Topdjdel's and Mr Bo Jangles' Chaiya Phum thread

mrbojangles

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would love a beer if ever I'm up there the same time as you guys. Unfortunately was just there for three weeks in November last year and we are not planning on another trip for at least 18 months probably longer. The wife is originally from Huai Rai, a small village about 20 kilos o/s Chaiyaphum. Bumped into a couple of farangs last time, an English guy visiting for a few days with his girlfriend, and an older very amiable Swiss guy in Tescos.

Can't honestly see there being enough trade for a farang bar to operate full time. There used to be one run by a Danish guy,but apparently that closed down when he had to return home for pension reasons. I don't know how long he was there.

Tesco's isn't bad actually, not as big as the hypermarkets in Pattaya and Bangkok but a reasonable size. It's on the site of a crappy old departmet store that was there when I first used to visit. If you go on the Tesco Lotus website under hypermarkets you will find the address and a map giving its location. It set me up nicely for for breakfast, A cup of Nescafe Gold blend with Tesco bread/toast and marmalade. I love Thai food but the night befores left over fish and sticky rice for breakfast I can do without !

Anyway hopefully we can meet up some day.

Seems Chaiyaphum is not the sleeping city I once thought.

Must admit its going to be funny when I or other falangs see each other and I bet everyone will be muttering under there breath'I wonder if hes one of the fellas on thai Visa'?????

I cant wait to go back now,I can picture the Mrs me and kids in tescos see a fello falang and it will be see ya love Im off for a beer.

Classic!!!

I look forawrd to it or reading about it in the near future.

delboy

I cant wait to go back now,I can picture the Mrs me and kids in tescos see a fello falang and it will be see ya love Im off for a beer.

Classic!!!

delboy

Yea, but somebody is going to have to find where that "local watering hole" is first! :D:o:D

Your planned sess sounds like it's going to be a good one fella's, I must point out that I have nothing to do with Chaiyaphum other than my very good friend Mr Topdjdel is married to a bird from there, we went to his wedding many moons ago and had a grand old time, I live in Pattaya and my Mrs is fom Korat.

Whey hey.

Mr Bigjimmy

Classic!!!

delboy

Yea, but somebody is going to have to find where that "local watering hole" is first! :D:o:D

We'll find one, no worries :D

Your planned sess sounds like it's going to be a good one fella's, I must point out that I have nothing to do with Chaiyaphum other than my very good friend Mr Topdjdel is married to a bird from there, we went to his wedding many moons ago and had a grand old time, I live in Pattaya and my Mrs is fom Korat.

Whey hey.

Mr Bigjimmy

We always visit some mates etc. in Jomtien first and then we head up to the village for a few days. We could share a mini bus and get bladdered :D

beer we will find easily, :o

Sit in a field if we have to with a bonfire I reckon :D

part uk part thai style no one will say we dont use traditions hahaha

memories of my youth drinking bottles of cider in the park-oh those were the days

still, mustn't grumble nice to be in a position to look forward with a big smile.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm hoping to be going up there in a few weeks. Is anybody around at that time? If so, we could organise a little get-together

While it is not so easy to "organize" a get together, let "us" know when you are around and when/where you would like to meet. I'm always around, but not always available. Seems there is always "something" going on! :o

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum but i have lived in Chaiyaphum for 1 1/2 years. I used to live in a tiny village near Ban Khwao but now i live 10 minutes from Tesco Lotus.

I work in Saudi Arabia so i am not at home all the time but when home i would love to meet any of you for a beer and to actually talk in English!

Also, if any of you are regular drivers in the city and have been "cut up" by a stupid farang on a mountain bike i apologise. But there's sod all else to do there! :o

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum but i have lived in Chaiyaphum for 1 1/2 years. I used to live in a tiny village near Ban Khwao but now i live 10 minutes from Tesco Lotus.

I work in Saudi Arabia so i am not at home all the time but when home i would love to meet any of you for a beer and to actually talk in English!

Also, if any of you are regular drivers in the city and have been "cut up" by a stupid farang on a mountain bike i apologise. But there's sod all else to do there! :o

Was you in chaiyaphum January when the festival was on???

If so I have a suspicion we have met.

del.

Hopefully if things go as planned maybe there shortly,fingers toes and just about everything else crossed.

No i wasn't there in January and i have yet to meet another brit there so for sure we have not met. I'll be there for the whole of August but right now that feels like a million years away. good luck with your plans

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Me, the Mrs and a few other farang will be up in Chaiya Phum at some point next week. Are any of you about? I'll be staying in one of the 5 2 star hotels in Chaiya Phum :o

bugger! I was there but i missed your post. Should be back mid october. Planning another trip up there?

• 1 month later...
I anticipate being near Chaiyaphum Oct 27 - Nov 6. Anyone around for a drink or 2?

Hi,

Will be in Chaiyaphum on 5th November if you fancy a beer. We will be getting off the bus from Pattaya via Mo Chit so will need a beer before we stock up at Tesco Lotus and get up to the village.

Andy

Me, the Mrs and a few other farang will be up in Chaiya Phum at some point next week. Are any of you about? I'll be staying in one of the 5 2 star hotels in Chaiya Phum :D

bugger! I was there but i missed your post. Should be back mid october. Planning another trip up there?

No sorry nidge, won't be back until about March now. Maybe next time, i hope :o

Me, the Mrs and a few other farang will be up in Chaiya Phum at some point next week. Are any of you about? I'll be staying in one of the 5 2 star hotels in Chaiya Phum :D

I expect to be home near the end of march. So i guess you'll be leaving mid march :D We are destined to not meet!

I expect to be home near the end of march. So i guess you'll be leaving mid march :D We are destined to not meet!

I think that might fit actually. End of march early April is the ETA. Here's hoping :D

I'll be in chaiyaphum from 29th oct till 20th nov. let me know when people are drinking

The "when" part can be sorted out as people come and go, but the where part still seems to be the bigger question. Where is/would be a good meeting place in Chaiyaphum for a morning/afternoon beer? :o

I'll be in chaiyaphum from 29th oct till 20th nov. let me know when people are drinking

The "when" part can be sorted out as people come and go, but the where part still seems to be the bigger question. Where is/would be a good meeting place in Chaiyaphum for a morning/afternoon beer? :o

I'm trapped by buses - when they run to schedule, the last one is about 5.30 or 6 from Chaiyaphum to home.

I don't actually recall too many pubs in town - but we might get a corner eatery willing to accept our money.

I'm trapped by buses - when they run to schedule, the last one is about 5.30 or 6 from Chaiyaphum to home.

I don't actually recall too many pubs in town - but we might get a corner eatery willing to accept our money.

And a corner eatery would/could be acceptable to me, but I think one of "you local's" need to scout out some possible venues and find one or two that might be suitable as most ANY of these places will "accept our money"...I think so. :o

And a corner eatery would/could be acceptable to me, but I think one of "you local's" need to scout out some possible venues and find one or two that might be suitable as most ANY of these places will "accept our money"...I think so. :o

The only place I've ever had a drink in Chaiyaphum is the place though a small alley when you get off the bus from Bangkok. The beer was wet and cold and the little bits of pork (and bone) covered in garlic, sorry forgot the name for it, were the best I've had in Thailand. This is a very good recommendation as I've eaten a lot of this all over Thailand.

When I was there I met a very nice guy from Wales who was teaching English localy. He told me a very nice story about his first day in the city. His wife, British, had been out shopping and had mistakenly given a shopkeeper 100 baht too much. About eleven o'clock that evening someone was banging on their door and as they didn't know anyone they were a bit worried. on opening the door it was the shopkeeper who had found out where they lived by asking around, don't suppose there are many white women in Chaiyaphum, and gave her the 100 baht.

One of the Hotels (can't for the life of me remember the name) has a bar outside and there is a huge place that plays live music (mainly Issan music). It's a bit noisy inside to talk but enjoyable or you can drink and talk outside. I'll have to ask the mrs later what the name is of the hotel and the big place.