Pattaya faces severe 2020 drought, PWA warns

Rimmer

Pattaya faces severe 2020 drought, PWA warns

image.png

Currently, the area’s five reservoirs are at only a combined 32.5 percent capacity, meaning Pattaya could see its greatest water shortage in more than five years.

PATTAYA:--Pattaya could see its greatest water shortage in more than five years due to low levels in Chonburi reservoirs feeding the city.

Sutat Nutchpan, Pattaya-area manager for the Provincial Waterworks Authority, said Oct. 30 there are fewer than 13 million cu. meters of water in five reservoirs, compared with 36.7 million cu. meters at this point last year.

Unless it rains heavily in November, Pattaya will face a drought more severe than 2015’s serious water shortages, Sutat warned.

The PWA already is laying plans to install new pipes and upgrade electrical systems to pump more water from the utility’s Nong Plalai water-production facility in Rayong to Pattaya. It also will need more water from a private supplier and reduce tap water supplies to householders in the Mabprachan and Chaknok reservoir areas, he said.

Read more: https://www.pattayamail.com/news/pattaya-faces-severe-2020-drought-pwa-warns-275033

-- PATTAYA MAIL 2019-11-08--

3 hours ago, BestB said:

I do not get it, how does a city which floods after 15 min of heavy rains has empty reservoirs?

I wonder how many experts in Water Management they have in Pattaya City Hall or anywhere else in Thailand?!   Thailand has floods and droughts, often in the same year and they haven't a clue how to find the equilibrium!     This has been going on for so many years and they can't find a solution, due to their abhorrence of asking qualified foreigners for assistance.    'Loss of face' is a more severe problem than a flood or a drought.

24 minutes ago, Greenhill said:

I wonder how many experts in Water Management they have in Pattaya City Hall or anywhere else in Thailand?!   Thailand has floods and droughts, often in the same year and they haven't a clue how to find the equilibrium!     This has been going on for so many years and they can't find a solution, due to their abhorrence of asking qualified foreigners for assistance.    'Loss of face' is a more severe problem than a flood or a drought.

Now now, careful or you'll get an ear bashing from the apologists, the fact that it has been happening for decades and they still can't solve the problem is irrelevant, this is Thailand, they have their own unique way of being clueless. ????

All those condos/hotels all have huge swimming pools, many of them more than 1 and I doubt hotel laundries are re-using the water by filtration but just dump it down the drain (and out in the bay).

They lay in the bed as they made it.

Water shortage or not, Songkran will procede as usual with water trucks, sidewalk showers and money exchanging hands. A mere water shortage, real or imagined, will never interfere with the annual water wasting mayhem in Pattaya. Stay tuned for more official lip service.

1 hour ago, Greenhill said:

The local Water Authority has it all under control ! I had 5 weeks straight where not a drop of water came through the main, only to be told by their engineer that the obvious solution was to get a bigger meter ! You couldn,t make this stuff up ????

19 hours ago, BestB said:

I do not get it, how does a city which floods after 15 min of heavy rains has empty reservoirs?

Because they didn't build any of them any where near the city. So,will Songkran be cancelled and the soapies closed down? 

Archived