Transport Ministry greenlights luggage handling hike for airport taxis

webfact

Transport Ministry greenlights luggage handling hike for airport taxis

By THE NATION

800_a243593efb06fe5.jpg?v=1573188309

The Transport Ministry has agreed to the hike in the luggage handling fee to Bt20 per piece of luggage 26 inches in length or larger, though the first two pieces would be handled for free.

More than 100 members of the Thai Public Taxi Association and the Task Force for Organising Service Vehicles at Suvarnabhumi Airport blocked the entrance to the Transport Ministry on Thursday (November 7) to demand a response to their request for hikes in fares and luggage-handling fees but dispersed around 3.40pm, apparently satisfied with the results of negotiations with Ministry representatives announced by association president Pallop Chayinthu.

“The Transport Ministry has agreed to the hike in the luggage handling fee to Bt20 per piece of luggage 26 inches in length or larger, though the first two pieces would be handled for free,” he said.

“In line with our request to increase the airport surcharge rates from Bt50 to Bt70 for normal-size taxis and from Bt70 to Bt90 for larger taxis, the Ministry asked us to postpone the hike until the economy improves, fearing that it would create burden for clients and we are happy to comply,” Pallop added.

“Our last request is to extend the mandatory service life of a taxi from 9 years to 12 years to let owners of older taxis continue using their vehicles,” he said.

“The Department of Land Transport told us that they had already submitted an appeal to the Council of State and are awaiting a response. However, Minister Saksayam Chidchob promised that we should hear the result by November 29.”

Related Story: Airport taxi drivers block off Transport Ministry

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-11-08

1 hour ago, webfact said:

“The Transport Ministry has agreed to the hike in the luggage handling fee to Bt20 per piece of luggage 26 inches in length or larger, though the first two pieces would be handled for free,” he said.

I hope the point that if you only have say one suitcase and a computer bag there will be no additional charges, will be made clear to the taxi drivers....LOL

1 hour ago, Scot123 said:

So next demand will be first 2 breathing passengers free but 100baht surcharge for every other passenger. Uber and Grab are rubbing their hands. Just keep it up. 

Never used Uber or Grab. But recent developments make me think of using them in the future instead of a 'regular' taxi.

Where do you put the extra bag? We cannot fit one bag in the boot.So 2 people 2 bags ok? They are living in Disney land already we are using uber sky train or staying the night at a hotel near the airport and next day using public transport.Are they really that dumb?Answer yes.

I always thought the 50 baht surcharge us customers pay is the fee that the 50 baht fee taxis have to pay to enter the arrivals zone to pick up customers. If the 50 baht surcharge they charge arrivals customers on top of the taxi meter fee is for them picking up our luggage and putting it in their taxi, then I've been ripped off. I always put my own luggage in the taxi. Shouldn't have to pay a 50 baht surcharge then.

On 11/8/2019 at 6:18 AM, Scot123 said:

So next demand will be first 2 breathing passengers free but 100baht surcharge for every other passenger. Uber and Grab are rubbing their hands. Just keep it up. 

Good point, when ever greed pushes prices high enough another group willing to make a reasonable living will step in...as long as the politicians stay out of the process.

On 11/9/2019 at 11:05 AM, sanook 1 said:

Just avoid the headache and take the airportlink to city for 45 b. Most convenient.

How would you take the ARL between Midnight and 6am in the morning? Wouldn't you get a headache waiting for the trains on the ARL between those hours? What about people who don't live near a BTS/MRT station?

On 11/8/2019 at 6:18 PM, Scot123 said:

Um, how is Uber rubbing their hands? There hasn't been Uber in Thailand since at least 1.5 years ago!

On 11/8/2019 at 2:29 PM, StayinThailand2much said:

No problem, just deduct the extra fee from the tip. I was ripped off last time I arrived at Suvarnabhumi. Had too much luggage. Taxi driver on the way refused to turn on the meter, instead forced me to pay a 'fixed rate'. Cost him the tip I would have paid him.

Why did’nt you take his picture and report him ?

He took the fare knowing you had the luggage and then scammed you.

all you had to do was take a picture of his ID ( front left side dashboard ) and tell him you will report him to the General who said you had rights in cases like this.

Guy in here and or the Bangkok post or Nation newspapers would have helped you if you did not know what to do.

With no disrespect it is sad to say that You have let us all down really

Archived