Chang Beer turns 25, launches new cold brew

snoop1130

Chang Beer turns 25, launches new cold brew

By THE NATION

800_8fa94bacc8f23f5.jpg

Kosit Suksingha

Thai Beverage (ThaiBev) on Thursday (Nov 7) celebrated the 25th anniversary of its popular Chang beer with an event at Bangkok’s Factoria restaurant and toasted its birthday with Chang cold brew lager, which is being produced especially for the silver jubilee.

Kosit Suksingha, the company’ chief executive for Beer Business Thailand and chief of the Supply Chain Management group, said the new product has been well received. “Its success is also a success in terms of promoting the relationship between our brand and consumers in line with our ‘Chang, Fulfilling Your Friendship’.”

Chang cold brew lager is made with 100-per-cent malt using the cold brew process – beer filtration under sub- zero temperature. The process produces a beer with that’s very different in taste and fragrance from other brews.

The highlight of the night was a talk by ThaiBev’s experienced brew master, who explained about the new product and showed how to best enjoy the drink from pouring to supping.

Last month, the company’s president and chief executive, Thapana Sirivadhanabhakdi said that ThaiBev will focus on raising business values, combining products to increase market capital and collaborating with global partners in innovative, healthy cannabis-based products as it looks towards 2025.

The Excise Department recently announced plans to raise the excise tax rate on zero-alcohol beer from 14 per cent as for soft drinks to an as yet undisclosed amount to discourage people from start drinking. However, the new tax rate will be lower than that for beers with an alcohol content.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30378182

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-11-08

49 minutes ago, thequietman said:

Ahhhhh, even colder pish! Mmmmmmm. ????

Cold Brew refers to the brewing process, I think you will find the beeer will be no colder than others.

13 minutes ago, SteveK said:

I'm sure that in the good old days Chang was at least 6.5% What happened? Did it fall foul of taxation?

Was that unregulated as well , meaning that it was at least 6.5 % and sometimes much stronger if you got a good bottle

5 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The Excise Department recently announced plans to raise the excise tax rate on zero-alcohol beer from 14 per cent as for soft drinks to an as yet undisclosed amount to discourage people from start drinking.

I am no expert, but my guess is that zero alcohol beers are usually purchased by beer drinkers who want to stay sober (driving home, etc.) not by people who are non-drinkers wanting to "dip their toe" into the pleasures of alcohol.

I would go so far as to say that most people tasting zero alcohol beers will be discouraged from drinking forever, with the noteable exception of Heineken 00, which (IMHO) is at least drinkable - and has some great ads ...

17 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Will they still fill your glass with ice first even though you tell them not to ?

How about 'Launching' a new decent Beer, perhaps as good as Beer Lao !

or even Beer Saigon, Beer Hanoi, Angkor Beer, Cambodia Beer, Myanmar Beer and ABC Stout (black beer).

17 hours ago, SteveK said:

I'm sure that in the good old days Chang was at least 6.5% What happened? Did it fall foul of taxation?

Try Tapper instead. It's 6.5 and the nearest I've come to finding a half-decent Thai beer here. As for taxation, unlike in other countries (surprise!) Thailand does not base taxation on alcohol strength. That is why Thai whisky is so cheap.

23 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Will they still fill your glass with ice first even though you tell them not to ?

How about 'Launching' a new decent Beer, perhaps as good as Beer Lao !

How about just letting the free trade in  ASEAN beer as they agreed to but renege on  by imposing high tax !

1 hour ago, Samuel Smith said:

Gave up with Chang when they dropped Chang Export.  Now it's Cheers Riceberry for me ????

Do you also drink the riceberry when out? I find this is the main problem with drinking anything other than the usual four. I usually put up with Chang, but there's a place in Sathorn that sells towers of riceberry, (or smaller sizes if needed).

9 minutes ago, alien365 said:

While we're on the topic of Chang I wonder if anyone here has bought the magnum sized bottle? I've seen it on sale for a while but refuse to buy it due to the price difference. I'm assuming it's just standard Chang inside and hence a rip off.

My neighbour bought me one. Has a champagne style cork in it. It's draught in a bottle. Tastes good. Not worth the purchase price if I had to buy it. 

20 minutes ago, alien365 said:

While we're on the topic of Chang I wonder if anyone here has bought the magnum sized bottle? I've seen it on sale for a while but refuse to buy it due to the price difference. I'm assuming it's just standard Chang inside and hence a rip off.

No as it's only 4.8% like this 25 year nonsense

23 minutes ago, alien365 said:

Do you also drink the riceberry when out? I find this is the main problem with drinking anything other than the usual four. I usually put up with Chang, but there's a place in Sathorn that sells towers of riceberry, (or smaller sizes if needed).

Don't go out much (drinking).  Just have to suffer what's on offer...

18 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

No as it's only 4.8% like this 25 year nonsense

Oh dear ???? I recently bought a box of Archa and saw that has been reduced to 4.5% too. Tastes like water now. Tapper and cheers extra are looking better by the day.

I think I'll buy one bottle of this 25yr stuff just to see if there's magically any more beer taste.

On 11/8/2019 at 6:42 PM, Lacessit said:

We were offered this Jubilee beer at the golf club. Costs more than the regular Chang. Hellooooo. If you want to sell it, at least make it the same price.

Why on earth do you expect to pay the same price for a premium beer? 

2 hours ago, alien365 said:

Oh dear ???? I recently bought a box of Archa and saw that has been reduced to 4.5% too. Tastes like water now. Tapper and cheers extra are looking better by the day.

I think I'll buy one bottle of this 25yr stuff just to see if there's magically any more beer taste.

I quiet like the Cheers extra strength beer, Has a decent taste to it.

1 hour ago, nev said:

I quiet like the Cheers extra strength beer, Has a decent taste to it.

Agreed. Strangely I haven't bought any recently but I think that will change on my next trip to Makro. If they don't have it in then it's tapper. I like to drink bottles but the bottled beers are just not good enough now unless you break the bank and buy beer Lao.

20 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

or even Beer Saigon, Beer Hanoi, Angkor Beer, Cambodia Beer, Myanmar Beer and ABC Stout (black beer).

Oh how I miss you brown bottled 6.5% Chang, many a cool CM night you have sat on the veranda with me (and baby makes 3!)

Archived