BANGKOK
hereforgood

Just got this from the US Embassy Services regarding the need for Insurance

Sigh.  I've never felt more stressed about coming back to Thailand than I have since this new order.  I am a 56 year old who spends anywhere from 4 to 6 months per year in Thailand for the winter months.  I'm not a fan of border runs, so the OA Visa is the best for that length of time. In addition, I'm hearing if you rack up to many runs, you stand a chance of getting rejected 

I received my OA visa in mid October, prior to the deadline from my consulate in USA.  While they did not require insurance at that time, I still purchased a policy from Regency designed specifically for this new requirement.  (As a side note, I still get travel insurance). My broker ,who got me the policy, had them fill out the certificate from the website and sign it.  I do not think it has any kind of stamp however, which may pose a problem. Who knows

I plan on arriving next week, so I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best    when I arrive, I'll post my experience here on a new thread 

Edited by bangkokbanjo
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, bangkokbanjo said:

Sigh.  I've never felt more stressed about coming back to Thailand than I have since this new order.  I am a 56 year old who spends anywhere from 4 to 6 months per year in Thailand for the winter months.  I'm not a fan of border runs, so the OA Visa is the best for that length of time. In addition, I'm hearing if you rack up to many runs, you stand a chance of getting rejected 

I received my OA visa in mid October, prior to the deadline from my consulate in USA.  While they did not require insurance at that time, I still purchased a policy from Regency designed specifically for this new requirement.  (As a side note, I still get travel insurance). My broker ,who got me the policy, had them fill out the certificate from the website and sign it.  I do not think it has any kind of stamp however, which may pose a problem. Who knows

I plan on arriving next week, so I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best    when I arrive, I'll post my experience here on a new thread 

Snap, 56 as well, I was looking to the OA as a possible Multi entry until this came along (option no longer viable), as I understand from enquiries some months ago, these Thai insurance policies may not be effective staying under 6 months in Thailand (unless something has changed that I've not found yet).  

Hope Regency works out ok, I take it you have to e-mail them for this Thailand specific policy?

I will look for your update...

7 minutes ago, UKresonant said:

Snap, 56 as well, I was looking to the OA as a possible Multi entry until this came along (option no longer viable), as I understand from enquiries some months ago, these Thai insurance policies may not be effective staying under 6 months in Thailand (unless something has changed that I've not found yet).  

Hope Regency works out ok, I take it you have to e-mail them for this Thailand specific policy?

I will look for your update...

I actually never plan on using this policy, as I got it just for satisfying the requirements for the OA visa.   

On 11/8/2019 at 5:09 PM, CALSinCM said:

A very good friend of mine who is in his early 70s has been coming here one or twice a year for extended periods on an O-A visa.  He comes for the same reasons a many single (and perhaps married) foreign guys do.  Inexpensive (until recently), female company, and exotic scenery (it ain't Kansas or Texas or anything like America).  My friend doesn't drink so I won't add that as an attraction.

With the news that O-A visas were going to require insurance, he relocated his itinerary to Cambodia almost immediately.  He began going there right after the initial news regarding insurance broke. 

His view is reflective of what will probably become a common view for guys 65 and up:  Why purchase an insurance policy that is over-priced for the minuscule amount of benefits paid and that is so packed with exclusions for pre-existing conditions and age related conditions including moratoriums on most pathologies that affect aging people that the policy is essentially useless - especially if you can self-insure.  And he has the money to self-insure.
"But, you really, really need insurance because if you get sick you may end up with a 1 or 2 million THB bill."  Really?  And what good is an insurance policy that doesn't cover that 1 or 2 million THB bill?  Seriously!

So my friend said the heck with it (I can't print what he really said) and now splits his time between Cambodia and the US. 

I believe that they'll be a downturn in the number of men in the 65 year old and up range coming to Thailand on O-A, which is sort of a harbinger of what's to come if suddenly the Non-O expats find themselves saddled with having to obtain worthless, expensive mandatory insurance for the sole purpose of 'having the privilege' to reside in Thailand. 

"Good riddance losers!"  Yeah, whatever.  Thailand isn't the only game in town and in short order nor will it be the best imho.

@CALSinCM Where in Cambodia is your friend hanging out?

I've heard that the visa situation there is very easy, but that the country can be rough around the edges.

1 hour ago, bangkokbanjo said:

They are no longer applying this requirement to visas issued before Oct 31 at the airport. Initially did and after a few days of drama and chaos there was a meeting where it was clarified.

And if they were, with the signed the certificate you would be OK for the first year. Subsequent years might be an issue though.

On 11/11/2019 at 5:58 PM, sencelebi said:

Probably that's a life insurance. I don't know about 1 million dollars health insurance. If anyone can afford to pay premiums for a million dollar insurance then he shouldn't complain about 45000 baht a yr Thai insurance premium, Bcz 1  million dolar US insurance premium will cost 45000 baht a month in US  maybe more with global coverage. Even Union retirees or union workers don't get that kind of coverage. How do I know? because i was a union worker once.

Rubbish.  I have free HEALTH insurance for life after retiring from a County job (union job ) in the USA and my policy has NO DOLLAR AMOUNT LIMITS for both in-patient and out-patient coverage (worldwide) for life.  I have already used it here in Thailand - Blue Cross / Blue Shield a.k.a. Global Core.  I pay nothing for it (now that I am retired) so please don't state your experience as a fact and assume that everyone is in the same boat with regards to health insurance.

• Like 2

On 11/11/2019 at 5:58 PM, sencelebi said:

Probably that's a life insurance. I don't know about 1 million dollars health insurance. If anyone can afford to pay premiums for a million dollar insurance then he shouldn't complain about 45000 baht a yr Thai insurance premium, Bcz 1  million dolar US insurance premium will cost 45000 baht a month in US  maybe more with global coverage. Even Union retirees or union workers don't get that kind of coverage. How do I know? because i was a union worker once.

Plenty of people paying premiums for 1 million USD in cover under an expat policy with premiums nowhete near that.  Don't confuse coverage in the US with an expat policy issued out of US or other western country. 

1 million US is typical cover level for such policies though I have seen a few  at 500,000 USD. Typically one has a choice of coverage area (1) worldwide including USA  (2) worldwide excluding USA. Some also offer a third tier that excludes a few other places. The worlwide inc USA premiums are very high but the rest not.  My 1 million policy excludes USA, UK, Singapore, Hong kong and a few other places I forget because I never go there. Costs me about 8,000 baht a month.

The excluded countries -- inc USA -- are usually covered for emergency care during trips of short duration though. 

35 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

They are no longer applying this requirement to visas issued before Oct 31 at the airport. Initially did and after a few days of drama and chaos there was a meeting where it was clarified.

And if they were, with the signed the certificate you would be OK for the first year. Subsequent years might be an issue though.

Well, I'm hoping that is true.  I'll find out in a week and post here 

On 11/8/2019 at 10:51 PM, sirineou said:

Let me see if I understand this. You will go trough the inconvenience of moving to another country,  so that you would not endure the inconvenience and lower cost of applying for an extension to stay based on Marriage?

Actually  no inconvenience to  move. I  have  dual  nationality outside of Thailand.  Lower  cost?  Not  really anymore especially with  the  additional  cost  of dubious valid  "Insurance" compelled   from Thai  based  or  affiliated  providers. Wife is  agreeable to  a new location of  habitation. Yes..married. Have  used  the  basis  of stay as  retirement because  is  less  of a  drama or  ourselves  and  Immigration   due to  the  "visitation   exercise  and  cost to  their  system.

Consider  that  reality of the  fact that  if only  500  of  those such as  myself   depart  thailand and  take  with us  our  fixed  deposits, no  longer  contribute  to  the  base economy via  living expenses derived from offshore income then  the  loss overall   will  be greater to  Thailand than  that deemed to  be the nominated  accused  cost attributed  to  those  such as  myself.

There is little  about  this  new policy  that  averts  my  suspicion that it is  a  contrived  extortion  on  behalf  of  private  business  .

I personally  would  prefer to put  expenditure  into  the provision  of  departure  and  access to  another  more  discretionary  nation  than to  maintain  my presence in Thailand  now.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Actually  no inconvenience to  move. I  have  dual  nationality outside of Thailand.  Lower  cost?  Not  really anymore especially with  the  additional  cost  of dubious valid  "Insurance" compelled   from Thai  based  or  affiliated  providers. Wife is  agreeable to  a new location of  habitation. Yes..married. Have  used  the  basis  of stay as  retirement because  is  less  of a  drama or  ourselves  and  Immigration   due to  the  "visitation   exercise  and  cost to  their  system.

Consider  that  reality of the  fact that  if only  500  of  those such as  myself   depart  thailand and  take  with us  our  fixed  deposits, no  longer  contribute  to  the  base economy via  living expenses derived from offshore income then  the  loss overall   will  be greater to  Thailand than  that deemed to  be the nominated  accused  cost attributed  to  those  such as  myself.

There is little  about  this  new policy  that  averts  my  suspicion that it is  a  contrived  extortion  on  behalf  of  private  business  .

I personally  would  prefer to put  expenditure  into  the provision  of  departure  and  access to  another  more  discretionary  nation  than to  maintain  my presence in Thailand  now.

That's entirely different than what I understood the situation to be.

If you have other better options then why not? I also have the option of dual nationality, and have initiated the process of activating it. in fact  right after this I will be calling to follow up on some documents I send.

Life is all about having options , and IMO it is foolish not to exercise the best ones. 

A change of environment might be good

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, sirineou said:
46 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

That's entirely different than what I understood the situation to be.

If you have other better options then why not? I also have the option of dual nationality, and have initiated the process of activating it. in fact  right after this I will be calling to follow up on some documents I send.

Life is all about having options , and IMO it is foolish not to exercise the best ones. 

A change of environment might be good

Also look into the option that your second nationality might provide an embassy income letter if thats an issue. Mine does, so even if I don't decide to live there I can at the very least  use that nationalities income affidavit.

On 11/13/2019 at 2:19 PM, MeePeeMai said:

Rubbish.  I have free HEALTH insurance for life after retiring from a County job (union job ) in the USA and my policy has NO DOLLAR AMOUNT LIMITS for both in-patient and out-patient coverage (worldwide) for life.  I have already used it here in Thailand - Blue Cross / Blue Shield a.k.a. Global Core.  I pay nothing for it (now that I am retired) so please don't state your experience as a fact and assume that everyone is in the same boat with regards to health insurance.

So far US insurance companies don't seem to want to play in the Thai sandbox, so you, like a lot of us local and federal retirees are in the same boat.  Wait till you get Medicare and have to pay for Part B premiums and supplemental insurance (wrap around) and I am going to bet that your going to have to take Medicare Part B despite your claim of I pay nothing for it

Once you hit 65 your going to find lots of surprises regarding health insurance despite what your agencies retirement counselors may have told you 

• Haha 1