BANGKOK
hereforgood

Just got this from the US Embassy Services regarding the need for Insurance

On 11/8/2019 at 12:16 PM, JESSVANPELT said:

Extensions of stay based on retirement do not require health insurance.

Based on what I've been reading, that's only correct if the person never first entered Thailand with an 0-A visa (because, if they did, they will have to obtain the long-stay insurance or their next extension based on retirement will not be granted).  Those obtaining annual extensions of stay based on an original Non-O visa do not (so far) have to comply with any health insurance requirement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Wake Up said:

Says who?  I have read the police order like I am sure you have and no where does it state what you are stating as fact. Do you know anyone at CW that entered Thailand on an old O-A nonimmigrant visa that has been required to produce insurance for their extension of stay based on retirement? If what you said was fact from CW you would have people on thai forums in the hundreds telling us the true facts and many would not get an extension of stay. You may be worried and upset but don’t state facts that are simply not true. 

I do. Have a close friend in Udon Thani on retirement extensions who was forced to apply for  the Thai insurance or told to leave the country. Happened about a week ago. He originally entered on an OA visa about 10 years ago, been on extensions ever since. He had a Health insurance policy (non-Thai)  for a 1,000,000 US dollars but they refused to accept it.......

Immigration officers are a law unto themselves, what the next one will do, who knows, but this DID happen. Can only hope that some sanity will soon prevail, or we all need to start making plans.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Wake Up said:

Thank you for sharing the truth and not speculation.

I think the guy you quoted has been repeatedly asked what type of visa he extended but has not yet come up with an answer.  It may indeed be the truth but may not be relevant to the insurance question being discussed in this thread.

On 11/8/2019 at 12:16 PM, JESSVANPELT said:

Extensions of stay based on retirement do not require health insurance.

Those getting a new retirement visa from there homee countries will have to have health insurance.

The statement is correct just not complete

Yes every extension for retirement visa needs an insurance.

Remember , US citizens has some privileges over other countries citizens. in Thailand. Like owning a company 100%.

Embassy don't make mistakes,or copy paste.

US citizens who has health insurance from their home country with global coverage can provide it to immigration with necessary documents.

• Confused 1

21 hours ago, rickudon said:

I do. Have a close friend in Udon Thani on retirement extensions who was forced to apply for  the Thai insurance or told to leave the country. Happened about a week ago. He originally entered on an OA visa about 10 years ago, been on extensions ever since. He had a Health insurance policy (non-Thai)  for a 1,000,000 US dollars but they refused to accept it.......

Immigration officers are a law unto themselves, what the next one will do, who knows, but this DID happen. Can only hope that some sanity will soon prevail, or we all need to start making plans.

Probably that's a life insurance. I don't know about 1 million dollars health insurance. If anyone can afford to pay premiums for a million dollar insurance then he shouldn't complain about 45000 baht a yr Thai insurance premium, Bcz 1  million dolar US insurance premium will cost 45000 baht a month in US  maybe more with global coverage. Even Union retirees or union workers don't get that kind of coverage. How do I know? because i was a union worker once.

On 11/9/2019 at 9:26 AM, Sheryl said:

There are very reliable reports from multiple members being told by CW that they would be required to have insurance to get their extensions. These people were asking in advance, not actually extending at that time. One eent so far ad to consult a senior officer.  The most recent such was on 6 November.

On what date exactly did these people get their extensions? (Wondering if it is a change subsequent to the earlier reports we got -- which would be very good news). And are you certain their original visa was OA and not O? People often confuse these.

November 6-8 and these guys have been here for years. Some married but still use retirement extension of stay. All had 800 k in bank. I have not seen their passport to confirm old  O-A non immigrant visa but they know what they are talking about and use to participate in TFV. I asked one to post who does it on his own without an agent and he said no. He is not a fan of TFV.  I am convinced no health insurance is required at CW for an extension is stay except maybe maybe if it is your first extension after entering with an O-A. Most of my friends have Cigna worldwide insurance like I do or some comparable health insurance. But none were asked for Proof of health insurance.

So I am signing off on this topic. CW has seen large crowds of people getting extensions of stay and if health insurance was required for people who years ago came to Thailand on an old expired O-A visa the numbers of complainers would be massive. IMO just like the massive uproar over the TM 30 issue which turns out to not be a big deal at CW also. 

Take care. You are a good person and I appreciate you and several others on TFV. 

On 11/10/2019 at 12:04 PM, LivinLOS said:

Its black and white (and red underline 😉 ) saying it doesnt say what it says is purely denial.. Listing what is needed for an extension of stay.. 

OA-Rules.jpg

What's most important is what is not posted and omitted, and that is the effective date of October 31 from the cut and paste above.  One should read the entire order(attached again) and note #2 just above the cut and paste. 

https://www.immigration.go.th/read?content_id=5d9c3b074d8a8f318362a8aa&fbclid=IwAR39UI_zBxVLedZKgZeAeYnvb0yyyIsr6SHPhnq64ohzACO7VsLUU_LlGn0

11 minutes ago, ThaiBob said:

What's most important is what is not posted and omitted, and that is the effective date of October 31 from the cut and paste above.  One should read the entire order(attached again) and note #2 just above the cut and paste. 

https://www.immigration.go.th/read?content_id=5d9c3b074d8a8f318362a8aa&fbclid=IwAR39UI_zBxVLedZKgZeAeYnvb0yyyIsr6SHPhnq64ohzACO7VsLUU_LlGn0

This doesn't change the correctness about what was said above. For any future extension the above quoted rules will probably be applied.

On 11/11/2019 at 5:42 PM, sencelebi said:

Yes every extension for retirement visa needs an insurance.

Cannot fully agree but it may be terminology.

An Extension of Stay (based on retirement) applied to a Non-Imm O-A Entry/ Permit To Stay, will require insurance.

An O-A Visa obtained in your home country will require insurance.

(The confusion arises as an O-A Visa is often referred to as 'a retirement Visa').

A retirement based Extension, applied for in Thailand, based on a regular Non-Imm_O Entry/ Permit to Stay, does not require insurance. (At this time).

Edited by jacko45k

12 hours ago, Wake Up said:

November 6-8 and these guys have been here for years. Some married but still use retirement extension of stay. All had 800 k in bank. I have not seen their passport to confirm old  O-A non immigrant visa but they know what they are talking about and use to participate in TFV. I asked one to post who does it on his own without an agent and he said no. He is not a fan of TFV.  I am convinced no health insurance is required at CW for an extension is stay except maybe maybe if it is your first extension after entering with an O-A. Most of my friends have Cigna worldwide insurance like I do or some comparable health insurance. But none were asked for Proof of health insurance.

So I am signing off on this topic. CW has seen large crowds of people getting extensions of stay and if health insurance was required for people who years ago came to Thailand on an old expired O-A visa the numbers of complainers would be massive. IMO just like the massive uproar over the TM 30 issue which turns out to not be a big deal at CW also. 

Take care. You are a good person and I appreciate you and several others on TFV. 

We know that there was a meeting Nov 7 at Suvannabhumi where it was clarified to airport IOs that the insurance requirement pertained only to OAs issued after Oct 31st. Since then no further reports of problems on entry. Quite likely there was clarification given to CW IOs at the same time. Good news if so.

• Like 2

On 11/10/2019 at 12:04 PM, LivinLOS said:

Its black and white (and red underline 😉 ) saying it doesnt say what it says is purely denial.. Listing what is needed for an extension of stay.. 

OA-Rules.jpg

You are assuming (1) a literal precision in the wording of TI orders which is not at all their practice. (2) a linguistic precision -- in general and especially for verb tense -- usually absent in the Thai language.

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

You are assuming (1) a literal precision in the wording of TI orders which is not at all their practice. (2) a linguistic precision -- in general and especially for verb tense -- usually absent in the Thai language.

Ohh I am not at all saying they wont do something different far far from it.. I fully expect all kinds of random applications. 

But I am saying that, very clearly, in both this and the arrival stamp in situation which they are now not following, the wording is clear. Almost unusually so. 

2 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Ohh I am not at all saying they wont do something different far far from it.. I fully expect all kinds of random applications. 

But I am saying that, very clearly, in both this and the arrival stamp in situation which they are now not following, the wording is clear. Almost unusually so. 

Not at all the case with the actual Thai wording.

It can equally be translated:

Gets a non OA visa OR

Has gotten/has recived a non OA visa

Etc etc

They did not add any of the helper words which would clarify verb tense