Jump to content
BANGKOK

Recommended Posts

So I have been here on (probably) too many tourist visas (2 SETVs with extensions, 2 Visa Exempts with extensions, currently on METV) over the last 2 years and its time to either bite the bullet and pay for an Elite visa or consider other countries.   I'm 44 years old by the way so not old enough for retirement visa, nor am I married or have kids with a Thai.

 

Not sure if its relevant but I am a so called "Digital Nomad" and have my own online business and UK Ltd company so I do work where I live on my laptop, probably in the grey area as all of my income ($100K+ per year) comes from the USA.

 

I'm guessing I am answering my own question here as the Elite visa does seem to fit my needs to live somewhere long term without the hassle.    However, if I had a USA passport I would probably move to Vietnam as they offer a 1 year visa for Americans - are there any nearby countries that offer similar for UK passport holders that allow hassle free stay of up to 1 year?   I'm not keen on learning to speak Thai (rubbish at languages) and would prefer the flexibility to move to other parts of Thailand when I want to rather than being stuck where the school is so I'm not considering an Ed Visa - also I have read there is some kind of crackdown on this as well as a way to just extend tourist visas.   

 

So before I do bite the bullet and hand over 500,000 baht for a visa I am wondering if I have exhausted all possible options?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

Why not set up something with an umbrella company and be 100% legal with a work permit.. 

Theres nothing 'grey' about living here full time, working, earning 100K a year and not paying any Thai taxes. Thats not a digital nomad, its a digital tax evader.. 

I pay full UK Taxes (corporation tax and personal tax on salary and dividends) currently so not evading tax as far as I know.    I say 'grey' area as its just work I do on my laptop at home and even then most of the income is passive.    

 

Is there an option for a foreigner to legitimately open an equivalent to a UK Ltd in Thailand bearing in mind I would be the only employee?  I have no problem with paying taxes where I live but didn't think this was an option.   The only option I heard of previously was via a company called Iglu which acted as an umbrella company but I heard they have lost the ability to do this to obtain a business visa. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if you are here 180 days a year this is your tax residency, this is where your tax base is.. So yes, paying taxes in UK is not where they are due and yes you are evading Thai taxation. You know this really tho !! 

No you will not get a branch office option without Thai staff.. The only freelancer / one man band option is the umbrella company route. Iglu obtain visas and extensions on 100s of staff all the time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe is easy you open a Thai company and pay tax only on country Thailand ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

So yes, paying taxes in UK is not where they are due and yes you are evading Thai taxation. You know this really tho !! 

I may have come close (or even above 180 days), but I have also spent time in the UK over the last 2 years I have not been living here full time.   Anyway, since I am here on a tourist visa and not allowed to work how could I possible pay tax here?  

 

Iglu does not appear to be an umbrella company any more - their site suggests they only 'employ' people now and do not seem to offer any kind of umbrella services.   Are there any others or was this the only one?  If you do know of a way that I can legitimately pay taxes here, get a work permit etc I am very open to this option.    Do you have any information on where I could look to find out more info?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, jackdd said:

If he doesn't bring income into Thailand in the year it's earned he isn't evading any tax in Thailand.

Only the case for non domestic sourced income and savings.. 

 

For income where the person is actively working incountry, that is domestic sourced and taxable. That is what is controlled via the work permit process and why all income from that work needs to be declared. 

 

Of course games are very easy to play, but being easy doesnt make it legal.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, James105 said:

Iglu does not appear to be an umbrella company any more - their site suggests they only 'employ' people now and do not seem to offer any kind of umbrella services.   Are there any others or was this the only one?  If you do know of a way that I can legitimately pay taxes here, get a work permit etc I am very open to this option.    Do you have any information on where I could look to find out more info?

There were at least 2 others but with much worse costs, I dont have them bookmarked but costed one out and was amazed at how much worse it was.. I understand iglu may have changed the front facing information, so as to not appear to simply be a visa mill, but are performing the exact same service, of 'employing people' and legalizing thier employment based on the income / revenue stream. 

And yes, your visa status and your tax obligations are not in any way correlated, you can be here on 30 day visa exempt stamps and still be here over 180 days and have a tax obligation. The tax obligation doesnt even only depend on work, theres many variables (passive income brought into the country in the year it was earned, pension income, etc etc). 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is another one I'm aware of. I have no experience with them but I believe it's the same structure as Iglu. They used have pricing information which is now gone, IIRC it was in a similar ballpark to Iglu, but they were working on a fixed fee basis, presumably with the idea that they run the minimum necessary income through the structure to qualify for the work permit (which is its own issue vis a vis legality, but TIT). I think this one is run by a Thai guy.

 

https://gentres.net/  

https://www.facebook.com/gentresthailand/

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Setting up a company here and getting a work permit is not trivial, and can be expensive, since you are forced to hire Thai employees. However, if your business can be translated into additional business in Thailand, or if your Thai employees can increase your capacity back home, it could be a very good choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd look elsewhere for a more permanent place and then only visit Thailand occassiinaly. PI does the SRRV for life and wait till you are 50 for Thailand

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

I understand iglu may have changed the front facing information, so as to not appear to simply be a visa mill, but are performing the exact same service, of 'employing people' and legalizing thier employment based on the income / revenue stream. 

Why would they need to change their front facing information - is this not a legitimate way to get a business/work visa?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, James105 said:

I pay full UK Taxes (corporation tax and personal tax on salary and dividends) currently so not evading tax as far as I know.    I say 'grey' area as its just work I do on my laptop at home and even then most of the income is passive.    

 

Is there an option for a foreigner to legitimately open an equivalent to a UK Ltd in Thailand bearing in mind I would be the only employee?  I have no problem with paying taxes where I live but didn't think this was an option.   The only option I heard of previously was via a company called Iglu which acted as an umbrella company but I heard they have lost the ability to do this to obtain a business visa. 

 

It isn't grey, you live and work here, so need a work permit. It doesn't matter where your customers or your income is coming from. If you live here more than 180 days a year you are a tax resident too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...