Panic on Chiang Mai to Bangkok flight as "crazed foreigner" opens emergency door

webfact

5 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

And here we go again. Non Asian foreigners will be blamed as bad guys.

Would be interesting to know where he is from. Famous for Russian and especially Chinese.

And if he goes to the hospital whether that be the normal or psychiatric one, I hope he can pay the bill or we as foreigners will get blamed again.

Correction   .....Old aged foreigners !

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

The doors are designed so that the air pressure differential keeps them pushed shut. 

Er, in-flight at cruise the pressure inside the cabin is greater than the pressure outside the cabin. If the door is unlocked it will blow off. I think what you mean is that a sensor detects the pressure differential and mechanically locks the door to prevent opening?

The door closes in a way that it is pressed to the frame by the inside air pressure. So even if you unlock it you cannot open it at high altitude. 

Whatever - hope this guy gets the bill for his actions. 

12 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

The doors are designed so that the air pressure differential keeps them pushed shut. 

Er, in-flight at cruise the pressure inside the cabin is greater than the pressure outside the cabin. If the door is unlocked it will blow off. I think what you mean is that a sensor detects the pressure differential and mechanically locks the door to prevent opening?

Were you in the same high altitude course as GK?

1 hour ago, dluek said:

Yup, in the late '80s there was a Hawaiian Air flight where a sizable part of the fuselage ripped off mid flight over the Pacific. One flight attendant was sucked out to her death but all other crew and all passengers survived, including a dozen or so who sat with open air billowing all above and beside them for the final hours of the flight. (Bit more of a scenic view than they bargained for.) There was a TV movie made about this. After watching it as a kid, I have always been dutiful about keeping my seatbelt fastened when seated. 

Something i always do in case of sudden turbulence after seeing passengers hit the roof a couple of years ago.

If the door was opened while passengers are still boarding and the slide had fallen out but not inflated, it is probably many man hours and certification to put it back, delayed plane and associated cost.

had the door been armed such as the plane were taxying and the slide inflated, this would cost a small car to put it all back in

7 hours ago, webfact said:

A picture showed a Caucasian male being restrained by security forces. 

Mmm... the picture shared thru Thai visa is of a child. Sure... a male child.... but still a child. Mind you, saying “child” vs “crazed male” wouldn’t get the clicks.

28 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

This overwing exit / emergency door opens to the inside.  It is a C (plug) type door.  The differential pressure at altitude makes it impossible to open the door.  The high relative pressure inside the airplane pushes the door into its seat.

32 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Impossible as doors have to be swung inwards before they can be opened out. There is a ledge all around the perimeter of the doorway.

I can assure you that you traumatic depressurisation of an aircraft must be horrific. About thirty-odd years ago I guy I worked with was sucked/blown out, seat-and-all, then went through the right hand (starboard) inner engine of an American B747, somewhere near Hawaii. It was caused by a faulty cargo-door lock. His name was Michael. He was a doctor of the non-medical type - PHD in biochemistry or whatever. Brilliant man, but totally eccentric, (not unlike some on tv maybe) ? He came to work one day after some hi-so function wearing a dinner suit, no tie, but with one black patent leather shoe and one old slipper ! He had gone to the USA for a job interview at a major uni and got the job - they paid for the return flight, business class. Those who knew him well said that if you knew him, that was the way he would have liked to go, - apparently he was a bit of a showman !

8 hours ago, steve187 said:

crazy man, would it have opened as easily once airborne

Once over about 8000 feet, the plane is pressurized. From that point on up to cruising altitude it would be impossible for a person to open, as they open inward and the higher inside pressure and the lower outside pressure would hold the door closed pressed tight against the seals.

The strongest man in the world would not be able to open it. 

52 minutes ago, digbeth said:

If the door was opened while passengers are still boarding and the slide had fallen out but not inflated, it is probably many man hours and certification to put it back, delayed plane and associated cost.

had the door been armed such as the plane were taxying and the slide inflated, this would cost a small car to put it all back in

No slide on over-wing exits, only in the doors (front/back), but still need to refit the doors and verify that it's safely locked which takes time and involves costs. Also causes delays and inconvenience to passengers on this flight and those using same plane later. Regardless, there's probably a law and prescribed penalty for such offense and I'm quite certain this fella will be learning the details soon.

Why is there all this chat about opening of hatches or doors when an aircraft is airborne????

The plane was on the ground.

It seems people just reply from having read the headline and not the article. And then the aviation “experts” here jump in to reply to explain further about how doors can or can’t be opened in flight, and what the pilot will do blah blah blah - with no one having bothered properly to read the short article.

I saw the same syndrome on the Pattaya remand prison escape articles.

A large part of this little community here just seems to steep itself in its own fake news creations.  Entertaining - but worrying.

7 hours ago, Seismic said:

I totally agree.

Agreed the comments are totally stupid, depressurisation would suck anyone not secured out of the aircraft, generally not suffocate ?? even close to 30,000 ft the temperature is -40 ish and you would have about half a minute to get your masks on . PILOTMAN= wanabe 

29 minutes ago, Catoni said:

Once over about 8000 feet, the plane is pressurized. From that point on up to cruising altitude it would be impossible for a person to open, as they open inward and the higher inside pressure and the lower outside pressure would hold the door closed pressed tight against the seals.

The strongest man in the world would not be able to open it. 

So at 7000 feet I’d be good to go?

Archived