BANGKOK
Polarizing

Lights in series, Dim or brighten one seperately

Hi wise thaivisa people

I have 8 dimmable LED lights connected in series, I want all of them to behave the same way except one, what is the best way to achieve this?

Is it better to seperate that light from the serie, and connect a smart plug with the light? How do I even connect a light without a plug to a smart plug? Anyone know?? :))) Please help yayyy

Thankssssss

Are you sure they are connected in series? Sounds very strange to me....

Just now, Arjen said:

Are you sure they are connected in series? Sounds very strange to me....

Can you elaborate what you find strange?

• Confused 1

Are your lights really connected in series? Or are they actually in parallel on a single switch?

Are they 220V or 12V LED units?

Screw-in lamps or something else (could you use a smart-bulb)?

What do you actually want to do?

EDIT Some photos of what you have would be useful.

EDIT 2 If you remove one lamp do the others stay on?

34 minutes ago, Polarizing said:

Can you elaborate what you find strange?

As it is very uncommon nowadays to have light in series. But luckily even Crossy has his doubts.

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Are your lights really connected in series? Or are they actually in parallel on a single switch?

Are they 220V or 12V LED units?

Screw-in lamps or something else (could you use a smart-bulb)?

What do you actually want to do?

EDIT Some photos of what you have would be useful.

EDIT 2 If you remove one lamp do the others stay on?

The lights aren't installed yet, but the previous setup was indeed everything on a single switch. So I guess it would be parallel, since you guys are saying it is very uncommon. 

I have 7 lights on the ceiling and one on the wall (actually its not wall but some bricks, I want to drill a hole and put the light in let it shine upwards) acting as a "moodlight". They are all 220v leds, specifically these https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/32935106621.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.70c64c4drgz8xQ

I want my technician to install a neutral wire and so I can dim them using koogeek dimmer. However, I wish I can control the light on the wall seperately! What is the best way to accomplish this?

Thanks so much for the replies so far 😄

Just run a separate pair from your "mood light" to wherever you are going to install the dimmer. Use a 2 channel dimmer if you want to control the strings individually.

I don't know the koogeek dimmer but bringing a neutral to the dimmer location is a wise move.

19 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Just run a separate pair from your "mood light" to wherever you are going to install the dimmer. Use a 2 channel dimmer if you want to control the strings individually.

I don't know the koogeek dimmer but bringing a neutral to the dimmer location is a wise move.

Thanks for your input, but I rather have a single switch and it would be very impractical to install that. Probably have to break the wall open for some extra cable space and I rather have not too many switches. (Already have two for the living room.) What if I put in a philips hue bulb for the moodlight? Will that work or will it mess up things with my dimmer?

EDIT: what if I install a non dimmable led as a moodlight, will it mess up with the dimmer?

Edited by Polarizing

So what do you actually want to do?

One switch controlling what exactly? (is it a switch or a dimmer)

You cannot feed a dimmer from a dimmer, you cannot feed a smart lamp from a dimmer.

You could install the koogeek unit next to your mood light, you just then run a hot and neutral to that position.

7 minutes ago, Polarizing said:

Thanks for your input, but I rather have a single switch and it would be very impractical to install that. Probably have to break the wall open for some extra cable space and I rather have not too many switches. (Already have two for the living room.) What if I put in a philips hue bulb for the moodlight? Will that work or will it mess up things with my dimmer?

EDIT: what if I install a non dimmable led as a moodlight, will it mess up with the dimmer?

What 'mood' are you trying to create?

Non-dimmable means just that. Feed it from a dimmer for unpredictable results and possibly very short life.

6 minutes ago, Crossy said:

So what do you actually want to do?

One switch controlling what exactly? (is it a switch or a dimmer)

You cannot feed a dimmer from a dimmer, you cannot feed a smart lamp from a dimmer.

You could install the koogeek unit next to your mood light, you just then run a hot and neutral to that position.

33 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

What 'mood' are you trying to create?

I want one dimmer to control 7 lights, and one seperate moodlight. The dimmerswitch is near my front entrance and if I press it with a button, I wish to have all the lights on (including the moodlight) However, I want to program things so I would be able to say "siri, turn off the main living room lights" with the result of the moodlight remaining ON. 

The dimmer and the moodlight is very far away and would be impractical to run a new hot and a neutral to from the dimmer. However, I would consider it if it is my only option.

Considering the replies, I think the question transformed into: Is it possible to connect a smartlight in the same circuit. As Crossy said, I cannot feed a smartlight of a dimmer, so probably not. Or is it better to connect the smart moodlight to seperate nearby outlet? And program it so when the main living room lights are on to turn the moodlight on as well (not sure if thats possible haha).

Who's this Siri? The Mrs?

• Haha 1

All smart bulbs or two switches/dimmers. 

The nice thing about smart bulbs is you can create “scenes” like a theater set rather than thinking in terms of what bulbs you want to do what each time. Mixing smart bulbs and dumb bulbs on a switch can lead to everything going full bright when you turn the switch on— normally you just leave the switch on all the time, and use the app for control. 

1 hour ago, tjo o tjim said:

All smart bulbs or two switches/dimmers. 

The nice thing about smart bulbs is you can create “scenes” like a theater set rather than thinking in terms of what bulbs you want to do what each time. Mixing smart bulbs and dumb bulbs on a switch can lead to everything going full bright when you turn the switch on— normally you just leave the switch on all the time, and use the app for control. 

Thanks for your input so I think if I connect a smart light to a nearby socket would solve my problem if I can connect the dimmer and bulb in homekit and program a line or two like (if main living room light is not dimmed to 0%, turn moodlight on) (not sure if its possible, but I will try hahaha)