Panic on Chiang Mai to Bangkok flight as "crazed foreigner" opens emergency door

webfact

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

So when did you become such an attacker?  You used to contribute some useful comments or posts.  having a bad year?

I still do. But Iike a few others on this particular thread, I also pull members up for posting notions that are fundamentally incorrect.

2 hours ago, Skallywag said:

The plane wasn't even moving or off the ground yet.  How does that cause a "Panic" ?  

Some real sensationalistic jounalism here

Well I would bloody well panic, and probably give the bloke a slap....????

2 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Plane was not "taxiin'" was preparing for taxi

"opening an emergency hatch on the wing of a Thai Smile aircraft that was preparing for taxi"

No it would not bother me, after 62 years on this planet have seen things much more terrifying than an open door on a parked aircraft. 

Whilst having a joint....?

1 minute ago, Proboscis said:

I think that you forget that the suction of air leaving the cabin would pull out anyone, such as staff or someone waiting for the toilet. It could also suck out all sorts of materials that could strike the aircraft or enter the engine.

As regards the lack of breathable air, anyone with medical problems or a multitude of conditions might suffer from hypoxia (lack of sufficient oxygen). Altitude sickness and possible heart failure/attacks could result in the time it takes to get an oxygen mask on.

I always understood that when doors are set to automatic, as occurs at the beginning of every flight, that they cannot be manually opened. Perhaps this incident occurred before the order given by the captain "Doors to manual and cross check" which means the crew change the config of the doors and they cross check them (2 crew must be involved per door, one to change the config and the other to check it). If the person managed to open the door, he might have rechanged the config although that would have slowed him up. If it were configured already and he still managed to open, the chute would have deployed.

It was a window hatch, not a door. 

I guess nobody on TV has heard the pilot tell cabin crew to 'arm doors and cross check'. I've been listening to this since 1980's and on all airlines. When landed it's 'disarm doors ans cross check".

4 hours ago, Skallywag said:

The plane wasn't even moving or off the ground yet.  How does that cause a "Panic" ?  

I had the same in a plane from air asia...i had a window seat (will never happen again) and while boarding i had to sit there in the heat and diesel smell...the chinese would hurry boarding and there was no space at all for me...i could only think of getting of that hell and got panic attacks....

Will never fly a window seat again..they are tiny and not made for westerners/.

12 minutes ago, Youlike said:

I had the same in a plane from air asia...i had a window seat (will never happen again) and while boarding i had to sit there in the heat and diesel smell...the chinese would hurry boarding and there was no space at all for me...i could only think of getting of that hell and got panic attacks....

Will never fly a window seat again..they are tiny and not made for westerners/.

Yeah, those AirAsia diesels were sumthin' else huh?

Did I tellya 'bout the time I accidentally dropped the bomb from my Stuka while still parked on the apron?

5 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

The doors are designed so that the air pressure differential keeps them pushed shut.  A very strong person, like the hulk could open the door.  No big deal if it happens.  The pilots will quickly realize the door is open. Sure the cabin will depressurize but people in general will not suffocate unless the plane is well above 30,000 feet.  The pilots will descend, the oxygen masks may deploy, I am guessing 50/50 on a Thai maintained aircraft!  Of course people will yell and panic.  Better to just sit there with your seat belt on, try to relax, and just wait as the plane descends to the 20,000 foot level and

lower. 

"Sanook reported that a foreign man succeeded in opening an emergency hatch on the wing of a Thai Smile aircraft that was preparing for taxi and takeoff at Chiang Mai International Airport."

"The incident happened on flight WE 169 due for takeoff to Suvarnabhumi, Bangkok at 15.40 on Wednesday afternoon."

It was at 0 feet of altitude hence inside and outside air pressure was the same. Your point?

5 hours ago, rayluttman said:

This is assuming they don't get sucked out of the hole, it has happened.

Remember the BEA pilot who was sucked out when his windscreen shattered, but with help from crew holding his legs to stop him from being sucked completely out , the co-pilot quickly landed the plane and saved his life

5 hours ago, Skallywag said:

Because, after just enduring the whole tedious process of boarding, the other passengers realised they'd be made to disembark and sit around in the terminal again for an unspecified time while an enquiry was conducted and the hatch refitted, before going through the whole boarding rigmarole all over again.  A mad scramble to kick the offender then ensued.

Archived