BANGKOK
snoop1130

Bilingual schooling planned to boost English proficiency

On 11/10/2019 at 8:46 AM, MrMo said:

The Ministry should look carefully at the "english" speakers that are employeed in English speaking roles.

Amongst the Thais, the level of proficiency is generally poor.

Amongst the foreigners employed, many have heavily accented speech.   I have encountered a number from my country, England, who teach English in Thailand and whose strong regional dialects makes it extremely difficult to understand.

Reminds me of the 14 months I spent in Scotland. I tried chatting up a young lady on a park bench and inquired where she was from. She told me she was from Germany and came to Scotland to improve her English. Really cracked me up because I was having a hard time understanding the Scottish accent.

The article and the sentiment behind it is an excellent one. So why do about 70% of the posters nitpick fault with it or with Thailand? 

Colonialist attitudes are not dead on this forum. Farang (read "White) "supremacy" of the mind seems to rule the roost here.

Edited by MRToMRT

4 minutes ago, MRToMRT said:

The article and the sentiment behind it is an excellent one. So why do about 70% of the posters nitpick fault with it or with Thailand? 

Colonialist attitudes are not dead on this forum. Farang (read "White) "supremacy" of the mind seems to rule the roost here.

Thailand was not colonized though was it, if it had been the standard of English would be better. The language has nothing to do with being white, all races speak English.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

Thailand was not colonized though was it, if it had been the standard of English would be better. The language has nothing to do with being white, all races speak English.

But the general sentiment seems to be it would have been a better place for being colonialized? And come on ...... 80% of the posters here are white males from 3 specific global regions (Europe, America and Australia).

On 11/11/2019 at 4:21 PM, MRToMRT said:

You obviously have not lived in Thailand for very long to know that the government's best published intentions seldom come to fruition. All the good intentions in the world aren't worth a damn if not implemented vigorously.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kurtf said:

You obviously have not lived in Thailand for very long to know that the government's best published intentions seldom come to fruition. All the good intentions in the world aren't worth a damn if not implemented vigorously.

Since 1994 actually. 

On 11/11/2019 at 4:33 PM, MRToMRT said:

But the general sentiment seems to be it would have been a better place for being colonialized? And come on ...... 80% of the posters here are white males from 3 specific global regions (Europe, America and Australia).

Would it be better to live in the Philippines? It my opinion it would not. 

51 minutes ago, DavisH said:

Would it be better to live in the Philippines? It my opinion it would not.

Why not? 

On 11/8/2019 at 8:33 PM, Slip said:

In fairness it is only in the last 5-10 years that the the native speakers have been squeezed out.  I'm not sure it was working that well back then either.  Those were the days that any Tom, Dick or Harry could work as a teacher just because they were white.  SSDD.

There must be a shortage of Tom's and Harry's but there are a lot of Dicks working in schools. :wai:

• Haha 2

Our son went to junior school for years in the UK when he was in university over here ,they used to pay him to teach English  sometimes as his English/Thai was better than the teachers ,he now runs a small company ,when he was initially interviewed the owner could not believe his English was so good and he had a local  English accent . Pays to be able to speak read and write English here ,my wife can as well

There's a Thai lady in my village who is the "English teacher" at the local school. Sometimes I see her in 7-Eleven and she tries to speak English with me. Given that I can barely understand a word, I don't think the kids have got much hope. 

English is the international language of business, and as we recently saw, aviation. You'd think that the Thai ministry of education would want to get some qualified, native English speakers over from the UK or the US, but it would appear that they are happy with a "Indonesian maid" standard of English. 

Edited by SteveK
  • Haha 1