Panic on Chiang Mai to Bangkok flight as "crazed foreigner" opens emergency door

webfact

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Huckenfell said:

Remember the BEA pilot who was sucked out when his windscreen shattered, but with help from crew holding his legs to stop him from being sucked completely out , the co-pilot quickly landed the plane and saved his life

Yes it was a British Airways flight.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airways_Flight_5390

12 hours ago, PeeJayEm said:

Why is there all this chat about opening of hatches or doors when an aircraft is airborne????

The plane was on the ground.

It seems people just reply from having read the headline and not the article. And then the aviation “experts” here jump in to reply to explain further about how doors can or can’t be opened in flight, and what the pilot will do blah blah blah - with no one having bothered properly to read the short article.

I saw the same syndrome on the Pattaya remand prison escape articles.

A large part of this little community here just seems to steep itself in its own fake news creations.  Entertaining - but worrying.

Why reply when you haven't read the thread. A few people asked if the door could be opened in flight and others have responded.

Collective information is how we learn and we've also become experts at spotting troll posts too.

6 hours ago, Terry2905 said:

Spaced out more likely? LOL!

I am amazed by the lack of knowledge! One post saying that pressure would prevent the door from opening at altitude? Quite the opposite!

Cruising altitude from BKK to Chiang Mai would have been in the region of 37,000 - 41,000 ft (Aircraft flying above 3,000 ft IFR fly at odd numbered altitudes when travelling North - South)? Oxygen masks would automatically deploy above 15,000 ft. SOP for a decompression at altitudes above 15,000 ft is for the pilot to initiate an emergency descent to below 10,000 ft, where there is sufficient oxygen in the air to prevent hypoxia!

Just so that people who read this know, there is approximately 15 minutes of oxygen available for the passengers on a full aircraft. Emergency descent rate in the event of a decompression would be around 6,000 ftm (feet per minute) achieved by deploying spoilers and throttles to idle. The initial phase is "uncomfortable" when the aircraft "suddenly" starts the emergency descent (a bit of weightlessness, like experienced on a roller coaster ride?), but it is fine after that.

MOST IMPORTANTLY!

Put on your oxygen mask!

You will not live long if you don't!

Hypoxia occurs within 1 minute! Brain damage after about 3 minutes of lack of oxygen, death/coma after about 5 minutes!

It would take a normal airliner about 5 minutes to get from 40,000 ft to the "safe" 10,000 ft, based on the "standard" emergency descent rate of 6,000 ftm!

Hope this clears things up!

It’s a good thing when you can be amazed by your own lack of knowledge.

6 hours ago, Terry2905 said:

Spaced out more likely? LOL!

I am amazed by the lack of knowledge! One post saying that pressure would prevent the door from opening at altitude? Quite the opposite!

Cruising altitude from BKK to Chiang Mai would have been in the region of 37,000 - 41,000 ft (Aircraft flying above 3,000 ft IFR fly at odd numbered altitudes when travelling North - South)? Oxygen masks would automatically deploy above 15,000 ft. SOP for a decompression at altitudes above 15,000 ft is for the pilot to initiate an emergency descent to below 10,000 ft, where there is sufficient oxygen in the air to prevent hypoxia!

Just so that people who read this know, there is approximately 15 minutes of oxygen available for the passengers on a full aircraft. Emergency descent rate in the event of a decompression would be around 6,000 ftm (feet per minute) achieved by deploying spoilers and throttles to idle. The initial phase is "uncomfortable" when the aircraft "suddenly" starts the emergency descent (a bit of weightlessness, like experienced on a roller coaster ride?), but it is fine after that.

MOST IMPORTANTLY!

Put on your oxygen mask!

You will not live long if you don't!

Hypoxia occurs within 1 minute! Brain damage after about 3 minutes of lack of oxygen, death/coma after about 5 minutes!

It would take a normal airliner about 5 minutes to get from 40,000 ft to the "safe" 10,000 ft, based on the "standard" emergency descent rate of 6,000 ftm!

Hope this clears things up!

Roger that.

21 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Your earlier post with reference to Marvel comic characters, totally unfounded negative opinions about the aircraft safety maintenance abilities of Thai commercial flight operators (no surprise there) and ignorance of the cruising altitude of most of commercial aircraft and the associated risk of suffocation in the event of a sudden cabin depressurization leads me to the conclusion that yes indeed, you are a bit of a space cadet.

Not sure how Marvel comic references determine ignorance on his part, but....I can attest to the ‘unfounded’ maintenance abilities - they are founded. Suffocation....in this case hypoxia is more accurate. Just pointing out corrections to your corrections.....

57 minutes ago, whaleboneman said:

It’s a good thing when you can be amazed by your own lack of knowledge.

Lol, very good. I would pay big money if a door could be opened once airborne and cabin differential pressure at even small levels. A small correction, and addendum, to the ‘educated one’s’ post.... depending on the systems the aircraft has fitted, fixed oxygen bottles or oxygen generators, will depend on the amount of time oxygen will flow. Generators are what most late model aircraft have as it is cheaper (read ‘safer’ in airline speak), and they last around the 15 minutes stated. However they are usually contained in the overhead area from where the masks deploy and it is an extremely exothermic reaction the actual chemical generation of the oxygen. There have been instances where the supporting straps of these ‘capsules’ have given out and the units falling out and rolling around on the cabin  floor. Passengers have tried to pick them up, unwittingly, and received severe burn wounds. So - if you see a rather oversized tablet capsule rolling around the floor of an aircraft, leave it alone!

On 11/8/2019 at 3:39 PM, mercman24 said:

air pressure would would keep that door closed at altitude. i reckon that guy needs testing for drugs, he was on something i reckon, he probably seen 3 elephants, charging towards him, about to be trampled,  ha ha

But the plane was not at altitude so the door would open easier.

None the less this guy must have been  a mango short of a tree.

6 hours ago, TKDfella said:

Bit of a strange thing to do...I thought that people with flight panic problems were usually given a special 'eye' by staff. Well, that is, assuming he declared he had such a problem.

He had probably had a few too many and thought it was the loo.  Poor <deleted>.

22 hours ago, Olmate said:

So at 7000 feet I’d be good to go?

Possibly.....but I would hope it’s locked, or cabin crew and passengers stop you. For sure they would have to descend and land. But why would you want to open it in the first place? Throw yourself out without a parachute? Thai girlfriend dump you or something? 

37 minutes ago, Catoholic said:

if someone tried something like this on a flight I was on, I would ensure their next experience would be with their maker.

Tough man hey? Would you shoot him in full flight, with the gun that some amendment to some constitution allows you to carry?

On 11/8/2019 at 11:06 AM, agudbuk said:

Can you prove The Hulk is not real?

(Using a religious argument) 555

He is the long lost cousin of the big green farmer from the USA who grows and sells sweetcorn. The religious bit comes from the fact that farmers are always praying for a good crop.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived