BANGKOK
snoop1130

United Kingdom might not exist in a decade, half of UK citizens think - poll

8 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

You are assuming that this would be the wishes of the Scottish people. While it is true that there was a majority vote to remain in the EU, I saw estimates that as many as 30% of SNP voters were also in favour of Brexit - there is considerable overlap.

But even if we either choose not to join the EU or we find the process of joining slower than anticipated, why would this be a reason not to seek independence? 

They were in favour of brexit because they could see it would be the route to an independent Scotland.

This is something the DUP were too stupid to realize about NI

12 hours ago, Salerno said:

You forgot Cornwall :coffee1:

And East Pakis.... sorry, Bangladesh.

On 11/8/2019 at 8:38 PM, RuamRudy said:

.......... what value the UK brings Scotland.

what about a QUEEN and lots of princes, princess and all the  BS attached to it  555

23 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

I think that's tebee's point - Brexit was only going to destabilise the UK; the SNP saw that and squeezed maximum capital out of it, but the corrupt DUP either failed to recognise the threat or (more likely?) their eyes were bedazzled by the billion pound bung that they looked forward to pocketing, having already enriched themselves with Cash for Ash money. 

Scotland conforms to all EU regulations and norms; the transition as an independent country to joining would be relatively straightforward compared to one that has never operated under the EU umbrella. If the will of the Scottish people is to rejoin, I don't think it will be an automatic re-entry, but it is not going to take the protracted years of negotiations that some Project Fear mongers like to claim. 

You'll need to address the currency issue first & i can't see that happening overnight.

4 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

This is a somewhat delicate matter, even among SNP supporters. There remains a strong allegiance to the crown across the country.

I think if we were to devise a method of national rule today, a dynastic monarchy would never be realistically considered, but we have it and I cannot see many advantages of dropping it and adopting a presidential approach. However the lazy, fat and ridiculously overblown monarchy we Brits put up with definitely needs to be trimmed - and drastically. I like the Dutch model where there are relatively few hangers on, and even the senior royals contribute tangibly to the country. Unfortunately there are very few of our many, many royals who would know a day's work if it fell on them. 

couldn't agree more with your last sentence and that's the Queen's fault not their fault..... Dutch,  Sweden, Denmark and maybe Norway good example of low key aristocracy

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

what about a QUEEN and lots of princes, princess and all the  BS attached to it  555

Other than pruning I cannot see why current arrangements shouldn't continue as they have done for centuries.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NanLaew said:

The DUP crave the Union though. That's what the 'U' in the middle of their name stands for.

And the Conservative and Unionist party is currently trying to implement policies that will almost inevitably lead to the breakup of that very same union ! 

You couldn't make this stuff up! We live in weird times. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tebee said:

They were in favour of brexit because they could see it would be the route to an independent Scotland.

This is something the DUP were too stupid to realize about NI

Rebel without a cause.

My dear Fenian friend, the free state will be next in line if Brexit is a success.

The ROI has milked the EU for every dime possible, to upgrade their infrastructure.

It has dragged them out of the gutter and no wonder their grateful.

Following the last property boom and bust, i believe Dublin is heating up nicely again.

Looks like your light on his loafers leader got on famously with Boris though.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, WillyPlatt said:

....if Brexit is a success.

Given the likelihood of that being the case, I think the EU is safe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Bookmark that thought.

I voted remain, but at the end of this divorce i would never bet against a country who survived and won two world wars, no thanks to your neutral German loving one.

I believe global biotech investment into the UK is at multi year highs.

At stages in history like this, it always pays to keep an eye on what's going on in the background.

The investors of global capital are rarely wrong.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Ah, the death throes of an empire.  Brexit has just speeded it up. Scotland likes the EU, and Brexit makes independence more likely. Northern Ireland demographics mean that Catholics will become the majority of voters in the next decade - so they will go. Not sure if Wales will go - but a bad Brexit could cause this. All this has been obvious for 3 years.

Afterwards, wonder what will become of all those small dependencies. Traded for trade deals?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, rickudon said:

Ah, the death throes of an empire.  Brexit has just speeded it up. Scotland likes the EU, and Brexit makes independence more likely. Northern Ireland demographics mean that Catholics will become the majority of voters in the next decade - so they will go. Not sure if Wales will go - but a bad Brexit could cause this. All this has been obvious for 3 years.

Afterwards, wonder what will become of all those small dependencies. Traded for trade deals?

Where will the Irish and Scots and Welsh be "going" ?

Will they be going to Australia or somewhere ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1