German expat, 72, wounded by knife-wielding Phuket house robbers

webfact

55 minutes ago, ta158 said:

And where is your source to thailand being one of the lowest % or crimes against foreigners? Is there even such statistics or are you just pulling it out your ass and assuming like many others.

All the years you been hear but this is one of the few you heard about.

So it is not just that you dont see every news like this? 

recent cases.

https://thepattayanews.com/2019/09/10/two-thai-men-arrested-for-assault-and-robbery-of-an-indian-tourist-in-pattaya/amp/

https://bangkokjack.com/2019/11/05/tourist-beaten-robbed-pattaya/amp/

It is easy to miss such news.

It happens more than most people think. And these are just recent cases, also the Italian man shot dead some month ago, but certainly there is worse countries than Thailand as Brazil, mexico etc.

All this stuff is anecdotal. So is mine. Ten years in Thailand, have never once felt unsafe or threatened. Of course, if someone wants to behave like a d$ckhead, that's a different story.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now I get it. That's why Immigration does not let people come in. They want to save our lives.

If we had not entered the Kingdom, we would not have been murdered. Sort of thing.

Makes sense.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

All this stuff is anecdotal. So is mine. Ten years in Thailand, have never once felt unsafe or threatened. Of course, if someone wants to behave like a d$ckhead, that's a different story.

So they got stabbed,assaulted, robbed for being d1ckheads? I'm sure they was just minding their own business and a criminal thug saw opportunity.

6 hours ago, ta158 said:

And where is your source to thailand being one of the lowest % or crimes against foreigners? Is there even such statistics or are you just pulling it out your ass and assuming like many others.

All the years you been hear but this is one of the few you heard about.

So it is not just that you dont see every news like this? 

recent cases.

https://thepattayanews.com/2019/09/10/two-thai-men-arrested-for-assault-and-robbery-of-an-indian-tourist-in-pattaya/amp/

https://bangkokjack.com/2019/11/05/tourist-beaten-robbed-pattaya/amp/

It is easy to miss such news.

It happens more than most people think. And these are just recent cases, also the Italian man shot dead some month ago, but certainly there is worse countries than Thailand as Brazil, mexico etc.

It is a relative statistic. But compared to Cambodia, Brazil, Mexico and so many other ex-pat destinations, it is very, very low. How many of the ex-pats you know here have had problems like this? I have been here over a decade and have not heard of a single one. So, there is my science. 

10 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

It is a relative statistic. But compared to Cambodia, Brazil, Mexico and so many other ex-pat destinations, it is very, very low. How many of the ex-pats you know here have had problems like this? I have been here over a decade and have not heard of a single one. So, there is my science. 

So your facts and stats are based on how many you know being victim of crime?. 

But the fact that you said it was rare that tourists or expats was victim of violence or crime in thailand and you have been here for a decade and only heard about a few, I'm sure you miss many cases where tourists or expats are victim.

If you only heard about a few, your assumption of Thailand having one of the lowest % of violence or crime against tourists or expats is not right. Right? 

As I already mentioned Brazil,Mexico etc has more crime against tourists, they are one of the most violent places on earth. 

I have said it in the past.

The anti-foreigner propaganda over the last 5 years will have effects.

They had countless x-ray foreigner / good guys in, bad guys out "series".

With "thousands of foreigners" arrested.

TM30...what if the foreigner bombs your residence? Report the foreigner.

What's the average uneducated Thai* supposed to understand out of all this?

That foreigners are the bad guys.

Which was the intention of this nationalistic administration to begin with.

So don't be surprised if occasionaly, some Thais pull out guns /swords etc, and some violence / casualties occur.

*average uneducated Thai = majority of the population

PS: Thailand has the largest wealth gap in the whole world, where 1% controls 67% of the country's wealth. And the intention of that 1% is to keep the others uneducated and stupid.

Screenshot_20191109-223555_Samsung Internet.jpg

You get house robbers in every country. In Australia there have been lots of break and enters of where old people live and sometimes the old people are bashed and die so it is not only Thailand this happens. Mind you the mongrels who do these robberies  need to be strung up for picking on older people. Gutless pricks they are.

If these two get caught and that is a big if they should go to jail or are the RTP going to impose the normal 500 baht fine and make them say sorry or better still make they give a wai.:welcomeani:

I don't know how well off this gentleman was but i was told  many times to never show your wealth. 

I live in gated estate and see farrangs driving around in Range Rovers, GLC Mercedes and similar cars and id certainly attracts unwanted attention. 

I'm quite happy to go around in my Honda CRV althought being looked at as a poor <deleted>.

9 hours ago, ta158 said:

So your facts and stats are based on how many you know being victim of crime?. 

But the fact that you said it was rare that tourists or expats was victim of violence or crime in thailand and you have been here for a decade and only heard about a few, I'm sure you miss many cases where tourists or expats are victim.

If you only heard about a few, your assumption of Thailand having one of the lowest % of violence or crime against tourists or expats is not right. Right? 

As I already mentioned Brazil,Mexico etc has more crime against tourists, they are one of the most violent places on earth. 

I am not making this stuff up. If you want to believe Thailand is a dangerous place, be my guest. But sorry to say, that does make make it real. In my opinion the most dangerous place in Thailand is Koh (Dark) Tao. There is a well known serial killer on the loose. And he is way, way above the law. And and all laws.

This is from the OSAC website:

Violent crime, such as murder, rape, and assault, targeting foreigners is relatively rare. When it does occur, such crime typically happens at night, often when victims have been drinking or separated from their companions. These crimes are most common in Bangkok, Pattaya, Chiang Mai, and in tourist areas in southern Thailand, including Phuket, Koh Samui, Koh Phangan, and Krabi. For more information, review OSAC’s Report Shaken: The Don’ts of Alcohol Abroad.

Sexually motivated violence is most likely to occur at, or after attending, parties, discos, or beaches (e.g., the Full Moon Party on Phangan Island). There have been reports of criminals using scopolamine or other date rape drugs to spike drinks and sexually assault and/or rob their victims. U.S. citizens have reported robberies after soliciting commercial sex workers.

https://www.osac.gov/Country/Thailand/Content/Detail/Report/b93ec1d4-0e1e-4f8a-bf50-15f4aebc572e

14 hours ago, ta158 said:

So they got stabbed,assaulted, robbed for being d1ckheads? I'm sure they was just minding their own business and a criminal thug saw opportunity.

I think @Lacessit didn't mean to say that, it's undeniable though, that many crimes against foreigners in Thailand, happen in places like Pattaya, Phuket, and various islands where tourists drink themselves stupid and become targets for criminals.

In this case, of course, we are talking about an armed robbery, which imho, doesn't happen in Thailand more than other countries which i know of.

On 11/8/2019 at 5:54 PM, dcsw53 said:

As usual the reporting of this is poor, the story raises twice as many questions as the answers it gives.
Did they break in, or did he open the door ? Were they wearing masks, can they be identified ? Why did they flee through the back of the house ?
Seems a lot of risk for a THB 5000 reward. Should be 10 years inside for stupidity and 6 months for the crime

How do we know that the robbers were not wifes brothers.and one of them her thai husband.

5 hours ago, car720 said:
On 11/9/2019 at 11:12 AM, Just Weird said:

What sort of Thais do you get your information from?!

Usually the two legged type but occasionally others as well.  Depends what I've been drinking and how much.

"Depends what I've been drinking and how much".

Ah, now things are starting to make sense.

Well, my 2 baht's worth, after living here almost two decades now, is that I have never really felt at risk of violent crime, but then again, I don't do silly things that invite it. Also, some people attract far too much attention to themselves through various ways often forgetting where they are are or just being a dumb-ass (although I not saying this guy in the OP was). The problem now is that the atmosphere here generally towards foreigners is much more toxic than it has ever been and that is basically due to the last five years and certain sections whipping up xenophobia to serve other ends. Secondly, the economic situation and lack of even any attempt to create a more equal society with opportunity or hope for people is having an effect too. It is a well known fact that in economic downturns/recessions then crime increases plus mix that with the lazy entitled attitude so many hold now that they should have stuff without having to work for it and all we will see is more of this if times remain financially hard. Unfortunately, old people are an easy target for the cowardly and there is still this perception that western foreigners have money flowing out of their backsides and it's just around all the time despite that not being the case anymore.  

22 hours ago, ta158 said:

Of course, you have truckloads of video evidence of opportunistic assaults on unsuspecting foreigners. Just post the evidence to convince us.

It's not rocket science. Don't get swacked, stay out of bars that have bouncers.

9 hours ago, jarda said:

I don't know how well off this gentleman was but i was told  many times to never show your wealth. 

I live in gated estate and see farrangs driving around in Range Rovers, GLC Mercedes and similar cars and id certainly attracts unwanted attention. 

I'm quite happy to go around in my Honda CRV althought being looked at as a poor <deleted>.

You are too upmarket. A Vios does the job for me. Most anonymous car in Thailand, and you couldn't kill one with an axe. Every mechanic in Thailand knows to service them.

8 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I am not making this stuff up. If you want to believe Thailand is a dangerous place, be my guest. But sorry to say, that does make make it real. In my opinion the most dangerous place in Thailand is Koh (Dark) Tao. There is a well known serial killer on the loose. And he is way, way above the law. And and all laws.

This is from the OSAC website:

Violent crime, such as murder, rape, and assault, targeting foreigners is relatively rare. When it does occur, such crime typically happens at night, often when victims have been drinking or separated from their companions. These crimes are most common in Bangkok, Pattaya, Chiang Mai, and in tourist areas in southern Thailand, including Phuket, Koh Samui, Koh Phangan, and Krabi. For more information, review OSAC’s Report Shaken: The Don’ts of Alcohol Abroad.

Sexually motivated violence is most likely to occur at, or after attending, parties, discos, or beaches (e.g., the Full Moon Party on Phangan Island). There have been reports of criminals using scopolamine or other date rape drugs to spike drinks and sexually assault and/or rob their victims. U.S. citizens have reported robberies after soliciting commercial sex workers.

https://www.osac.gov/Country/Thailand/Content/Detail/Report/b93ec1d4-0e1e-4f8a-bf50-15f4aebc572e

Violence Relatively rare but in the past month or so 3 or 4 expats/tourists have been stabbed/slashed.

1 shot dead.

And not every incident against tourists/expats is published on English news.

I remember when I read news in thai, American stabbed to death by father in-law, and Belgian man also killed not posted to English news.

Have I said Thailand is dangerous? Where?

I responded saying violence is not as rare as you think.

You been here for years and dont seem to know much.

As me I'm half thai born and raised here na long krap.

On 11/8/2019 at 3:18 PM, Just Weird said:

Garbage.

Lol! It is quite a common crime and not often reported. Quite recent it made the news where a man was tortured and the family tied up until the bank account was emptied then all murdered and that was for less than 150,000baht. So yes expats have a very large target on their backs. Life is very cheap and over the years I have heard of hits being carried out for as little as 10,000baht. Sorry buddy but not garbage.! Stay safe. 

5 hours ago, Brigand said:

Well, my 2 baht's worth, after living here almost two decades now, is that I have never really felt at risk of violent crime, but then again, I don't do silly things that invite it. Also, some people attract far too much attention to themselves through various ways often forgetting where they are are or just being a dumb-ass (although I not saying this guy in the OP was). The problem now is that the atmosphere here generally towards foreigners is much more toxic than it has ever been and that is basically due to the last five years and certain sections whipping up xenophobia to serve other ends. Secondly, the economic situation and lack of even any attempt to create a more equal society with opportunity or hope for people is having an effect too. It is a well known fact that in economic downturns/recessions then crime increases plus mix that with the lazy entitled attitude so many hold now that they should have stuff without having to work for it and all we will see is more of this if times remain financially hard. Unfortunately, old people are an easy target for the cowardly and there is still this perception that western foreigners have money flowing out of their backsides and it's just around all the time despite that not being the case anymore.  

You said some very true deductions/remarks but I think you may have been wearing blinkers over the past 20 years. I only lived/worked in Thailand on and off for 16 years but did live/work on Kow Tow back in 2002 and remamber the day I arrived there was an assassination of a tour operator because he was offering cheaper prices. Yes he was murdered in broad daylight on a busy pier waiting for a tourist boat. Back then the biggest killer on the island was motorbikes and falling coconuts. The village I lived in from 2010 ~ 2018 there was a murder almost every year. Mostly stabbing and two shootings one 15 year old schoolboy shot in the back of the head for having a crush on a girl who did not like him and the other a young boy who was dealing drugs. I do not think any of the stabbing murderers went to prison just paid the family and police off. Such is village life. Our local restaurant/pub had 2 drive by shootings the second resulted in two customers wounded and another drive by which was a small noodle shop just because they were seen as doing to well. We had a shooting at a night night club with a couple dead and a few wounded. All the young Thai guys I New all well to do and good families carried pistol's. Christ I remember a Thai friend older guy and head of the English program was showing off his new pistol. 2005 sitting at a barbaque shop in 2005 I saw my first incident of a guy running down the street shooting at a guy who stole his motorbike. And I never went out in the crazy places like phukett ot pattiya. Under the Vale thailand is very violent and dangerous.. 

OK Mr Scott123, I guess you are referring to Mr Ban there and I was there too at that time. However, I do not think Koh Tao is a representative example of most of Thailand as it is a mafia island, always has been. In those days, the BBK cops would fly in and the island would have been tipped off whilst they were on route and everyone like Mr J and other shady people would close up shop along with most foreigners bailing for their accommodation and not working (especially the dive instructors). No blinkers here man. If anything, I have met and felt much more danger and uncomfortable around other foreigners ... not saying it isn't there from the locals but you need to rile them up/be a muppet or interfere with stuff for them to do you over as it's much more risky for them as there is blow-back from the BiB for it (more so than for with their own). As for the villages, well, that is a different beast ... granted, and it's a murky Thai world but not something they like us getting too familiar with and mostly you will be kept out of it only hearing things third hand, unless as mentioned you get unduly involved and be a Richard.

11 hours ago, Scot123 said:

You said some very true deductions/remarks but I think you may have been wearing blinkers over the past 20 years. I only lived/worked in Thailand on and off for 16 years but did live/work on Kow Tow back in 2002 and remamber the day I arrived there was an assassination of a tour operator because he was offering cheaper prices. Yes he was murdered in broad daylight on a busy pier waiting for a tourist boat. Back then the biggest killer on the island was motorbikes and falling coconuts. The village I lived in from 2010 ~ 2018 there was a murder almost every year. Mostly stabbing and two shootings one 15 year old schoolboy shot in the back of the head for having a crush on a girl who did not like him and the other a young boy who was dealing drugs. I do not think any of the stabbing murderers went to prison just paid the family and police off. Such is village life. Our local restaurant/pub had 2 drive by shootings the second resulted in two customers wounded and another drive by which was a small noodle shop just because they were seen as doing to well. We had a shooting at a night night club with a couple dead and a few wounded. All the young Thai guys I New all well to do and good families carried pistol's. Christ I remember a Thai friend older guy and head of the English program was showing off his new pistol. 2005 sitting at a barbaque shop in 2005 I saw my first incident of a guy running down the street shooting at a guy who stole his motorbike. And I never went out in the crazy places like phukett ot pattiya. Under the Vale thailand is very violent and dangerous.. 

And you call Phuket a crazy place. Much more peaceful than your hang outs.

14 hours ago, Scot123 said:

Lol! It is quite a common crime and not often reported. Quite recent it made the news where a man was tortured and the family tied up until the bank account was emptied then all murdered and that was for less than 150,000baht. So yes expats have a very large target on their backs. Life is very cheap and over the years I have heard of hits being carried out for as little as 10,000baht. Sorry buddy but not garbage.! Stay safe. 

So you've quoted two incidents.  Two!  It's still garbage.

Archived