Elite visa alternatives?

James105 FWIW I am the same age as you, married but my wife is not Thai. I am not a digital nomad but I'm sure many on Elite visas are. We've decided to get Thai Elite Visas early next year. Yes it is overpriced but it appears to be the most straightforward and hassle free way to stay in Thailand long term so we're willing to pay the premium. Also at least for now it doesn't require health insurance or a deposit beyond the initial fee. I've been to all the neighboring countries in SEA. The only one I could see myself living in is Singapore but that is too expensive so Thailand and Thai Elite it is.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, wasabi said:

James105 FWIW I am the same age as you, married but my wife is not Thai. I am not a digital nomad but I'm sure many on Elite visas are. We've decided to get Thai Elite Visas early next year. Yes it is overpriced but it appears to be the most straightforward and hassle free way to stay in Thailand long term so we're willing to pay the premium. Also at least for now it doesn't require health insurance or a deposit beyond the initial fee. I've been to all the neighboring countries in SEA. The only one I could see myself living in is Singapore but that is too expensive so Thailand and Thai Elite it is.

If you thinking of buying a nicer condo. Then maybe the Investment Visa would be an option too.

Invest 10 million baht (this can be a new condo and or cash in a bond). So they money is still yours and not gone. Maybe it's an idea!

17 minutes ago, HampiK said:

If you thinking of buying a nicer condo. Then maybe the Investment Visa would be an option too.

Invest 10 million baht (this can be a new condo and or cash in a bond). So they money is still yours and not gone. Maybe it's an idea!

Hmmm well I don't have 10 million spare ????  I think I might go and see an immigration lawyer on Monday and see if there are any other options for a business visa or this Smart visa (that I don't fully understand).  If not, then I will most likely stump up the cash for the Elite visa.   

Having an Elite visa does not allow you to legally work as a digital nomad or online in Thailand.  That visa specifically states that work is not allowed...

I had a 5-year Elite visa, AND I was working online (teaching Science).  Therefore, I wasn't 100% legal and I knew this.  Although I never had any problems about my visa or online work, I decided that I wanted to stay 100/% legally wherever I lived, including 100% legally working online.

Therefore, about 4 months ago, when my Elite visa was expiring, I relocated to Laos, got a one year renewal, multi-entry business visa and work permit that allows me to legally work online, but not work in a bricks and mortar business ????

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Having an Elite visa does not allow you to legally work as a digital nomad or online in Thailand.  That visa specifically states that work is not allowed...

I had a 5-year Elite visa, AND I was working online (teaching Science).  Therefore, I wasn't 100% legal and I knew this.  Although I never had any problems about my visa or online work, I decided that I wanted to stay 100/% legally wherever I lived, including 100% legally working online.

Therefore, about 4 months ago, when my Elite visa was expiring, I relocated to Laos, got a one year renewal, multi-entry business visa and work permit that allows me to legally work online, but not work in a bricks and mortar business ????

I would much prefer to be 100% legal if that is possible - and its a shame that option is not available in Thailand.   I am not sure if it is possible (without using some kind of shady looking umbrella company that I just know my accountant will have kittens about if I even mention it) but I will go and see a lawyer on Monday to see if I do have any options here other than the elite visa.  

32 minutes ago, simon43 said:

How the <deleted> did you get a work permit for working online for your own business?

8 hours ago, randymarsh said:

How the <deleted> did you get a work permit for working online for your own business?

I am self-employed.  There's no bricks and mortar 'business' involved.  My WP is for me to teach online and to do volunteer teaching in the Lao community.  This is Laos, not Thailand ????

• Like 2

1 hour ago, isaanistical said:

OP didn't mention any special reason for coming to LoS. How about Malaysia, with the MM2H programme - for a small fraction of the 500,000 baht Elite charges?

The reasons for Thailand are the amazing weather, (relatively) cheap cost of living as well as having the beach and sea on the doorstep... the other main reason is that the internet in Thailand is excellent for both 4G and the wired connection.   I have read that Malaysia has patchy internet so is not really a viable option.

18 hours ago, randymarsh said:

Agreed.  Ignore literally everything LivinLOS has said.

As above....

I am same age as yourself here on non_o visa based on marriage.... if they ever stop issuing the multiple entry non o visas in vietnam or singapore (like they have in various embassies in europe recently) ...... it is straight to elite visa for me.

Its not a huge outlay and can always look at it like a tax payment ????

18 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

It isn't grey, you live and work here, so need a work permit. It doesn't matter where your customers or your income is coming from. If you live here more than 180 days a year you are a tax resident too.

True that is why Thailand is only a place for bit of food and fun.  Other countries are more flexible.  Thai  government always wants something from you. 

He can live in Malaysia for six months and Thailand for four.   Indonesia is good too and can be as much fun as Thailand.  Bahasa is easier to learn, even if you are not good at languages.  Thai does not enjoy the same monetization as Bahasa.   Indonesia will be the second largest economy in Asia.  I'd look there instead of Thailand.    Best time to go to Thailand is around the holidays and avoid the Bangkok airports.  Moving around is better for a nomad anyway. 

18 hours ago, James105 said:

Unfortunately, the PI is not an option due to poor internet connectivity.  

I visit PI regularly and have no issues about the internet. Yes there are brownouts but in general works well. Have you been there and tried or just going by what others have said? Many people say flipper food is no good, yet they haven't even been there and its just a myth posted on forums as cantina food is fantastic and there is far more selection of western food at a fraction of the cost in Thailand..

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, racket said:

I get braindead every time I hear about getting 5 years for 500.000 baht. Spend a million and you get 20 years elite. That's where I'm currently stuck. 

But the 5 year one he can stretch to 6 years and then he's old enough for a retirement visa anyway.

Why try and find a loop hole where none exists? Buy the TE 5 year and be done with it.

But he's not done with it ????  He's working in Thailand, and that's not permitted on an Elite visa.  Maybe he'll have no problems.  But for me, (previously with an Elite visa and also working online), I decided that the risk was too much, mainly because IOs were asking more questions when I entered Thailand, rather than just waving me through.

Holding an Elite visa no longer makes you above the law...

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, simon43 said:

But he's not done with it ????  He's working in Thailand, and that's not permitted on an Elite visa.  Maybe he'll have no problems.  But for me, (previously with an Elite visa and also working online), I decided that the risk was too much, mainly because IOs were asking more questions when I entered Thailand, rather than just waving me through.

I am not sure if you do work for non Thai customers online, and your money also arrive in banks outside Thailand is considered work.

Actually that deep into that. But I think I read a lot of Digital Nomads became from Chiang Mai Immigration an go. So this looks like it's OK to work in Thailand for online business, as long no Thai customer is involved!

And as someone else above already wrote I never read any article whre a digital nomad which not had Thai customers was arrested or anything.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, justin case said:

if you earn 3.000.000 baht not taxed, why cry over 500.000 or 1.000.000 baht ?

or is it just show off

and what kind of work do you do that pays 100.000 usd ? interested

lol

Who is crying over 500,000 baht?   Like most people I would look to make sure I don't waste money by missing possible alternatives before spending the money.   There are other types of visas other than the Elite visa and I will consult a lawyer to see if a Smart visa is possible or preferable to the Elite visa.   There isn't much information about that on here or online but if I do qualify for that it would be a lot cheaper than the Elite visa and will allow me to do work here legally.

I won't publicly say on a forum the exact nature of my business but I publish my work via a publisher and this pays royalties, so it is mostly a passive income based on work already previously published.  Whether it's illegal to receive royalties and stay in Thailand on an Elite visa without being allowed to work is according to some illegal, and others its not a problem as nobody cares as its not taking away work from a Thai person, or in my own mind this is a 'grey area'.  

Once again, I do not live a tax free existence.  I pay full UK taxes on everything I earn (I have not been out of the UK consistently for more than 180 days and that may change from now, but I currently pay UK tax).   This is 19% corporation tax on all profits, as well as personal tax on salary and dividends I pay myself from my company.   There is no requirement to pay tax in both the UK and in Thailand so I do not.     

• Like 1

1 hour ago, James105 said:

I won't publicly say on a forum the exact nature of my business but I publish my work via a publisher and this pays royalties, so it is mostly a passive income based on work already previously published.  Whether it's illegal to receive royalties and stay in Thailand on an Elite visa without being allowed to work is according to some illegal

Receiving royalties on prior work performed outside the kingdom is not working and does not need a work permit.. Continuing to promote, engage, post about and deal with customers of that past work would be. 

Then you need to be careful to not bring into the country money paid by those royalties in the year it is earned, otherwise that creates a tax obligation even without 'working'. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, simon43 said:

But for me, (previously with an Elite visa and also working online), I decided that the risk was too much, mainly because IOs were asking more questions when I entered Thailand, rather than just waving me through.

Why would they question you and what questions were they asking ?.....surely that defeats the whole purpose of the elite visa ????????

Unless you are conducting business inside Thailand...there is no issue.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, William Osborne said:

Why would they question you and what questions were they asking ?.....surely that defeats the whole purpose of the elite visa ????????

Unless you are conducting business inside Thailand...there is no issue.

+1

Myself and other farangs I know, with TEs,  have been through BKK multiple times over the past few years.

We've NEVER been asked ANY questions. NONE.

Perhaps this is happening at CNX? Or some other airport?

• Like 1

The Thai company route plus work permit is not worth the hassle, because you actually have to setup a company with Thai employees, and then you have on-going accounting, visa fees and other fees.

If you really want to stay here, Education or TE is your only real option. Though if I was I was in your situation, without a Thai wife/kids, I'd move around. Vietnam is easier to get long term visas and it's not just for US passport holders.

I wouldn't worry about "working", what you're doing has nothing to do with Thailand. You're not earning any money here, and you're not a resident here. 

7 hours ago, galt67 said:

+1

Myself and other farangs I know, with TEs,  have been through BKK multiple times over the past few years.

We've NEVER been asked ANY questions. NONE.

Perhaps this is happening at CNX? Or some other airport?

Same, also know a bunch of TE guys, all close friends, no one ever asked anything except how the trip was...

• Like 1

On 11/10/2019 at 1:00 AM, ThomasThBKK said:
On 11/10/2019 at 12:37 AM, racket said:

I get braindead every time I hear about getting 5 years for 500.000 baht. Spend a million and you get 20 years elite. That's where I'm currently stuck. 

But the 5 year one he can stretch to 6 years and then he's old enough for a retirement visa anyway.

However, the Op solves his next 5 years of visa uncertainty for 8,333 baht per month and then has another 15 years at 33,330b per year of hassle free living in Thailand... 

If the op is looking long term, that’s a good option. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

However, the Op solves his next 5 years of visa uncertainty for 8,333 baht per month and then has another 15 years at 33,330b per year of hassle free living in Thailand... 

If the op is looking long term, that’s a good option. 

True! 

Not bad at all though.

7 minutes ago, theonetrueaussie said:

500k Just for a visa that CAN be cancelled / Stopped at any time!! Seems crazy to me especially when you can go to neighboring countries and get 1 year visas for 1/10th of the cost!!

The point is, do you want to be in, and living in those neighbouring countries. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, jacko45k said:

The point is, do you want to be in, and living in those neighbouring countries. 

Of course, why not. Many people have already made the move and many more of us are going to go once our visas finish and for 1 months cost of an elite visa you get an entire year! Truth is you get far better buying power in nearby countries as well as a much higher quality of life these days compared with thailand!

• Like 2