Topdjdel's and Mr Bo Jangles' Chaiya Phum thread

mrbojangles

When I was there I met a very nice guy from Wales who was teaching English localy.

You found a Welshman? WOW! Best I've managed was a Canadian. Once - about 3 or 4 years back. Don't take that to mean I have something against Canadians - I don't. One can't always choose one's neighbours. ;-)

Edited by pgs

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the Hotels (can't for the life of me remember the name) has a bar outside and there is a huge place that plays live music (mainly Issan music). It's a bit noisy inside to talk but enjoyable or you can drink and talk outside. I'll have to ask the mrs later what the name is of the hotel and the big place.

I like outside "watching the world go by". Not sure if this hotel would have that kind of ambiance but willing to try. Could do without the LOUD music. What about opening hours? I would be looking for a daytime venue. :o

• 2 months later...

Happy New Year to all,

well folks, if anyone is about in Chaiyaphum March/April perhaps a few beers is on the cards.

Should hopefully be back home around 19th March.

Anyone know of the new supermarkets that have opened?? 2 I believe.

delboy

Happy New Year to all,

well folks, if anyone is about in Chaiyaphum March/April perhaps a few beers is on the cards.

Should hopefully be back home around 19th March.

Anyone know of the new supermarkets that have opened?? 2 I believe.

delboy

Macro has opened and i believe Big C is being built next door to it. I am going home today so i will have a look at the progress as i drive past.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply, forgot about this thread and have been busy with mummy and daddy. The big C is coming along although i think it will be a few months before it is ready. There is some more building going on the other side of Macro and also half way between Chaiyaphum and Chatturat. No idea what that is going to be though.

Sorry for the late reply, forgot about this thread and have been busy with mummy and daddy. The big C is coming along although i think it will be a few months before it is ready. There is some more building going on the other side of Macro and also half way between Chaiyaphum and Chatturat. No idea what that is going to be though.

Hi all,

I'm moving up to Phak dee Chumpon, about 80 km west of you in a month or so. The boss has bought a bit of land and a house for renovation there, so we'll be in Chaiyaphum a fair bit shopping for house stuff. We're moving up for good so it'd be great to catch up with any / all of you for a cold one or 10.

So.... keep me informed. Sounds like to towns getting organised.

Regards to all

Geoff

Forgot about this thread.

I'll be up in Chaiyaphum about early April. Not too sure of the exact date yet and it may even turn out to be towards the end of April (but i hope not). But keep you posted and hopefully we can try to do a catch up.

Mr Bo,

Nice to hear from you again, somehow we have managed to lose your numbers,perhaps the ladies shoud speak again.

Jandajoy,

Good luck for funiture,I remember driving to that part of the woods,up and down them mountains,lovely views.

Looking forward to some cold ones and speaking normally for a change haha

delboy

So how many have we got in the vicinity of Chaiyaphum?

myself, topdjdel, BigJimmy, Bicko, pgs and Ken (within travelling distance)

Any more out there guys?

Hi all, I should be in the Chaiyaphum area around June time this year. Planning to live with my TGF and family for a good while.

she's from a village called Ban Khwao been told its 10 mintues or so in the car to Chaiyaphum Town.

I'm from the UK and this will be my first long stay in Isaan. I have been to Surin before in the past for a brief visit.

It would be very good to meet other farangs for a get together!

Cheers

Stuart.

Edited by cwkid

Forgot about this thread.

I'll be up in Chaiyaphum about early April. Not too sure of the exact date yet and it may even turn out to be towards the end of April (but i hope not). But keep you posted and hopefully we can try to do a catch up.

Mr Bo,

Nice to hear from you again, somehow we have managed to lose your numbers,perhaps the ladies shoud speak again.

Jandajoy,

Good luck for funiture,I remember driving to that part of the woods,up and down them mountains,lovely views.

Looking forward to some cold ones and speaking normally for a change haha

delboy

Heading up north today. Probably be in Chaiyaphum on Monday or Tuesday for a bit of a look about.

If you're about give me a bell on 0890988039 over the weekend.

See ya.

Geoff

• 4 weeks later...
One of the Hotels (can't for the life of me remember the name) has a bar outside and there is a huge place that plays live music (mainly Issan music). It's a bit noisy inside to talk but enjoyable or you can drink and talk outside. I'll have to ask the mrs later what the name is of the hotel and the big place.

Hi Mr Bo,I,m in Ubon now but just visited a friend in the Chiapum area and had a blast for a week,its so hard to find farang around but as soon as you break the circle and meet a couple of people you meet their friends and frieinds of theirs etc.I wish there were as many farang in my wifes town.Outside Chiapum is a place called non be deang (excuse spelling but it sounds like that),near the market opposite a school is a shop on the corner with some seats outside,this is farang corner(named by the Thais).Most afternoons farang drink outside there from a lot of different nations and they are a friendly bunch,most of the drinking goes on at their houses when people go visiting and parties happen out of the blue a couple of times a week.I got a lift back to Ubon from a Norwegean who had a house in Ubon with his wife but was thinking of building a new house in Chiapum because of there are so many farang?Regards MJ

The hotel with the bar outside is the Siri Chai hotel. I went there for dinner one night and it was nowt special but i guess its ok for a few beers, and somewhere to park a car too. The place that plays the issan music, (live bands) is just around the corner from there too, but it does not really get busy until 11pm, plus there is one of them really annoying massage guys in the loo.

Mangojuice, i think the place you are referring to is Non Bua Daeng. I think it is on the way to the waterfall, (TadTon), but i'm not sure. It's an excuse for me to go for a ride on my bike looking for it.

Hope to see you back down in Chaiyaphum soon.

Nidge.

The hotel with the bar outside is the Siri Chai hotel. I went there for dinner one night and it was nowt special but i guess its ok for a few beers, and somewhere to park a car too.

That's the one. Cheers nidge :D

The place that plays the issan music, (live bands) is just around the corner from there too, but it does not really get busy until 11pm, plus there is one of them really annoying massage guys in the loo.

Yeah, that guy really winds me up :o

hi guys I'm from u.k ...and lived in chaiyaphum for a few years but these days i'm to be found in ipswich uk.originally from london though,....my missus and I built a house there about 15 years ago. when to see a farang in chaiyaphum was even rarer, but now our house is occupied by my wifes elderly parents in ban nonsamor down the end near the lertnimit hotel. my mate had a house in ban nonsaton which connects to tesco. ......I would like to meet up for a drink but unfortunately I'm barred from most of the town :D but still if you feel you want to put your lives in danger perhaps we could meet up sometime....maybe sept 08? :o ...all the best from dee123

Edited by dee123

By the way Del and Nidge,

How long are you in Chaiyaphum for?

It looks like i should be getting there around mid-april. Be good to catch up if you're still around.

I will be home on 13th March. Normally i am home for a month but i just quit my job. Basically i will be home until i find a new one! Hopefully i will be home for Songkran, it was great fun last time i was there.

There's a good chance we'll get to meet up then. I haven't booked the flight yet but it looks like the last 3 weeks of April. I'll probably be up there for Songkrahn as i don't fancy it in Patters or Bangers. Hope to see you then.

Mangojuice, i think the place you are referring to is Non Bua Daeng. I think it is on the way to the waterfall, (TadTon), but i'm not sure. It's an excuse for me to go for a ride on my bike looking for it.

Hope to see you back down in Chaiyaphum soon.

Nidge.

If/when you find it, maybe you could post directions. I cannot find Non Bua Daeng (or anything like it on my map). Cheers. :o

No problem Ken, I use a GPS on my bike. I'll store the location, (if i haven't already), and send you a file you csn open on google earth.

Nidge.

Just got back from a "North" motorcycle trip to Nan Province and then on the way back thru Nong Khai. Went thru Chaiyaphum on the way up and no wonder I didn't see it on my map. It's 40+ Km northwest of Chaiyaphum and I was looking for something closer. That would make it 90+ Km from where I live and I think I would rather go to Korat if I'm going to travel that far for a beer. Nice area though and saw several very big "Farang" type houses in the area. So, anywhere a bit closer to Chaiyaphum city??? :o

greetings all,

The missus and I will be in Chaiyaphum afternoon 19th,am there for a while down south for a bit and back up chaiyaphum until around 15th april i think.

I have no doubt that thursday will be a big shop,if Big c and the other aint open then will be tescos(deep joy) so if anyone is about please sy hello,I do look unusal so you will definatly be sure its me.

many thanks,looking forward to being there.

del

Big C still isn't open so it will have to be tescos. I have looked for a bar somewhere but cannot find any that are not out of town or out of the way. Looks like SiriChai hotel is the only choice :o