Top Thai pirate movie site shut down after complaints from Hollywood

webfact

Top Thai pirate movie site shut down after complaints from Hollywood

2pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

The top rated pirate movie website "movie2free.com" has been shut down by the Department of Special Investigation. 

The free site was earning 5 million baht a month in advertising revenues per month and had 3,000 movies available to view. Most revenue was from gambling advertising. 

A 22 year old administrator living in Chiang Mai has been arrested said DSI director general Pol Col Paisit Wongmuang.

A thirty year old Thai man living abroad started the site in 2014. 

The DSI action followed complaints from the US Motion Picture Association and eight Hollywood movie agents last year. 

The site operated using sophisticated equipment and a server abroad to avoid detection. 

About ten million views were recorded each day. 

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-11-08

35 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

The website had been up and running since 2014 apparently. With 10 million views a day, what were the copyright police doing? Ah, that's right, they were shaking down children making Garfield floats. 

What was you expecting them to do? They were all watching it themselves 

1 hour ago, rkidlad said:

The website had been up and running since 2014 apparently. With 10 million views a day, what were the copyright police doing? Ah, that's right, they were shaking down children making Garfield floats. 

Moreover, wretched foreigners (i.e. Hollywood agents) had to alert them to it. And if they hadn't, nothing would've happened.

Yeah, well. I am out of the game living on a fixed retirement income in Thailand as I can (currently) afford a working middle-class retirement, whereas I cannot afford the same in the US. Sorry, Hollywood, I have previously purchased hundreds of videos/ CDs and have absolutely no guilt about downloading those movies while in retirement. Glean you profits from those still working.

10 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

Yeah, well. I am out of the game living on a fixed retirement income in Thailand as I can (currently) afford a working middle-class retirement, whereas I cannot afford the same in the US. Sorry, Hollywood, I have previously purchased hundreds of videos/ CDs and have absolutely no guilt about downloading those movies while in retirement. Glean you profits from those still working.

For years I bought movies and tv series for VCR. They stopped making Beta, so I had to buy the same ones again on VHS. Then, I bought many of the same on laserdisc. When they phased out VHS, I had to move to DVD. I've bought the same damn shows three or four times over--not to mention that all these formats degrade rather quickly it turns out. So, I, too, think I've paid enough.

8 hours ago, kevin612 said:

5 millions monthly revenue is an excellent number. Of course Hollywood wants to shut it down. It is all about money.

It takes money to make money, and films. Did you work for free, or do you work for free? Well then...

If your wife is going to hook on the side, you should at least a piece of the action.... if she is giving it away, well then we do have a problem ????

9 hours ago, rkidlad said:

It's easier to shake down a 15 year old girl

Remember the regional encoded DVD's and players? This is how these people have done business for decades. You could buy a legit DVD in Asia and it would not work when you got home! 

They will get everything they deserve 10 times over. 

2 hours ago, Emdog said:

It takes money to make money, and films. Did you work for free, or do you work for free? Well then...

If your wife is going to hook on the side, you should at least a piece of the action.... if she is giving it away, well then we do have a problem ????

How long do people get to claim ownership for products they never had anything to do with?  The US Congress has continually extended copyright provisions over the years, even taking films and music that were already in the public domain and putting them back under copyright. With the effect, by the way, that many of the remaining old films have been lost or destroyed because archivists and restorers have lost the right to restore and exhibit what had been open to the public. And all of this to protect Mickey Mouse (see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_Term_Extension_Act ). Not only that, but the US is forcing other countries to conform to American law on copyrights, as they did with Canada in the latest USMC agreement. Just go to Project Gutenberg Canada http://gutenberg.ca/index.html to see how books already in the Canadian public domain are being threatened with being put back under copyright (meaning, btw, that many if not most of these books will simply go out of print, because there is no viable commercial market for them). 

10 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

Thats just BS.

By your logic, just go into your local supermarket and take what you want

It appears that you believe that in retirement you are somehow entitled to steal a gallon of milk, since you purchased gallons of milk when you were working! 

Ridiculous argument to justify stealing

21 hours ago, webfact said:

A thirty year old Thai man living abroad started the site in 2014.

Only 5 years in operation... that's a lot of revenue for someone, but it took a "call from Hollywood" saying do something to get action!

Thailand bluster about many things but underneath are worried about upsetting USA anymore, Thailand could be off the movie makers list if they're not careful.

I had an extensive DVD collection, legitimately purchased over the years. When I first moved to Thailand, none of them would play on a DVD player I bought in Thailand because of some <deleted> zone block. I'm now a happy pirate. Arrrrrrrrrrr

pirate.jpg

21 hours ago, JohnDone said:

Good to know that you, holier than thou foreigners, would never ever consider using some freely available sources on the internet like torrents or free movie sites.

Does pathetic hypocrites ring a bell to you?

I'm not a holier than thou my comment was a reply to rkidlad's comment I don't care if people download movies so no I am not a hypocrite

so they are making a minimum of 60 million baht a year, split a few ways.  one kid is 22, the other 30, whatever..... 

make that money young.........money is GOD.  if you are crying over 20,000 baht a month while junior is buying houses overseas every few months......it's time to think of more ways to make that money.  make that money!!!!  

but do it legally and don't get arrested.  i missed that part before......i'm sure no jail.  fine.  big fine.  but they will keep a ton of it.  

Archived