BANGKOK
snoop1130

United Kingdom might not exist in a decade, half of UK citizens think - poll

18 hours ago, sanemax said:

I am trying to work out : How can a person "believe" that something "could" happen .

Does that make sense ?

Surely you can only believe that something will happen, rather than just "could happen"?

I believe you could be right. heh.

But really, if I were going to flip a coin, I believe it could land on heads.

Edited by Paradise Pete

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Can you give me a few of your ideas why "the UK doesn't work well for anybody within it, whether they be English, Welsh, Scottish or Northern Irish"?

My two-word question was meant to elicit some degree of validation of the above claim, whether it be from yourself or the member who originally offered it. I am particularly interested in the claim that it doesn't work well for anybody within it.

My one word answer.

Brexit 

42 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Apologies for my slow response. 

That there is a stark difference in political perspectives has been clear for some time, but the most recent polling shows just how far apart Scottish and English perspectives actually are. Of course, it is an entirely valid view that this is simply the effect of representative democracy, however when it is also clear that the tail (as one of our TV friends has referred to Scotland) can never wag the dog, but must always follow the direction the dog chooses to take, you could ask yourself, quite reasonably, whether you want to remain without influence in the journey you are taking.   

As for the rest of the UK, well apparently Scotland is subsidised by English taxpayers so we would lift that burden from their weary shoulders. Our non-Tory MPs are considered a nuisance in the HoC so we would remove that unwanted intrusion in the mother of parliaments (and there are expected to be a lot more of them come the New Year). And our courts have thrown a spanner in the Brexit works that brought a halt to the PM's cunning plan. 

See - Scotland out of the UK would solve so many issues. 

yougov.JPG

Reasoned arguments well presented, thanks. I watched the latter part of Nicola Sturgeon's campaign kick-off speech and did a wee splutter when she claimed "Scotland is one of the world’s wealthiest countries" even when taken in the context she placed it. I know we have some serious, home-grown talent but so has pretty much every other nation given equal opportunity. However, throwing up the usual 'world class universities' as a validation in an era of broadly acknowledged dumbing down of educational standards, well... it's all a bit of blowing the wee, blue-faced trumpet IMHO.

The Tories had apparently forsaken the victories earned under the leadership of Ruth Davidson up in Scotland in 2017 when, after her resignation, they still have only an acting Scottish Conservatives leader and with Jackson Carlaw, a rather faceless one at that.

BTW, I find it strange that the graphic that YouGov chose for their Twitter feed doesn't reflect the post-2017 election reality north of the border. I guess their claim to breaking down voting intention '...plus Scotland and Wales' is a tad disingenuous.

Scotland the what now?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

no

EU will be same same, UK is not part of Europe, Brits only go there (Europe) for holiday ....

Quite a lot go there to live in Spain and France and probably other countries as well.

4 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Deleted post

I am sure that aren't only dreams. 

Armageddon will come for UK and my country will be reunited finally and the time of occupation is over. 

We are Europeans and I hope!!! There will be a European Passport in future. 😈

• Sad 2

It will exist but after leaving the European Union the U.K. and France will be members of a new alliance. 

Arab.JPG

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

I am sure that aren't only dreams. 

Armageddon will come for UK and my country will be reunited finally and the time of occupation is over. 

We are Europeans and I hope!!! There will be a European Passport in future. 😈

Armageddon is a bit extreme for me - my dream for the future of the British isles is where each of the constituent countries is supportive of its neighbours, and generally acts in all our shared interests, but is respectful of the differences in culture and opinion that clearly exist across borders; a British Scandinavia, if you will. 

• Thanks 1

"United Kingdom might not exist in a decade"

I suspect I might not exist in a decade either.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Sooner if we have anything to do with it :tongue:

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

United Kingdom might not exist in a decade

#metoo

1 hour ago, RuamRudy said:

Armageddon is a bit extreme for me - my dream for the future of the British isles is where each of the constituent countries is supportive of its neighbours, and generally acts in all our shared interests, but is respectful of the differences in culture and opinion that clearly exist across borders; a British Scandinavia, if you will. 

Without the Danish taxes and Norwegian beer prices I hope. The nymphomaniac Swedish twins can only do so much.

Edited by NanLaew

20 hours ago, NightSky said:

Im a British citizen and tax payer and no one asked me for my opinion on this so called 'poll'

Its horse manure.

You should read up on statistical sampling size and selection. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

United Kingdom might not exist in a decade

Makes 2 of us!

• Like 1