Send money to the UK

The Bangkok Bank say that I cannot have a foreign transfer of funds facility because I do not have a Work Permit and earn no money in Thailand.  I should be very grateful if some kind soul could advise me as to how else I might transfer, legally of course, Baht to the UK and convert to sterling.

I have searched the forum but could find nothing on the subject.

If you can prove you brought the  funds in and they are the same funds,you can legally take them out.

I have no work permit and have done this many times including large amounts.

For smaller amounts I go online with Krung Thai up to 100,000 baht a day and send to UK within 24 hours.

If they won't allow you to do this then wait until just before you are going to UK, withdraw in cash and go to Super Rich at the airport. 

Keep bank book and withdrawal slip from Bangkok bank and exchange note from Super Rich to show at the other end to customs and your own bank if necessary.

Not ideal but I won't be bullied by this lot when it is my own legitimate funds.

Usually the ones with biggest  opinions in the banks are the ones who do not know the rules

I am with UOB bank and when I asked about transfering money out of Thailand I was told if I could show I had transfered money into Thailand then I could transfer that ammount out. 

I receive 2 UK pensions each month and UOB issue a letter to me for each transfer, I keep all my transfer letters.

john

I also had problems with Bangkok bank. They refused to transfer my funds out of Thailand, even though I had a TT3 for the incoming funds and the land office receipt for the property sale. Their reasoning was that the sale took place 5 years ago so the funds in my account were now "different money". Getting to this conclusion took more than a week and several hours at the bank.

Walked across to Krungsri bank, showed them the same paperwork and asked if they would do the transfer if they had the funds.  They checked with their Bangkok office and confirmed they could. They let me open an account on the spot, requiring nothing more than my passport, and I then walked back to Bangkok Bank and closed my account by transferring several million baht to Krungsri.

Back to Krungsri after the transfer had cleared and initiated the transfer of funds to Singapore. They said it might take up to 3 days to process through Bangkok, but when I checked my Singapore account four hours later, it was there!

Plus, I believe Bangkok bank will not allow you to do international transfers from on-line banking unless you have a work permit. Krungsri have no such restriction and I can transfer up to 200k at a time and up to 800k a day with no supporting documentation being required.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived