Just got this from the US Embassy Services regarding the need for Insurance

New Health Insurance Requirement for Long-Stay Visa Applicants (November 8, 2019)

Event:  As of October 31, 2019, Thailand requires all long-stay (O-A and O-X) visa applicants to carry health insurance.  Per Royal Thai Police Order Number 548/2562 dated September 27, 2019, foreign nationals who have been granted a nonimmigrant O-A or O-X visa must purchase health insurance which covers their length of stay in the Kingdom of Thailand.  The coverage must be no less than 400,000 Thai Baht per policy year for inpatient care and not less than 40,000 Thai Baht per policy year for outpatient services. 

U.S. citizens can present proof of existing insurance (U.S.-based or otherwise) that covers them in Thailand or they can purchase an insurance policy via the Thai General Insurance Association’s website at http://longstay.tgia.org. 

U.S. citizens will need to download the Overseas Insurance Certificate and have it completed, signed, and stamped by their insurance company if using a non-Thai insurance policy to qualify.

Actions to Take:

·        Visit the Royal Thai Embassy website to review visa requirements.

·        Learn more about Thai health insurance policy options.

·        Learn more about Insurance Providers for Overseas Coverage.

U.S. Embassy Bangkok, Thailand

American Citizens Services

They have no clue that this has not been allowed.

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, JESSVANPELT said:

Extensions of stay based on retirement do not require health insurance.

Those getting a new retirement visa from there homee countries will have to have health insurance.

The statement is correct just not complete

No it is incorrect as it has been reported insurance from your home country will not be considered or the guys that have tried and been rejected are not telling the truth and I doubt that is the case. They seem to be requiring Thai based ins companys and they are happy to show you a list

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

19 minutes ago, JESSVANPELT said:

Extensions of stay based on retirement do not require health insurance.

Those getting a new retirement visa from there homee countries will have to have health insurance.

The statement is correct just not complete

So you know for a fact that if you are here on an O-A and have extended and will extend again...that you do not have to have insurance???

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, jackdd said:

They forgot to explain that to "proof" this you need to get the "foreign insurance certificate" signed by the directors of the company, which most insurance companies won't provide you.

They did kind of mention that in their email:

U.S. citizens will need to download the Overseas Insurance Certificate and have it completed, signed, and stamped by their insurance company if using a non-Thai insurance policy to qualify.

Just not who exactly it needs to be signed by, and the apparent difficulty in actually getting the required people to actually sign that kind of form.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hereforgood said:

No it is incorrect as it has been reported insurance from your home country will not be considered or the guys that have tried and been rejected are not telling the truth and I doubt that is the case. They seem to be requiring Thai based ins companys and they are happy to show you a list

5 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Your out of date..

All extensions coming from an original OA visa, however old, DO require insurance. 

I never said OA Visa, A lot of us originally started with an O visa and then it went to extensions based on retirement

15 minutes ago, payanak said:

I just renewed my extension of stay based on retirement yesterday (Nov, 7) at Chaeng Watana.  There was NO mention of any need for medical insurance.  This process was an 8 hour ordeal, however.  Standing room only pretty much all day. 

Do us a favor and don't bother posting unless you're going to tell us "what type on visa you entered this country on".  That is the whole thrust of this conversation...Non Immigrant O-A visas...

OK...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, mosan said:

Do us a favor and don't bother posting unless you're going to tell us "what type on visa you entered this country on".  That is the whole thrust of this conversation...Non Immigrant O-A visas...

OK...

"My 30 day tourist visa was extended no problem" ????????????

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, RPCVguy said:

We can hope our various embassy staff internationally might yet offer an alternative - one I suggested last May

Have you ever dealt with "our various embassy staff internationally?"  Wouldn't all US Embassy staff be found internationally and when would the State Dept get involved in medical savings accounts? Embassy staff are even forbidden to do signature guarantees on financial institution documents by order of the SEC.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, hereforgood said:

reported insurance from your home country will not be considered or the guys that have tried and been rejected are not telling the truth

"guys who have tried"

Tried what?

Getting an O-A visa or entering the country with an O-A visa or applying for extension of stay following an original entry on an O-A visa or applying for an extension of stay based on retirement  regardless of original entry visa?

have tried and been rejected are not telling the truth

Any links to these "guys" who have been rejected for extensions of stay?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

How would the director of your insurance know the requirements of the Thai cabinet resolution dated 2 April B.E. 2562 (2019)  , and if their insurance coverage complies? 

How would immigration know if the signatures on the form were made by three directors or three people one each, in the company mail room, the lunch lady in the staff dining room and the guy who tends the potted palms in the lobby.

Realistically, all policies the company writes have to be signed on behalf of the company and Board. Whether or not three of them would be willing to sign this document is questionable, but then you go back to plan A above.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

I applied for new spouse visa Oct. 28 at Chiang Mai immigration (had retirement visa last year). There was no mention of insurance. It was surprisingly easy (and don't think it was due to the officer being a cousin of my wife, but maybe). The immigration team came to my wife's house two days later, took photos and verified with neighbor, etc., also easy. 

Who knows, when I come to pick up my visa later this month maybe they will demand I show proof of insurance. It would be a deal-breaker for me - would have to expend so much energy and money to settle somewhere else.

I checked out some of the major farang insurers, and no way am I going to pay $300 a month, which was about the minimum I found.

Edited by SometimezaGreatNotion

13 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

How would immigration know if the signatures on the form were made by three directors or three people one each, in the company mail room, the lunch lady in the staff dining room and the guy who tends the potted palms in the lobby

????

2 hours ago, payanak said:

I just renewed my extension of stay based on retirement yespoterday (Nov, 7) at Chaeng Watana.  There was NO mention of any need for medical insurance.  This process was an 8 hour ordeal, however.  Standing room only pretty much all day. 

This is important, please tell us which visa you had, non-immigrant O or non-immigrant O-A. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ThaiBob said:

This is important, please tell us which visa you had, non-immigrant O or non-immigrant O-A. 

I politely asked for that, explaining all reports so far were either incorrect or trolling and got a indignant refusal.. 

Even if it turns out to be correct, immigration inconsistency isnt exactly unusual. The order clearly states it includes extensions of stay (for OA visa generated permissions of stay). 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1