Jump to content
BANGKOK
edd999

How many tourist visas a year from Vientiane Laos

Recommended Posts

I came in from UK in September on a Non O Retirement 3 month single entry issued at London which runs out  on 6 December.
I do not think I will be able to extend it although I have enough income it is not easy to prove and I haven't yet opened a bank account in Thailand.
I have already had 2 single entry Tourist visas earlier this year issued at Vientiane.
So the plan is to go to Laos in December and re enter on a visa exempt which I hope to extend to get  me to February next year.
After that I hope I can  get another tourist visa and extension to see me through to May.
My question is, is the plan possible and if entering on a visa exempt at Vientiane do I need to stay overnight or can just to turn around and  come back same day.
I will carry 20 k cash and home documents but will I need a  flight ticked  out of Thailand for the end of the 30 days.  This would be a  waste of money as I hope to extend for a second month.
Any help and advice from experienced members would be much appreciated.
Many thanks
 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, I have no answers for you.

I am in pretty much the same boat with the same plans/wishes.

On a U.S. p.p. I went to Vietnam, not Lao, twice this year and back and got only 30-day exempt permits here in Chiang Mai. 

I would just like to read any advice about the consulates in Lao - which city: Vientiane or LP easier to deal with for T.V... which I would get an extension for Ed from one of the schools here.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi ChiangMaiMuu..... I have always found Vientiane ok for TV ..... but my understanding is just two TV or exempt entries in any year.  That is why I will go for an exempt entry in December then two TVs next year.   My main query is about the requirement of a ticket out of Thailand within 30 days when entering exempt.   I have read on another thread that it is not required when entering  by land... so I am hoping  that  is  correct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, edd999 said:

I have read on another thread that it is not required when entering  by land... so I am hoping  that  is  correct.

It is not normally asked for at land border crossing for a visa exempt entry. Same at airport immigration unless they are looking for a reason to deny entry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks ubonjoe.... that's great, but can I extend the question a little.  When leaving Thailand at Vientiane land border crossing is it necessary to go across the river and into Laos, or after getting the exit stamp can one just cross the road and re-enter into Thailand on visa exempt..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You LIKELY will be denied another Tourist visa at Vientiane.

Vientiane...

"Tourist Visa, if you had previously some Tourist visas your application will be considered more carefully. Vientiane is now asking for proof of funds, Book Bank with balance THB 20,000.- up OR print out from Bank account from home country value USD 700.-up. Onward air ticket is not required, but prepare Rental Contract too."

 

Savannakhet

And WILL be denied another one at Savannakhet.

 

"Tourist Visa, apply if you stayed less than 90 days in past 6 month, show own Thai Book Bank with balance THB 20,000.- up OR print out from your Bank account from home country value USD 700.-up. OR Onward air ticket."

 

Good Luck.

Tj

Edited by travelerjim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, edd999 said:

Thanks ubonjoe.... that's great, but can I extend the question a little.  When leaving Thailand at Vientiane land border crossing is it necessary to go across the river and into Laos, or after getting the exit stamp can one just cross the road and re-enter into Thailand on visa exempt..

You have to enter Laos and return. Thai immigration looks for the entry and departure stamps for Laos.

It is is the same at all land border crossings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, travelerjim said:

You LIKELY will be denied another Tourist visa at Vientiane.

Vientiane...

"Tourist Visa, if you had previously some Tourist visas your application will be considered more carefully. Vientiane is now asking for proof of funds, Book Bank with balance THB 20,000.- up OR print out from Bank account from home country value USD 700.-up. Onward air ticket is not required, but prepare Rental Contract too."

 

Savannakhet

And WILL be denied another one at Savannakhet.

 

"Tourist Visa, apply if you stayed less than 90 days in past 6 month, show own Thai Book Bank with balance THB 20,000.- up OR print out from your Bank account from home country value USD 700.-up. OR Onward air ticket."

 

Good Luck.

Tj

Is rental contract a definite requirement? That's the only thing I don't have. Will a hotel booking for a couple of days do? And tell them I am looking for a flat/condo while I stay in fictitious hotel? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, stephen tracy said:

Is rental contract a definite requirement? That's the only thing I don't have. Will a hotel booking for a couple of days do? And tell them I am looking for a flat/condo while I stay in fictitious hotel? 

I don't recall any reports of Vientiane asking for proof of accommodations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I don't recall any reports of Vientiane asking for proof of accommodations.

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...