BANGKOK
JTXR

Applying for NonO in-country

On 11/9/2019 at 9:06 AM, scubascuba3 said:

i imagine a lot of people will be doing the same as you to avoid the compulsory insurance

The problem is that once immigration knows that many people are trying to change to O-visa to avoid the insurance part, immigration might do something to plug the loophole in the future.

Edited by EricTh
  • Thanks 1

On 11/9/2019 at 2:31 PM, david555 said:

one way or another transferring out and in again loosing some on the exchange rate would be worth maybe ? Bangkok  Super Rich could do that

Another way is to bring cash outside the country and come in again. But then we have to declare the money out first if it is above a certain sum i.e. above 10,000 USD or is it 20,000 USD, can't remember.

Can I enter Thailand either visa exempt or on an SETV and then apply in-country to convert to a Non-Imm O visa based on retirement (not marriage)? If yes, what are the requirements, other than Bt 800K in a Thai bank account?

Yes, you can enter on Visa exempt then get a non imm O Visa based on retirement. I just done it. Two points worth noting,

1. You need 15 days remaining on Visa or Visa exempt to start process

2. Make sure you have adequate funds in addition to the 800k. You can't or shouldn't touch this for 5 mths.

Other then that there is a lot of mucking around with addresses, owners ID, whatever house books etc and then bank stuff. Personally skip all "expert" farang advice (sorry fellas) just take proof of the 800k to immigration and ask them what else they need. It can differ slightly and the more opinions and advice you get can just make it a lot, lot more confusing.

53 minutes ago, Toadie said:

Can I enter Thailand either visa exempt or on an SETV and then apply in-country to convert to a Non-Imm O visa based on retirement (not marriage)? If yes, what are the requirements, other than Bt 800K in a Thai bank account?

Yes, you can enter on Visa exempt then get a non imm O Visa based on retirement. I just done it. Two points worth noting,

1. You need 15 days remaining on Visa or Visa exempt to start process

2. Make sure you have adequate funds in addition to the 800k. You can't or shouldn't touch this for 5 mths.

Other then that there is a lot of mucking around with addresses, owners ID, whatever house books etc and then bank stuff. Personally skip all "expert" farang advice (sorry fellas) just take proof of the 800k to immigration and ask them what else they need. It can differ slightly and the more opinions and advice you get can just make it a lot, lot more confusing.

1)

Normally and the smoothest way (less paperwork) is to start with a 90 days Non-Immigrant O obtained in your home country and after 60 days extend it 1 year at the local immigration office, cost 1900 baht. 2)

You can also after 30 days convert a 60 days SETV to a 90 days Non-Immigrant O at the local immigration office. But you need the 800k in a thai bank 2 months before the application,cost 2000 baht and after 60 days extend it 1 year, cost another 1900 baht. Then you need a copy of your rental contract,bank letter from your bank, copies of your bank book,several copies from your passport incl. the TM6-card. 2 sets of documents when converting from the SETV to the Non-Immigrant O, and then another set when extending it 1 year. 

I would suggest people with O-A's try the conversion to O sooner than later if you know what I mean. 

On 11/10/2019 at 11:10 PM, EricTh said:

Another way is to bring cash outside the country and come in again. But then we have to declare the money out first if it is above a certain sum i.e. above 10,000 USD or is it 20,000 USD, can't remember.

And the same on the other side questioning if more than 9999€ or GBP's by declaring + flight price ….I guess would be more than just the other option .

Declare free taking out Thailand lowered from 20 000 USD value to 15000 now..., Europe side is starting from 10000 € must declaring it in or out

Edited by david555

On 11/11/2019 at 2:08 AM, Jingthing said:

I would suggest people with O-A's try the conversion to O sooner than later if you know what I mean. 

I fear that "O"would be already on the drawing board by the massive outcry's to do that bypass ….. remember the "enemy" is listening probably with … also the agents would like to keep their market running

4 minutes ago, david555 said:

I fear that "O"would be already on the drawing board by the massive outcry's to do that bypass ….. remember the "enemy" is listening probably with … also the agents would like to keep their market running

It's no secret if that's what you mean. Recall there was a big article in the Phuket press calling the O visa rather than OA a loophole.

I do have a guess though for whatever it's worth. 

I think people with current O extensions will be indefinitely grandfathered but access to new O visas based on retirement will be further reduced or even totally eliminated.

So that the current pool of grandfathered O people will shrink over time due to people leaving Thailand, deaths, and falling out of status of continuous O extensions. Which is easier to happen now because of things like year round money seasoning, etc. 

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

"It's no secret if that's what you mean. Recall there was a big article in the Phuket press calling the O visa rather than OA a loophole.

I do have a guess though for whatever it's worth. 

I think people with current O extensions will be indefinitely grandfathered but access to new O visas based on retirement will be further reduced or even totally eliminated.

So that the current pool of grandfathered O people will shrink over time due to people leaving Thailand, deaths, and falling out of status of continuous O extensions. Which is easier to happen now because of things like year round money seasoning, etc. 

They "forgot" to grandfather us anyway by the change how long and how much to keep in bank …..resulting that half of the money must be kept on bank a whole year ….I think they go let die the grandfathering rule....

Edited by david555

4 minutes ago, david555 said:

They "forgot" to grandfather us anyway by the change how long and how much to keep in bank …..Renoulting that half of the money must be kept on bank a whole year ….I think they go let die the grandfathering rule....

I hear you but that was kind of a tricky change. They didn't literally raise the levels.

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

I hear you but that was kind of a tricky change. They didn't literally raise the levels.

So.... let's wait for the next tricky change …? I have even a insurance who fit me ,..... enough for reasonably medical happening 12500€ each incident ,and the possibility to repatriate if needed financially to almost free healthcare at Nanny state home country