Countertop Halogen Ovens...good brand/model to buy?

WaveHunter

So I just moved into my condo in Chiang Mai and I have no kitchen.  I eat out mostly so no big deal but I would like bake/roast foods occasionally so I'm thinking of just buying one of those halogen air-convection ovens.  Looking on Lazada there are many different brands and models, but no way to really tell which would be a "best buy".  The two brands I see mostly are Otto and SmartHome.  SmartHome look like they may be better but they have several different models, and for the life of me, I can not tell what the difference is.  Specs all look the same to me, and prices are all over the place (from 900 baht to over 3,000 baht).  The all seem to be capable of 250 degrees centigrade and have a capacity of 12 Liters.

Can anyone recommend a model that they use that could be considered a "best value"?   

3 minutes ago, canopus1969 said:

No need to spend more than 1200 Baht - don't get the Halogen type as expensive it goes wrong - just the standard is fine and will last forever - great bits of kit

I'm not sure I understand.  I thought ALL were halogen.  What is alternative that you consider "standard"?  Here is the one I am looking at purchasing:

1063556575_snapshot_2019-11-08at2_07_03PM.jpg.b7eb34cd9226a537d46552f2141792d8.jpg

https://www.lazada.co.th/-i149968507-s174651700.html?spm=a2o4m.my_wishlist.price_observing.84.4d7261081NJKuU&urlFlag=true&mp=3

It has 12 liter capacity and max temperature of 250 celsius for 60 minutes.

What do you think?

I agree don't go for the 'haolgen', not needed, a convection model is fine. I have had my OTTO for 2 years, couldn't live without it now. It is currently baking my salmon fillet. I think cost me about 1500 Baht. Great for ribs too.

4 minutes ago, Saltire said:

I agree don't go for the 'haolgen', not needed, a convection model is fine. I have had my OTTO for 2 years, couldn't live without it now. It is currently baking my salmon fillet. I think cost me about 1500 Baht. Great for ribs too.

DO you happen to know model number?

48 minutes ago, Saltire said:

What do you think of this model from Otto.  It seems to be the most powerful unit they make at 1300 watts, cooks to 250 Centigrade, and has 12L capacity:

12066971_snapshot_2019-11-08at3_23_38PM.jpg.98930049b9f5625d1e6c434cecacc657.jpg

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/otto-co-703a-12-i160560371-s193355147.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.6.45d11eb9YLpSRO&search=1

I bought an Otto with the lid/heater mounted on a lid - I paid quite a bit for that and I'm sure it's not working better than one I can pick up for 900 in Makro, but I was lazy and earning good money back then' it's still going well some 8 years later.

Negatives - the internal components are a bit cheap - the pan is now rusty, and not easy to replace, so I have to use foil to line that. It's also not so great for cleaning - every few weeks it can start to get a bit stale and stinky, so I put in some soapy water and run it on max for 20 minutes to loosen up the muck before cleaning in the sink.

Excellent for cookies - top tip there is to keep them fairly low and shielded a bit to stop the radiant heat burning them.

Great for pork joints, chicken too - and mixing up a bit of mince pork with onion/grated carrots for some meatballs. Everything seems to take about 20 minutes.

Grilled cheese on toast - wow, so good. I can't imagine a convection being better - maybe slightly different, certainly not so efficient.

21 minutes ago, timendres said:

Anyone ever bake chocolate chip cookies in one of these? I really miss baking cookies, and am paying way too much to buy them at the mall.

Actually I just read an article while researching these ovens that said they are excellent for making chocolate chip cookies!

I'm also a huge fan of chocolate chip cookies!  Call me CookieMan!  If you want a mouth watering and super easy recipes to make them, see this Youtube video:  2-Minute Vs. 2-Hour Vs. 2-Day Cookie • Tasty

Archived