German expat, 72, wounded by knife-wielding Phuket house robbers

webfact

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, car720 said:

Not garbage.  I have frequently been warned by Thai people themselves about how falang are considered good targets.

Very true.  I have had the same warnings from Thai's.  It stands to reason because most Thai's don't even trust other Thais....

Recently moved out of Phuket. The mover inquired why I had dogs I said for security. He asked "Is Phuket so scary?  I said well since there were a series of home invasions the week before and the last house I lived in was invaded by an armed gunman who shot the new tenent I though dog ownership was a reasonable security upgrade. He shrugged. His perception of his potential to be a crime victim is no doubt vastly different from mine. Be safe out there folks. Security is applied in layers. 

20 hours ago, dcsw53 said:

As usual the reporting of this is poor, the story raises twice as many questions as the answers it gives.
Did they break in, or did he open the door ? Were they wearing masks, can they be identified ? Why did they flee through the back of the house ?
Seems a lot of risk for a THB 5000 reward. Should be 10 years inside for stupidity and 6 months for the crime

Yes, not sure if the victim was male or female!

17 hours ago, Scot123 said:

Maybe it was not the goal maybe the goal was to hold the foreign gentlemen till they emptied his account of the 400,000 or 800,000baht they new he must have. Thank the woman on her return or this could of had a far more serious outcome. Thai families have been murdered for a lot less with that type of crime (think I read 100,000baht then killed the family). All expats have that target on their backs now. 

I think this is a very reactionary and overly simplistic conclusion. To date, Thailand has one of the lowest percentages of crimes against foreigners. Most crime here is Thai on Thai. Sure, an event like this is alarming. But, it is so uncommon, fortunately. All the years I have been here, this is one of the few crimes of this nature I have heard about. And I do not know one single soul who has been subjected to a violent crime in Thailand. 

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

What sort of Thais do you get your information from?!

It is just an assumption...bad economy combined with a huge drop in tourist spending in Phuket...folks are getting desperate.  Where are the easiest targets to get money?  Robbing the local 7 Eleven where there are cameras every 2 feet or robbing an elderly man in his home where the chance of a camera is next to none?  It's a pretty obvious choice.  It seems to me that the reporting of this type of crime is on the rise.  It makes sense that falangs are targets because in order of us to be here, we need money in our banks and a steady source of income.  There are a lot of elderly falangs here that are considered easy targets.  So to not even think that we are NOT a target is very naïve on your part.

3 hours ago, Truthhurts said:

Very very sad.

Thankfully you never ever ever see elder abuse in farang countries.

We respect them too much.

Then you have never been to Denmark, there are often home robberies in older folks homes there and also with violent assaults.

4 hours ago, Truthhurts said:

Very very sad.

Thankfully you never ever ever see elder abuse in farang countries.

We respect them too much.

My country of birth is England and unfortunately the elderly were always targeted by scammers, either trying to gain entry to look for cash or scam builders trying to make money... the list of methods was endless.

12 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

My country of birth is England and unfortunately the elderly were always targeted by scammers, either trying to gain entry to look for cash or scam builders trying to make money... the list of methods was endless.

Agreed - often assaulted too.

18 hours ago, Scot123 said:

Maybe it was not the goal maybe the goal was to hold the foreign gentlemen till they emptied his account of the 400,000 or 800,000baht they new he must have. Thank the woman on her return or this could of had a far more serious outcome. Thai families have been murdered for a lot less with that type of crime (think I read 100,000baht then killed the family). All expats have that target on their backs now. 

The kindest assumption I can make about your post,given the grammar and wild assumptions,  is that English is not your first language. Scottish might explain it though?

7 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

The kindest assumption I can make about your post,given the grammar and wild assumptions,  is that English is not your first language. Scottish might explain it though?

I think you'll find some of the best engineers, doctors and scientists in the English-speaking world were born in Scotland.

1 hour ago, perconrad said:

Then you have never been to Denmark, there are often home robberies in older folks homes there and also with violent assaults.

Unfortunately it also happens in New Zealand, much to my disgust.

A few years ago on this forum I remember agreeing with a poster who said that crime in Phuket would be on the increase because of a fall in tourist numbers and spend, and that locals were "feeling the pinch"..............

I Seem to recall, the Law Changed Where Expats are Forbidden to own Guns at home.

Guess some Mr Big owns stock in a Blade MFG company.

When you Criminalize owning a Gun, Only criminals will have Guns.

Now I need to look into Buying a couple of Dogs, and/or Cross Bow, sling shot, OR

local security services.

Maybe just put up a sign "No Money, Insurance took it"

4 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

Not in this instance though. ???? 

You don't know what his nationality is - that's an assumption of yours. While your knowledge of grammar may be impeccable, your grasp of logic is not.

23 hours ago, dcsw53 said:

As usual the reporting of this is poor, the story raises twice as many questions as the answers it gives.
Did they break in, or did he open the door ? Were they wearing masks, can they be identified ? Why did they flee through the back of the house ?
Seems a lot of risk for a THB 5000 reward. Should be 10 years inside for stupidity and 6 months for the crime

Sherlock and judge in one person ...

6 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

My perception,however,is. Did you not look at the username?

Yes I did. Given his grammar skills, that could either be his first name or his nationality.

Do you think my nom-de-plume indicates I am a revenant from the Roman Empire?

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I think this is a very reactionary and overly simplistic conclusion. To date, Thailand has one of the lowest percentages of crimes against foreigners. Most crime here is Thai on Thai. Sure, an event like this is alarming. But, it is so uncommon, fortunately. All the years I have been here, this is one of the few crimes of this nature I have heard about. And I do not know one single soul who has been subjected to a violent crime in Thailand. 

And where is your source to thailand being one of the lowest % or crimes against foreigners? Is there even such statistics or are you just pulling it out your ass and assuming like many others.

All the years you been hear but this is one of the few you heard about.

So it is not just that you dont see every news like this? 

recent cases.

https://thepattayanews.com/2019/09/10/two-thai-men-arrested-for-assault-and-robbery-of-an-indian-tourist-in-pattaya/amp/

https://bangkokjack.com/2019/11/05/tourist-beaten-robbed-pattaya/amp/

It is easy to miss such news.

It happens more than most people think. And these are just recent cases, also the Italian man shot dead some month ago, but certainly there is worse countries than Thailand as Brazil, mexico etc.

Archived