United Kingdom might not exist in a decade, half of UK citizens think - poll

snoop1130

United Kingdom might not exist in a decade, half of UK citizens think - poll

dsfg.PNG

British Union Jack flag flies in front of the clock face of Big Ben in London, Britain August 29, 2019. REUTERS/Toby Melville

LONDON (Reuters) - The United Kingdom might not exist in its current form in a decade’s time, half of its citizens believe, an Ipsos MORI poll found.

The 52-48% vote in 2016 to leave the European Union has strained the bonds that tie England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland into the United Kingdom: Scotland and Northern Ireland voted to stay while England and Wales voted to leave.

As the United Kingdom heads towards its latest Brexit deadline of Jan. 31, there are growing demands for an independence referendum in Scotland and for a vote on Northern Ireland unifying with the Republic of Ireland.

Scots rejected independence by 55 to 45 percent in a 2014.

The Ipsos Mori poll showed 50% thought the United Kingdom would not exist in 10 years, up from 43% in 2014. Just 29% said it would exist in its current form in a decade, down from 45% in 2014.

In the shorter term, the fate of the union - which traces its history back to the 1707 Treaty of Union - was also uncertain: 42% said the United Kingdom would exist in five years’ time and 44% said it would not.

“The British public are now much more divided in their expectations of the Union’s future than they were in 2014, when the Union’s future was under intense debate with Scotland just three months away from an independence referendum,” said Emily Gray, Managing Director of Ipsos MORI Scotland.

“With independence a key faultline in Scotland’s election debate, the findings will be concerning for those who want Scotland to remain in the Union, while those campaigning for an independent Scotland will hope that this is a continuing trend.”

Ipsos MORI interviewed a sample of 1,001 adults aged 18+ across Britain on Oct. 25-28.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-11-08

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What utter rubbish. Poll, poll and or poll. 

What is the 4th Reich going to march in with its EU army? 

Thank god for BREXIT and the people waking up. People are no longer dreaming their way through life but now taking note and getting involved/discussing polotics and thanks to the Internet treason and treachery are never forgotten. Looking forward to December elections. 

24 minutes ago, NightSky said:

Im a British citizen and tax payer and no one asked me for my opinion on this so called 'poll'

Its horse manure.

If he stirs it well enough, a chef doesn't need to consume the entire pot of soup to know how it tastes.

9 minutes ago, Tug said:

I sincerely hope they are wrong

What is it that so many find sacrosanct about the UK? It doesn't work well for anybody within it, whether they be English, Welsh, Scottish or Northern Irish. I believe that its dissolution would better serve each of the countries within it; keeping it alive because of some romantic notion of a grand period that, if it ever existed, nobody alive can remember, seems madness. 

31 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

What is it that so many find sacrosanct about the UK? It doesn't work well for anybody within it, whether they be English, Welsh, Scottish or Northern Irish. I believe that its dissolution would better serve each of the countries within it; keeping it alive because of some romantic notion of a grand period that, if it ever existed, nobody alive can remember, seems madness. 

But 55% of Scots voted to stay in the UK only 5 years ago....shall we make it law that a referendum should be held every two years and then can be in and out UK like a yo yo..

The only reason for the Scottish people to stay in the UK was the EU. I guess they will vote different now. And the Northern Irish like to leave also, because they´ll have a huge economic benefit with the EU when England and Wales are out. Poor UK. You´ll get so many problems in the near future. But that´s what you have chosen.
Has someone seen this? Love this show. There also 3 shows about the Brexit. Funny.

1 minute ago, baansgr said:

But 55% of Scots voted to stay in the UK only 5 years ago....shall we make it law that a referendum should be held every two years and then can be in and out UK like a yo yo..

Not at all - nobody chooses chaos and uncertainty, but when the promises made to entice us to vote to remain in the UK prove to be worthless, and the very threat used (that being Scotland would be out of the EU if we chose independence) turned out to be equally as worthless, people are questioning what we benefit from the union. 

Interestingly, there were several members of the QT audience last night who were vehement No supporters in 2014 but have since turned to support independence. It is not just us dyed in the wool SNP voters who are questioning what value the UK brings Scotland.

Similarly, there is a rising number of Welsh and even some English people are questioning why we collectively persist in accepting this broken Westminster model of democracy. 

1 minute ago, CNXexpat said:

The only reason for the Scottish people to stay in the UK was the EU. I guess they will vote different now. And the Northern Irish like to leave also, because they´ll have a huge economic benefit with the EU when England and Wales are out. Poor UK. You´ll get so many problems in the near future. But that´s what you have chosen.
Has someone seen this? Love this show. There also 3 shows about the Brexit. Funny.

If Johnson wins a majority which looks likely then the Scots won't get their second referendum and the Tories will treat them with contempt they have shown to date and worse. Maybe then it will be time for the Scottish Republican Army to get going.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_National_Liberation_Army

5 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Thank you, but I cannot claim credit for it. I borrowed the analogy from this site: http://www.britishpollingcouncil.org/a-journalists-guide-to-opinion-polls/

You can take credit for reading about it, being educated on the subject, understanding it , remembering it using it appropriately and effectively.

it was a Great comeback. and I has being added  to my repertuar.:smile:

2 hours ago, sanemax said:

I am trying to work out : How can a person "believe" that something "could" happen .

Does that make sense ?

Surely you can only believe that something will happen, rather than just "could happen"?

Yesterday I rode my bike down hill at a speed of 72.6Kms/hour.

I am absolutely certain in my belief I could crash and get killed or badly injured. This certainty is reflected in the care I take while wizzing along.

If I believed I will crash, I’d be a fool to even set off.

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I am absolutely certain in my belief I could crash and get killed or badly injured. This certainty is reflected in the care I take while wizzing along.

If only your name was David Cameron and you had listened to yourself. ????????

1 hour ago, baansgr said:

Fyi , that was before Boris ,  opinions change , with time .

That said , opinions have changed on the engineered brexit vote. 

Move on , and learn ...

6 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Given the trend  of  nationalist  retrenchment  is there  any surprise?  The UK is  not  England  is  it?

Good point.

Given the demise of the  British Empire ,  and the SNP , keen to  remove itself from the UK.

Should Wales , decide to follow,  what remains of the the UK.. 

Little england ...

2 hours ago, Scot123 said:

What utter rubbish. Poll, poll and or poll. 

What is the 4th Reich going to march in with its EU army? 

Thank god for BREXIT and the people waking up. People are no longer dreaming their way through life but now taking note and getting involved/discussing polotics and thanks to the Internet treason and treachery are never forgotten. Looking forward to December elections. 

The jihadis have already marched in

3 minutes ago, elliss said:

Good point.

Given the demise of the  British Empire ,  and the SNP , keen to  remove itself from the UK.

Little england ...

what remains of the the UK?.... The Islamic Republic of Britainistan.

56 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Just make sure your seat is firmly attached

11 minutes ago, elliss said:

Good point.

Little england ...

And what will the eu be once we leave ? Pertite europe?

Archived