CRV Hybrid coming to Thailand?

ChomDo

Hi,

Does anyone know if the CRV Hybrid would be coming to the Thailand anytime soon? I was going to buy the CRV 2.4L AWD this year but then decided to wait for the next model to come out. The newest CRV is from 2017 so it's also starting to look a bit outdated (or it didn't look that great from the start), so I'm hoping they would give it a facelift soon and add a hybrid option. I'm also interested in other hybrid SUV's but they don't seem to be common in Thailand yet, even though all other types come with hybrid options already.

13 hours ago, mistral53 said:

Maybe wait for this one - and it's a PHEV to boot.

It does sound good alright but I'm not so sure about MG yet. I would consider a Hybrid SUV from Honda or Mazda but I guess the wait is too long for that to happen. Also, the Volvo XC 40 would be interesting but the price in Thailand is too ridiculous to consider it at all. 

On 11/9/2019 at 10:14 AM, ChomDo said:

Thanks for the link. I guess nothing much from Honda before that then.

I test drove CRV hybrid in UK. Very impressive and with 212 bhp. You’ll just get the crappy old technology engines here in thailand. The only reason you have the relatively new 1.6 diesel option is because they’ve ditched the diesel in Europe and elsewhere and need a dumping ground for it.

4 hours ago, nchuckle said:

I test drove CRV hybrid in UK. Very impressive and with 212 bhp. You’ll just get the crappy old technology engines here in thailand. The only reason you have the relatively new 1.6 diesel option is because they’ve ditched the diesel in Europe and elsewhere and need a dumping ground for it.

Another worthless post bla bla bla. Another idiot for my block list. 

On 11/10/2019 at 6:19 PM, nchuckle said:

I don't understand this infatuation with hybrids - it takes 2/3 of the investment and complexity of a plug-in hybrid, with very little real benefit mostly limited to city driving. I would never buy such a compromised solution - I presently have a a PHEV that has benefits a hybrid can only dream of, to wit:

out of a total distance of 14,054 km traveld, 9,391 km was on pure electrical power

IMG_20190905_160304s.jpg

12 hours ago, mistral53 said:

I don't understand this infatuation with hybrids - it takes 2/3 of the investment and complexity of a plug-in hybrid, with very little real benefit mostly limited to city driving. I would never buy such a compromised solution - I presently have a a PHEV that has benefits a hybrid can only dream of, to wit:

out of a total distance of 14,054 km traveld, 9,391 km was on pure electrical power

IMG_20190905_160304s.jpg

Of course it depends on the type of mileage you do. Lots of short journeys in between which you can top up,good,but if mostly longer journeys the % of distance on plug in electricity  will be much smaller and not be worth it. The range on that power is in a few tens of kilometers 

On 11/10/2019 at 6:19 PM, nchuckle said:

I test drove both models here in Thailand and hated the 1.5 diesel with that annoying sound from the engine. For me that was a joke, but the 2.4L petrol was a nice drive. I actually pretty much just drive in BKK so I would really be much more interested in a hybrid car than waiting around in traffic with a 2.4L engine. 

What is the advantage of hybrids if all the energy on-board comes from the ICE? I don't get it. 

OK if you have decent on-board electrical capacity and can charge at home. Then maybe a few low cost kms near to home but otherwise dragging all the batteries around... At 2.4l the car is hardly leaning towards lower emissions?

48 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

What is the advantage of hybrids if all the energy on-board comes from the ICE? I don't get it. 

OK if you have decent on-board electrical capacity and can charge at home. Then maybe a few low cost kms near to home but otherwise dragging all the batteries around... At 2.4l the car is hardly leaning towards lower emissions?

I would charge at my house obviously, otherwise it wouldn't be convenient in Thailand yet. For me it's not about the cost (actually paying the extra to get a hybrid car would take a long time for me to catch up in saving some petrol expenses). At the moment I'm spending max 1 000b per month on petrol. It's more about the environmental side and the nice quiet/smooth ride. It's totally different if I'd be driving on country roads but I mostly drive short distances in the city.

Of course I would also consider the CRV non-hybrid if they had some smarter engine options and an updated look. Seems like that would't happen at least for a year or two.      

17 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

That's the bit i don't see. If all the energy comes from the engine than how can it be more environmental? 

But I suppose if it makes people happy? 

I don't get it. If I'm driving only with the electric engine (as I mentioned I make 10-20 km trips in town) it has to be environmentally friendly?

22 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Yes, but the energy on board as you call it doesn’t all come from the ICE, Hybrids have regenerative braking.

I have no idea how much the ICE contributes to the Hybrid battery on the Camry butI do know that it is bad news if the Hybrid battery goes completely flat so guess the ICE ensures that it doesn’t. And the Camry engine is an Atkinson cycle 

We have a plug-in hybrid and I’m quite surprised that even on a long run the engine frequently shuts down and the car coasts and then runs on the battery for a while.

2 hours ago, ChomDo said:

I don't get it. If I'm driving only with the electric engine (as I mentioned I make 10-20 km trips in town) it has to be environmentally friendly?

Yes but where does the energy come form for your 10-20km trips with only battery power. OK if you plug in but it is still from the engine if you don't. 

25 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Yes but where does the energy come form for your 10-20km trips with only battery power. OK if you plug in but it is still from the engine if you don't. 

From the socket in my garage, where else? That way I would run on electric only for my short trips in town.

On 11/12/2019 at 2:36 PM, VocalNeal said:

That's the bit i don't see. If all the energy comes from the engine than how can it be more environmental? 

But I suppose if it makes people happy? 

If you never step on the brakes in your driving, your comment is correct - coasting is the most fuel efficient way of driving.

If by chance you drive like most folks and have to step on the brakes occasionally for various reasons, re-gen will load some of the kinetic energy ordinarily wasted through braking into electricity, which later can be fed back into propelling your vehicle forward. That is why hybrids are most effecient in city driving and add much less of a benefit while traveling on a highway.

For me, there is another angle: As an engineer (ret), I am acutely aware of the damage done to an ICE when traveling mostly short distances, say less than 10 km. An electric motor has non of those problems - driving 5 meters or 50,000 is all the same for it. Moreover, the electric motor is a marvel of simplicity compared to an ICE - it has one spinning part - period. How many moving parts are in a twin turbocharged double overhead cam variable cam-timed and variable lift ICE...........lol

55 minutes ago, mistral53 said:

have to step on the brakes occasionally for various reasons, re-gen will load some of the kinetic energy ordinarily wasted through braking into electricity,

I am intrigued how a simple cheap hybrid does this ? If there are electric motors on the front wheels which can be used as retarders OK but a simple electric motor assisted drive train I don't see this?

Now on a simple model lifting one's foot off the accelerator to go into "coast" mode could be used to initiate some retarder mode and flash some fancy lights on the dash or maybe using the brake light switch to initiate but in real braking situations it all happens quite quickly so the time allowed for retardation/regen will be quite small. If one lived at the top of a hill maybe....

Electric or hydraulic retarders are used in heavy trucks to relieve the brakes on long descents in the west so If one lives in Northern Thailand there maybe some energy to recoup but is flat Isaan or Bangkok. ?  

I am gladdened by the motor industry starting to promote hybrid systems for an energy store for improved performance as they have realised that saving the planet is not working as a marketing tool.

Plug in i3 with range extender engine would still be my choice.

Archived