Panic on Chiang Mai to Bangkok flight as "crazed foreigner" opens emergency door

webfact

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, steven100 said:

stupid idiot …. jail for him for a long time.

I believe the doors cannot be opened once the aircraft is airborne ….  

I’ve see this happen before in Europe ... but airbourne and not able to do it thank heavens . Usually on drugs and get a massive panic attack and really think they are gonna die or something . Or else being chased by a Ladyboy. 

I'm ex-COD <deleted> General, 5 star

I would have knocked him out, and took pictures of his arm, face, and leg tattoos .... then called his gf in Pattaya and then his mommy to see when they expect him home.

typical farangs!!!!!   farangs are the worst!!!   go home farang or be quiet and give me money!!!!  

9 hours ago, ChakaKhan said:

Falang ting tong!   Would love to be a fly on the wall as he sits in front of the BIB and the language thing.

I always ask for the exit seat to get some legroom, had I been on that flight, which I will be in 2 weeks from bkk-cnx, maybe this wouldnt have happened, esp on the last leg of 24+ hrs and 6 flights/ airports...

..well you would have had an extra few hours to stretch your legs before getting under way.

1 hour ago, tomazbodner said:

No slide on over-wing exits, only in the doors (front/back), but still need to refit the doors and verify that it's safely locked which takes time and involves costs. Also causes delays and inconvenience to passengers on this flight and those using same plane later. Regardless, there's probably a law and prescribed penalty for such offense and I'm quite certain this fella will be learning the details soon.

On the A320 there are slides on the overwing exits. Need to be refolded, stowed, and certified.  It's expensive.  But plane can be dispatched below max capacity and window seats unoccupied.  

9 hours ago, mercman24 said:

air pressure would would keep that door closed at altitude. i reckon that guy needs testing for drugs, he was on something i reckon, he probably seen 3 elephants, charging towards him, about to be trampled,  ha ha

He drank Thai tap water.

9 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

I am ex Air Force.  I have been at altitude and went through high altitude training as part of one of the certifications for a test program I worked on.

Anyone who has been on an airplane has "been at altitude". High altitude training is given in a classroom environment; and, is even offered as a e-learning online course. I'm quite certain no one offers a course that takes an airplane to 30000 feet then intentionally blows open a door to give students a real life experience. BTW I too am ex-AF; and, hold 2 degrees from Embry Riddle Aeronautical university including a minor in Aviation Safety. 

10 hours ago, mercman24 said:

air pressure would would keep that door closed at altitude. i reckon that guy needs testing for drugs, he was on something i reckon, he probably seen 3 elephants, charging towards him, about to be trampled,  ha ha

Maybe , he lost a house or two , sad and depressed .

Nothing new in Los ..

Smoker tried to open plane door
Generic image of a woman lighting a cigarette
The woman was arrested when the plane landed in Australia
A French woman has admitted attempting to open an aeroplane door mid-flight so that she could smoke a cigarette.

Still remember reading this from 2005.  This behavior is dangerous and would cause me to Panic! 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4456076.stm

13 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Your earlier post with reference to Marvel comic characters, totally unfounded negative opinions about the aircraft safety maintenance abilities of Thai commercial flight operators (no surprise there) and ignorance of the cruising altitude of most of commercial aircraft and the associated risk of suffocation in the event of a sudden cabin depressurization leads me to the conclusion that yes indeed, you are a bit of a space cadet.

Spaced out more likely? LOL!

I am amazed by the lack of knowledge! One post saying that pressure would prevent the door from opening at altitude? Quite the opposite!

Cruising altitude from BKK to Chiang Mai would have been in the region of 37,000 - 41,000 ft (Aircraft flying above 3,000 ft IFR fly at odd numbered altitudes when travelling North - South)? Oxygen masks would automatically deploy above 15,000 ft. SOP for a decompression at altitudes above 15,000 ft is for the pilot to initiate an emergency descent to below 10,000 ft, where there is sufficient oxygen in the air to prevent hypoxia!

Just so that people who read this know, there is approximately 15 minutes of oxygen available for the passengers on a full aircraft. Emergency descent rate in the event of a decompression would be around 6,000 ftm (feet per minute) achieved by deploying spoilers and throttles to idle. The initial phase is "uncomfortable" when the aircraft "suddenly" starts the emergency descent (a bit of weightlessness, like experienced on a roller coaster ride?), but it is fine after that.

MOST IMPORTANTLY!

Put on your oxygen mask!

You will not live long if you don't!

Hypoxia occurs within 1 minute! Brain damage after about 3 minutes of lack of oxygen, death/coma after about 5 minutes!

It would take a normal airliner about 5 minutes to get from 40,000 ft to the "safe" 10,000 ft, based on the "standard" emergency descent rate of 6,000 ftm!

Hope this clears things up!

10 hours ago, Chassa said:

I guess nobody on TV has heard the pilot tell cabin crew to 'arm doors and cross check'. I've been listening to this since 1980's and on all airlines. When landed it's 'disarm doors ans cross check".

Pretty sure everyone on TV has heard this many times, unless they came here by boat - but also pretty sure the 'arming' is for the escape chute for the doors, and not related to window hatches.

5 hours ago, kensisaket said:

Anyone who has been on an airplane has "been at altitude". High altitude training is given in a classroom environment; and, is even offered as a e-learning online course. I'm quite certain no one offers a course that takes an airplane to 30000 feet then intentionally blows open a door to give students a real life experience. BTW I too am ex-AF; and, hold 2 degrees from Embry Riddle Aeronautical university including a minor in Aviation Safety. 

I never said nor suggested anything about blowing the doors open at 30,000 feet

9 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

"Sanook reported that a foreign man succeeded in opening an emergency hatch on the wing of a Thai Smile aircraft that was preparing for taxi and takeoff at Chiang Mai International Airport."

"The incident happened on flight WE 169 due for takeoff to Suvarnabhumi, Bangkok at 15.40 on Wednesday afternoon."

It was at 0 feet of altitude hence inside and outside air pressure was the same. Your point?

???? no point.  I know the plane was on the ground and there is no pressure differential

12 hours ago, transam said:

Well I would bloody well panic, and probably give the bloke a slap....????

In the old days when there were less lawyers around, I would have been temped to shove the guy out the door.  If he felt the need to open the door and leave the plane, well, I might have helped him finish his trip

17 hours ago, Skallywag said:

No it would not bother me, after 62 years on this planet have seen things much more terrifying than an open door on a parked aircraft. 

Worse than this? What did you experience? Hijacking? 

20 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

I am ex Air Force.  I have been at altitude and went through high altitude training as part of one of the certifications for a test program I worked on.

I am also ex-RAF, but part of that training is "Observation", which you seem to have missed because the aircraft was still on the ground. It could not descend from its position on the taxi way by 20,000 feet as you suggest unless it could burrow underground.

Archived