Keep the calls coming - Swiss "Alien" arrested on 1,539 day overstay

webfact

Let's hope that his Alien friends will get him out of custody.

Is his rented house now called Area 51 and a road on Ko Phangan called Extraterrestrial Highway?

Well done, snitches. Call 1155 and you'll have your First Best Friend.

If you see Aliens call 1178 and your best friends will pick them up.

It was a "typical  November 6 - 11 crime sweep".

Come one, all you snitches....... call the number 1178 now. 

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

And what evidence is there that he wasn't supporting a Thai family and wen't off radar because he couldn't meet the visa requirements? Do you always think the worst in people?

This does not justify his illegal status here. And again - he also could be a dangerous criminal hiding here. I think Thailand does not need such people and I understand them. There are enough others obeying the laws.

30 minutes ago, Grumpy John said:

What I cannot understand with some posters here is the "Get whitty attitude".  So their  overstayers,  woopy do.  Explain how this has effected you personally?  They know the risks of overstaying.   Whatever their reason for doing it I don't know but at a guess I would say part of the problem is how difficult it is to get permanent residency status.  I know it frustrates the h@11 out of me! I have my own means of support,  am married to a Thai girl and still it's probably easier for me to fly to the moon than achieve PR status.

You are naive.

These kind of issues contribute to why we need visas, 90-day report, TM-30, Biometric check systems and big fine and deportation when overstayers are caught.

Thai's tar us all with the same brush and selfish knuckleheads like him make it harder for people who do follow the law.

I'm ok with this guy being deported forever. Stay legal.

8 minutes ago, Beggar said:

This does not justify his illegal status here. And again - he also could be a dangerous criminal hiding here. I think Thailand does not need such people and I understand them. There are enough others obeying the laws.

No evidence that he his a "dangerous criminal". Much more evidence that he has led his life quietly here and not previously come under the spotlight of the authorities. You certainly are a "glass half empty" kind of guy.

2 minutes ago, DLock said:

So, you think the most regulated tourism and ex-pat country is because we are all nice, law abiding citizens?

Connect the dots sizzle chest.

Generally speaking yes, we generally are nice and law abiding. The excessive regulations say much more about Thai xenophobia, perpetrated by the current government, than our behaviour.

What's a "sizzle chest"?

1 minute ago, DannyCarlton said:

Generally speaking yes, we generally are nice and law abiding. The excessive regulations say much more about Thai xenophobia, perpetrated by the current government, than our behaviour.

What's a "sizzle chest"?

No argument abut xenophobia.

And no argument that we are generally law abiding and nice.

But Thailand is just not the place to break laws regardless if someone is leading a solitary life and not hurting anyone.

It is unfortunate that the few bad apples do contribute to Government knee jerks, far reaching policies that affect everyone such immigration sweeps, personal searches, visa conditions and wanting to know where we are at any time, and they do make it harder for people to stay here legally and hassle free.

5 minutes ago, DLock said:

It is unfortunate that the few bad apples do contribute to Government knee jerks, far reaching policies that affect everyone such immigration sweeps, personal searches, visa conditions and wanting to know where we are at any time, and they do make it harder for people to stay here legally and hassle free.

We'll have to disagree on this. Didn't have any of this under Taksin. Only been ramped up since the junta took power. It's my firm belief that their reasoning is that open xenophobia against foreigners appeals to their base.

Every country has a few bad apples in it's immigrant population. Some governments use this to appeal to the outright racism amongst their base. Do you really believe that all Mexicans migrating to the US are "bad hombres"? And does this justify the "crackdown" on them?

2 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

We'll have to disagree on this. Didn't have any of this under Taksin. Only been ramped up since the junta took power. It's my firm belief that their reasoning is that open xenophobia against foreigners appeals to their base.

Every country has a few bad apples in it's immigrant population. Some governments use this to appeal to the outright racism amongst their base. Do you really believe that all Mexicans migrating to the US are "bad hombres"? And does this justify the "crackdown" on them?

Valid points.

But you Mexican example is not ideal. It is those few bad apples that blend in plain site that cause all the immigrant problems.

Just like us foreigners. They can't tell who is good and who is bad, so they have to employ measures to find out and assume all of us are bad.

Does it justify the crackdown in both cases? I respect the law, even if I disagree with it, so yes, unfortunately, broad strokes are required.

"They said it was ultimately under the orders of immigration chief Lt-Gen Sompong Chingduang and they urged the public to continue to report offenders by phoning 1178. "

So now the country is going rat?  Pathetic.  Are they paying rewards?

The sad thing is with the new mandatory medical insurance for O-A, I think we are going to be seeing a lot of this.  What is an 80 year old guy who has been here for 25 years and has no other home supposed to do if he either doesn't qualify for medical insurance or simply doesn't have the additional 80-100,000 baht per year?  A lot of us came here a long time ago, went all in for our new country and have been good citizens, but they are changing the game on us.  And now, even though I have been a good citizen, if I cannot both keep 800,000 in the bank pretty much all year AND buy the insurance, my good neighbor is going to rat me off?  I will be thrown out.  To where? 

We might be seeing an uptick in the number of old foreigner retiree suicides.  Sometimes there is nothing left.

3 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

Bad comparison.  The only Mexicans that have any worry are the ones who entered the US unlawfully.  those that enter legally, have almost all the same rights as citizens, and the game is not changed on them ex post facto.  

Here, we enter legally and take up life.  We have our 800,000 in the bank for three months before application time.  We use that money to live on for the rest of the year, as we save for the next year.  Then they change the game:  800,000 three months before AND after and 400,000 during the other six months.  Maybe some need that money to live on and cannot leave it the whole time.  What do they do?  Then bang, another game changer, mandatory medical insurance that costs another 80-100,000 a year, down the toilet, gone.   Many of you a-holes will say if they can't afford to be here they should leave.  But if they can afford to live here on the rules that were offered when they came, how is it fair to then pull the carpet out from under them?

How on earth can you compare these guys who end up on overstay because the game's been changed on them after 25 years of honest life here to the Mexicans that criminally crashed the US border?  I have some sympathy for the Mexicans, but it is NOT the same!

I do agree with the part about this being ramped up after the Junta.  But it is not only xenophobia.  It is a money grab by the general's elite backers who are in the insurance and banking industries.  Think about the billions of baht in additional premiums these insurers are going to vacuum up!  It's like taking candy from a baby.  It is incredible.  Think about all the cash people on marriage and retirement visa have stashed in stationary bank accounts!  it is 100's of billions of baht that is free capital for the banks to use for lending to all the irresponsible Thai credit card holders that are ramping up Thailand's consumer debt.  Can you imagine what would happen if every foreigner walked into their respective bank on a single day and demanded to withdraw all their money in cash?  It would cause a collapse.   

On 11/8/2019 at 11:11 AM, Eligius said:

Note the disgustingly racist act of putting an 'alien' mask on the foreigner.

How low can the media Authorities stoop in their insults?!

And all this encouragement - incitement - to snitch on people. It's right out of Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four.

Abhorrent.

It's a joke, if you live here, you should learn the language.

11 minutes ago, The Preacher said:

Thailand's consumer debt.  Can you imagine what would happen if every foreigner walked into their respective bank on a single day and demanded to withdraw all their money in cash?  It would cause a collapse.   

It wouldn't be possible because the banks don't hold so much cash. But in the end it would be an extremely small amount compared to all deposits. 

I understand your complaints and your feelings. I am an expat too. But I also understand that Thailand never guaranteed that I can stay here until the end of my days. And it is like this - they only extend my visa year after year until they don't want anymore. And I can hide if they don't grant itanymore until they find me. But then not Thailand is at fault. I always was only a tourist here and nothing more. And it would be my fault not to understand this. 

5 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

The "crackdown on oversstayers" has come from the highest level, for political reasons. Do you want to play a military junta's game for them?

I think you have hit the nail on the head here!

For as long as I can think back, overstayers never were a problem in Thailand.

They just go to immi at the airport, pay their 20k fine, 500 Baht per day, or what ever this was.

A stream of Baht coming in ...

It all indeed started for the very political reasons you have posted above and accelerated by leveraging ppl like BJ.

Overstayers are not the reason why you have all those stricter enforcements today ... it's a show to demonstrate powers.

The Thais on the street don't give an iotoa whether the guy in his bungalow hut in Phangan is on overstay or not ... as long as he 

doesn't make trouble.

"Do you want to play a military junta game for them?" ... that's really a good one to note for the whistle blowers.

13 minutes ago, Beggar said:

It wouldn't be possible because the banks don't hold so much cash. But in the end it would be an extremely small amount compared to all deposits. 

I understand your complaints and your feelings. I am an expat too. But I also understand that Thailand never guaranteed that I can stay here until the end of my days. And it is like this - they only extend my visa year after year until they don't want anymore. And I can hide if they don't grant itanymore until they find me. But then not Thailand is at fault. I always was only a tourist here and nothing more. And it would be my fault not to understand this. 

This way for the gas, ladies and gentlemen.

23 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Hmmm... why would you have to ask? Having problem understanding? Try to comprehend what you read instead. I wrote "Actually, I am so tired of them, that I would report if I knew any." I would say that is a big hint for you as a reader, that I at present time do not know any.

However, why is that a problem? I am not allowed to be tired of overstayers that I read about almost on a daily basis? Is that something that you made forbidden for me?

Oh, I understand now. You're just tired of reading about them. Thanks for the clarification, and so sorry for the misunderstanding :jap: 

12 hours ago, sanemax said:

Yes, workmates grassing me up for being late would effect my employment, IE , I could get sacked .

People grassing up overstayers has no effect on me .

A felang overstaying has no effect on me a

nd no one likes grasses , not even the people who you grass  to .

Even the bosses dont like grasses (in the UK ) 

Exactly and I have never reported a post here though sometimes I have had to suppress the urge. 

On 11/8/2019 at 4:30 AM, Misterwhisper said:

Next time immigration turn up at my door step, I'm just going to scare them away wearing my blood-curdling Klingon mask: "You expected an alien? Now you've got one, buster!"

Who would pay for the hospital bill if they grab you bat'leth and cut your weenie? ????

On 11/8/2019 at 4:11 PM, phantomfiddler said:

A good friend, an American, told me an interesting story about several years ago when his young child was enrolled in a school upcountry. After about a week his son came home from school and informed him that he (the farang father) was not a real human being ! A very sad education indeed ????

Children can be cruel.   The word for star and country are different only in tone which perhaps primary school children would be likely to latch on to.   

Person different country (Falling tone) = alien- foreigner, versus Person different star (common tone)= alien- alien.  

Many English speakers are offended by being called alien but that is also down to ignorance. 

On 11/8/2019 at 11:11 AM, Eligius said:

Note the disgustingly racist act of putting an 'alien' mask on the foreigner.

How low can the media Authorities stoop in their insults?!

And all this encouragement - incitement - to snitch on people. It's right out of Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four.

Abhorrent.

Disgustingly racist? my aren't you a sensitive soul.

To my mind they deserve kudos for obscuring his identity. 

So very easy to seek and find offense. 

1 hour ago, tgeezer said:

Children can be cruel.   The word for star and country are different only in tone which perhaps primary school children would be likely to latch on to.   

Person different country (Falling tone) = alien- foreigner, versus Person different star (common tone)= alien- alien.  

Many English speakers are offended by being called alien but that is also down to ignorance. 

We are aliens,  

Alien definition, a resident of one country who was born in or owes allegiance to another country and has not acquired citizenship by naturalization in the country of residence (distinguished from citizen).

Archived