SmartVisa and driving license

primapagina

I am a happy holder of a Smart Visa, category startups, sub-category Food of the Future. As you may know, the SmartVisa is a brand new Visa aimed at attracting professional and entrepreneurs and provide many benefits. https://smart-visa.boi.go.th/smart/ for details. Unfortunately, the government forgot to tell the Land Transportation Department about this new Visa. As a consequence, when you go to renew the 5 year driving license, they will not acknowledge the SmartVisa as other non imm Visa (retirement, work, business, marriage, etc). They will just give you a 2 years temporary license, no International driving license and more documents to submit. If you have a SmartVisa like me, please ask the BOI at [email protected] to fix this! 

7 hours ago, primapagina said:

they will not acknowledge the SmartVisa as other non imm Visa

Probably because it's not a non-immigrant visa but a smart-visa ????

Government agencies in Thailand usually don't talk with each other, so you might want to contact the Ministry of Transport and Department of Land Transport as well, they are the ones who would have to change their rules.

7 hours ago, primapagina said:

I am a happy holder of a Smart Visa, category startups, sub-category Food of the Future. As you may know, the SmartVisa is a brand new Visa aimed at attracting professional and entrepreneurs and provide many benefits. https://smart-visa.boi.go.th/smart/ for details. Unfortunately, the government forgot to tell the Land Transportation Department about this new Visa. As a consequence, when you go to renew the 5 year driving license, they will not acknowledge the SmartVisa as other non imm Visa (retirement, work, business, marriage, etc). They will just give you a 2 years temporary license, no International driving license and more documents to submit. If you have a SmartVisa like me, please ask the BOI at [email protected] to fix this! 

You are probably new here

anyway good luck to you

and welcome in Thailand 

it's a very long way to accept all the nonsenses 

if you are budhist and very patient it should help a little bit

On 11/8/2019 at 11:32 PM, jackdd said:

Probably because it's not a non-immigrant visa but a smart-visa ????

Government agencies in Thailand usually don't talk with each other, so you might want to contact the Ministry of Transport and Department of Land Transport as well, they are the ones who would have to change their rules.

@jackdd thanks. The BOI department, which is in charge of the SmartVisa, already promised they will deal with the Ministry of Department for this. I am just looking for other SmartVisa holders, so that they know what the problem is before they go for their license renewal. Also I hope they can also ask the BOI to fix this (with more pressure this might be dealt with faster).

Archived