Panic on Chiang Mai to Bangkok flight as "crazed foreigner" opens emergency door

webfact

Panic on Chiang Mai to Bangkok flight as "crazed foreigner" opens emergency door

1pm.jpg

Thai caption: Terror on a flight

Sanook reported that a foreign man succeeded in opening an emergency hatch on the wing of a Thai Smile aircraft that was preparing for taxi and takeoff at Chiang Mai International Airport. 

A picture showed a Caucasian male being restrained by security forces. 

The incident happened on flight WE 169 due for takeoff to Suvarnabhumi, Bangkok at 15.40 on Wednesday afternoon. 

The media reported that all the passengers had boarded when the man ran up and opened the hatch causing panic on the aircraft. 

The pilot called security and safety checks were carried out. 

Thai Smile said there were 86 passengers aboard. The flight eventually took off late at 5 pm. 

The reason for the passengers actions have not been reported and neither has his nationality. 

Sanook said no further details were available at this time. They called the person who opened the door a "crazed foreigner" in their headline. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-11-08

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Falang ting tong!   Would love to be a fly on the wall as he sits in front of the BIB and the language thing.

I always ask for the exit seat to get some legroom, had I been on that flight, which I will be in 2 weeks from bkk-cnx, maybe this wouldnt have happened, esp on the last leg of 24+ hrs and 6 flights/ airports...

5 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

Of course people will yell and panic.  Better to just sit there with your seat belt on, try to relax, and just wait as the plane descends to the 20,000 foot level and lower. 

Are you speaking from experience? 

7 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

The doors are designed so that the air pressure differential keeps them pushed shut.  A very strong person, like the hulk could open the door.  No big deal if it happens.  The pilots will quickly realize the door is open. Sure the cabin will depressurize but people in general will not suffocate unless the plane is well above 30,000 feet.  The pilots will descend, the oxygen masks may deploy, I am guessing 50/50 on a Thai maintained aircraft!  Of course people will yell and panic.  Better to just sit there with your seat belt on, try to relax, and just wait as the plane descends to the 20,000 foot level and lower. 

is the hulk a real person?

54 minutes ago, webfact said:

a foreign man succeeded in opening an emergency hatch on the wing of a Thai Smile aircraft that was preparing for taxi and takeoff

The plane wasn't even moving or off the ground yet.  How does that cause a "Panic" ?  

Some real sensationalistic jounalism here

5 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

The plane wasn't even moving or off the ground yet.  How does that cause a "Panic" ?  

You might be surprised at how people react and do start panicking.  No doubt many were yelling and shouting and some people really do panic.

10 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

I am ex Air Force.  I have been at altitude and went through high altitude training as part of one of the certifications for a test program I worked on.

Your earlier post with reference to Marvel comic characters, totally unfounded negative opinions about the aircraft safety maintenance abilities of Thai commercial flight operators (no surprise there) and ignorance of the cruising altitude of most of commercial aircraft and the associated risk of suffocation in the event of a sudden cabin depressurization leads me to the conclusion that yes indeed, you are a bit of a space cadet.

7 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

You tellin' me that you're sittin' on an airplane, taxiin' out to the runway when some clown pops the emergency door and your butt hole wouldn't pucker?

You work for Marvel comics too?

40 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

The doors are designed so that the air pressure differential keeps them pushed shut.  A very strong person, like the hulk could open the door.  No big deal if it happens.  The pilots will quickly realize the door is open. Sure the cabin will depressurize but people in general will not suffocate unless the plane is well above 30,000 feet.  The pilots will descend, the oxygen masks may deploy, I am guessing 50/50 on a Thai maintained aircraft!  Of course people will yell and panic.  Better to just sit there with your seat belt on, try to relax, and just wait as the plane descends to the 20,000 foot level and lower. 

almost all of what you have written is inaccurate or plain wrong. 

https://www.theairlinepilots.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=540

And here we go again. Non Asian foreigners will be blamed as bad guys.

Would be interesting to know where he is from. Famous for Russian and especially Chinese.

And if he goes to the hospital whether that be the normal or psychiatric one, I hope he can pay the bill or we as foreigners will get blamed again.

8 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

You tellin' me that you're sittin' on an airplane, taxiin' out to the runway when some clown pops the emergency door and your butt hole wouldn't pucker?

So when did you become such an attacker?  You used to contribute some useful comments or posts.  having a bad year?

44 minutes ago, mercman24 said:

air pressure would would keep that door closed at altitude. i reckon that guy needs testing for drugs, he was on something i reckon, he probably seen 3 elephants, charging towards him, about to be trampled,  ha ha

Yeah but at what altitude is the air pressure sufficient. I guess if he opened it just during takeoff, he'd be flying out and anyone who'd not be in seatbelts would have to hold their seats with two hands and two legs, at least close to that door.

Would really love to wave goodbye to that loser of the gene pool when passing my window on his way to the tarmac.

29 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Your earlier post with reference to Marvel comic characters, totally unfounded negative opinions about the aircraft safety maintenance abilities of Thai commercial flight operators (no surprise there) and ignorance of the cruising altitude of most of commercial aircraft and the associated risk of suffocation in the event of a sudden cabin depressurization leads me to the conclusion that yes indeed, you are a bit of a space cadet.

well your posts and ridiculous conclusions and incorrect assertions shows you have no idea what you are talking about.  Thailand airplane maintaining and safety ratings are horrible.  I posted a link and some text earlier.

"In addition to Thailand, there are only three countries that do not have a Category 1 rating. "

5 minutes ago, somtumwrong said:

Yeah but at what altitude is the air pressure sufficient. I guess if he opened it just during takeoff, he'd be flying out and anyone who'd not be in seatbelts would have to hold their seats with two hands and two legs, at least close to that door.

Would really love to wave goodbye to that loser of the gene pool when passing my window on his way to the tarmac.

You would be fairly safe at any altitude below 8,000 feet, although you would have other issues to deal with, but the chance of being 'sucked out' of the aircraft as cabin air leaves, will not be a major factor below around 15,000 feet. If you are cruising  at an altitude of say 30,000 feet, then hold on tight for the short time that you are conscious.    

39 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Plane was not "taxiin'" was preparing for taxi

"opening an emergency hatch on the wing of a Thai Smile aircraft that was preparing for taxi"

No it would not bother me, after 62 years on this planet have seen things much more terrifying than an open door on a parked aircraft. 

Archived