country more than once so I pay for a single exit re entry at 1000THB. So the max cost for staying a year on year here is 1900THB for the extension and maybe an extra 1000THB for a re - entry. YMMV.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Because Retirement Extensions based on an O-A original entry now require health insurance. 

Have I missed something ?

Besides a couple of bogus reports , People are reporting business as usual doing extensions. (no matter what their original Visa entry)

I am yet to see a first hand account of an extension needing to show insurance. On the other hand, I have seen posts saying did an extension today (originial OA) and nobody asked for insurance.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Besides a couple of bogus reports , People are reporting business as usual doing extensions. (no matter what their original Visa entry)

I am yet to see a first hand account of an extension needing to show insurance. 

Mods seem to be closing most of the threads as they don't like multiple threads, but I spend time on this board and have not got the impression you have.

I hope you are correct. Do you have a link to a report of a Non-Imm-OA Permission of Stay holder doing a Retirement Extension, after Nov 1st, not requiring insurance?

Edited by jacko45k

Just now, jacko45k said:

Mods seem to be closing most of the threads as they don't like multiple threads, but I spend time on this board and have not got the impression you have.

I read the thread as well, I am one of the first posters to ask the OP for clarification. Its a new poster (3rd post) posting un-substantiated <deleted>. 

In my opinion the thread should be deleted.

If people were getting extensiones knocked back or asked for insurance for an extension, the Thaivvisa server would be crashed by now.

10 days after the changes and not one first hand account.

5 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

10 days after the changes and not one first hand account.

The second link I added later seems more conclusive. But that thread got locked out. 

If people were getting extensiones knocked back or asked for insurance for an extension, the Thaivvisa server would be crashed by now.

I don't know how many retirement Extensions Jomtien process each week, I only hear it is well down, and expect it is a small percentage of those who actually started with an O-A (O-Multiples were the easy way to come to live in Thailand many years ago). And how many of those are TV Posters? They may well be busy searching out insurance or going to Laos for a Non-Imm-O!

Edited by jacko45k

On 11/8/2019 at 9:26 AM, ubonjoe said:

Yes you can apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry at immigration.

Info here: https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_80

Many thanks for this Joe.

Could I just confirm then that my link states the requirements for changing reason to one based on being the legal father of a Thai child.

https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_78

I currently reside here on a 12 month permission to stay based on an original Non 'B' visa.

When I posed this question to my local immigration office I was told that I must leave the country and apply for a Non "O" and then return to Thailand 

2 minutes ago, JohnOFphon said:

If you are thinking about changing from a Non OA to an O to get around the insurance issue.

What are you going to do when they require O's to also have insurance? And you know they will, sooner..not later...????

Not sure who you aim the question at, but people will face that problem when they have to, at least a year hence. (It will be the retirement Extension that is incorporated, not the O-Visa). 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, qwertyuiop said:

Could I just confirm then that my link states the requirements for changing reason to one based on being the legal father of a Thai child. https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_78

Yes but it can only be done if you have a tourist visa or visa exempt entry

42 minutes ago, qwertyuiop said:

I currently reside here on a 12 month permission to stay based on an original Non 'B' visa.

Dependent upon your local immigration office you should be able to change the reason for your extension from working to one based upon being the parent of a Thai.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

The second link I added later seems more conclusive. But that thread got locked out. 

I don't know how many retirement Extensions Jomtien process each week, I only hear it is well down, and expect it is a small percentage of those who actually started with an O-A (O-Multiples were the easy way to come to live in Thailand many years ago). And how many of those are TV Posters? They may well be busy searching out insurance or going to Laos for a Non-Imm-O!

I started another thread to try and get some clarification, I would be happy to hear from even one person that has been asked for insurance, doing extension previous OA etc.

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes but it can only be done if you have a tourist visa or visa exempt entry

Dependent upon your local immigration office you should be able to change the reason for your extension from working to one based upon being the parent of a Thai.

They will probably also ask for a letter from your employer stating the date you stopped working.

15 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

I am yet to see a first hand account of an extension needing to show insurance. On the other hand, I have seen posts saying did an extension today (originial OA) and nobody asked for insurance.

Im yet to see one either.

Have a friend  was due for Retirement Extension ( arrived 3 yrs back on O-A )  on Nov 4.

He applied a week early , as anyone can , and was Extended.

No mention was made of his due date being post Oct 31.

Phuket Town IO.

On 11/9/2019 at 9:06 AM, scubascuba3 said:

i imagine a lot of people will be doing the same as you to avoid the compulsory insurance

The problem is that once immigration knows that many people are trying to change to O-visa to avoid the insurance part, immigration might do something to plug the loophole in the future.

Edited by EricTh
  • Thanks 1

On 11/9/2019 at 2:31 PM, david555 said:

one way or another transferring out and in again loosing some on the exchange rate would be worth maybe ? Bangkok  Super Rich could do that

Another way is to bring cash outside the country and come in again. But then we have to declare the money out first if it is above a certain sum i.e. above 10,000 USD or is it 20,000 USD, can't remember.

Can I enter Thailand either visa exempt or on an SETV and then apply in-country to convert to a Non-Imm O visa based on retirement (not marriage)? If yes, what are the requirements, other than Bt 800K in a Thai bank account?

Yes, you can enter on Visa exempt then get a non imm O Visa based on retirement. I just done it. Two points worth noting,

1. You need 15 days remaining on Visa or Visa exempt to start process

2. Make sure you have adequate funds in addition to the 800k. You can't or shouldn't touch this for 5 mths.

Other then that there is a lot of mucking around with addresses, owners ID, whatever house books etc and then bank stuff. Personally skip all "expert" farang advice (sorry fellas) just take proof of the 800k to immigration and ask them what else they need. It can differ slightly and the more opinions and advice you get can just make it a lot, lot more confusing.

53 minutes ago, Toadie said:

Can I enter Thailand either visa exempt or on an SETV and then apply in-country to convert to a Non-Imm O visa based on retirement (not marriage)? If yes, what are the requirements, other than Bt 800K in a Thai bank account?

Yes, you can enter on Visa exempt then get a non imm O Visa based on retirement. I just done it. Two points worth noting,

1. You need 15 days remaining on Visa or Visa exempt to start process

2. Make sure you have adequate funds in addition to the 800k. You can't or shouldn't touch this for 5 mths.

Other then that there is a lot of mucking around with addresses, owners ID, whatever house books etc and then bank stuff. Personally skip all "expert" farang advice (sorry fellas) just take proof of the 800k to immigration and ask them what else they need. It can differ slightly and the more opinions and advice you get can just make it a lot, lot more confusing.

1)

Normally and the smoothest way (less paperwork) is to start with a 90 days Non-Immigrant O obtained in your home country and after 60 days extend it 1 year at the local immigration office, cost 1900 baht. 2)

You can also after 30 days convert a 60 days SETV to a 90 days Non-Immigrant O at the local immigration office. But you need the 800k in a thai bank 2 months before the application,cost 2000 baht and after 60 days extend it 1 year, cost another 1900 baht. Then you need a copy of your rental contract,bank letter from your bank, copies of your bank book,several copies from your passport incl. the TM6-card. 2 sets of documents when converting from the SETV to the Non-Immigrant O, and then another set when extending it 1 year. 

On 11/10/2019 at 11:10 PM, EricTh said:

Another way is to bring cash outside the country and come in again. But then we have to declare the money out first if it is above a certain sum i.e. above 10,000 USD or is it 20,000 USD, can't remember.

And the same on the other side questioning if more than 9999€ or GBP's by declaring + flight price ….I guess would be more than just the other option .

Declare free taking out Thailand lowered from 20 000 USD value to 15000 now..., Europe side is starting from 10000 € must declaring it in or out

Edited by david555

On 11/11/2019 at 2:08 AM, Jingthing said:

I would suggest people with O-A's try the conversion to O sooner than later if you know what I mean. 

I fear that "O"would be already on the drawing board by the massive outcry's to do that bypass ….. remember the "enemy" is listening probably with … also the agents would like to keep their market running

4 minutes ago, david555 said:

I fear that "O"would be already on the drawing board by the massive outcry's to do that bypass ….. remember the "enemy" is listening probably with … also the agents would like to keep their market running

It's no secret if that's what you mean. Recall there was a big article in the Phuket press calling the O visa rather than OA a loophole.

I do have a guess though for whatever it's worth. 

I think people with current O extensions will be indefinitely grandfathered but access to new O visas based on retirement will be further reduced or even totally eliminated.

So that the current pool of grandfathered O people will shrink over time due to people leaving Thailand, deaths, and falling out of status of continuous O extensions. Which is easier to happen now because of things like year round money seasoning, etc. 

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

"It's no secret if that's what you mean. Recall there was a big article in the Phuket press calling the O visa rather than OA a loophole.

I do have a guess though for whatever it's worth. 

I think people with current O extensions will be indefinitely grandfathered but access to new O visas based on retirement will be further reduced or even totally eliminated.

So that the current pool of grandfathered O people will shrink over time due to people leaving Thailand, deaths, and falling out of status of continuous O extensions. Which is easier to happen now because of things like year round money seasoning, etc. 

They "forgot" to grandfather us anyway by the change how long and how much to keep in bank …..resulting that half of the money must be kept on bank a whole year ….I think they go let die the grandfathering rule....

Edited by david555

4 minutes ago, david555 said:

They "forgot" to grandfather us anyway by the change how long and how much to keep in bank …..Renoulting that half of the money must be kept on bank a whole year ….I think they go let die the grandfathering rule....

I hear you but that was kind of a tricky change. They didn't literally raise the levels.

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

I hear you but that was kind of a tricky change. They didn't literally raise the levels.

So.... let's wait for the next tricky change …? I have even a insurance who fit me ,..... enough for reasonably medical happening 12500€ each incident ,and the possibility to repatriate if needed financially to almost free healthcare at Nanny state home country 

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, zaZa9 said:

Old news. It's already totally clear that you need a health insurance when extending your stay based on an O-A Visa. It has nothing to do with immigration offices.