BANGKOK
snoop1130

Bilingual schooling planned to boost English proficiency

I pay around 50K a year for my 6 year old to have english, math, science taught in english by a non-asian teacher.  It started off well as the teacher was english with a teaching background.  Inevitably the school p1ssed him off and he left (along with another english guy).  They were replaced by Russians...... Their english is terrible and I am constantly correcting bad pronunciation.  I will be pulling him out next year and putting him back in the main stream.  If this is the standard I get a paying at a good school, I can only imagine what government schools with limited budgets will get.

Seemingly, all the talk about improvement is in a foreign language that few can understand. The language is called "Hot air".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

“We have already prepared the budget to support the programme through to 2021,

...  and one wonders will happen to all that extra 'budget'. New cars, brown envelopes and kiks aplenty. 

And here, we have finally have it ... Thailand's Archilles heel - 'management'.

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

but it needed, among other improvements, better education management.

• Like 2

If they can get trained and degreed Filipino teachers that would cover the body count but in in my six years of teaching I've only ran into about 3-4 decent teachers in mathayom. I think they are suited best for pratom personally. In my experience they are often very poor subject teachers.

I think Scandanavians could be lumped in with what are now NES but I would not consider South Africans. Still NNES. There are some very clever Indians. Many women i tnink could be very enticed to comebto  Thailand and teach. Also think each teacher create a pronunciation video to check speech. All speakers NES included.

Top salaries in 99% of public schools is 43k pm no bonus.

Offering say 37.5 tax free with good insurance from schools. Then the government paying stipend direct to teacher for housing, transport @ 12.5k. 50k would attract many westerners.

Post graduate course teaching and education. Allow outside university in Singapore or Hong Kong to develop and run it.

Very inexpensive and simple method to renew license.

One standard 12 month holidays. Clear cut paid breaks and PD downtime.

Allow sabbatical for the cream of teachers to go to top 5 universities and collaborate on Education issues with Thai counterparts.

Allowing foreigners to form their own department within the school for autonomy with foreign HoD and one Thai admin.

Edited by Number 6

Hopefully, it will be a start towards working on improving the dismal ranking Thailand has.  I'd like to see more broadcast shows with English subtitles--and vica versa.  I noticed in the article that the program is only funded through 2021--not a good sign if you are planning on starting the students at kindergarten and having them go through high school with the program.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gashead said:

I pay around 50K a year for my 6 year old to have english, math, science taught in english by a non-asian teacher.  It started off well as the teacher was english with a teaching background.  Inevitably the school p1ssed him off and he left (along with another english guy).  They were replaced by Russians...... Their english is terrible and I am constantly correcting bad pronunciation.  I will be pulling him out next year and putting him back in the main stream.  If this is the standard I get a paying at a good school, I can only imagine what government schools with limited budgets will get.

I'm at about 80K per year for an 8 year old.

Two teachers per class, one thai one native english speaker.

Previous teacher's were mostly young americans doing a year or two

Now being slowly replace by Filipino ladies, three so far. One I talked to spoke very good english, the other two were clueless.

End of the school year we're back to my home country

12 hours ago, Slip said:

I am suggesting that as the country is already awash with Filipino teachers it could be achieved with a little extra investment.

I agree entirely that the chances of such a plan existing are less than high.

EDIT: And apologies cmarshall.  I had not specifically mentioned that example, which was kind of central to my point.

Looking on ajarn dot com you'll see literally hundreds of Filipinos looking for work as teachers. Most, judging by appearance I would not hire. Pretty much all the westerners I would not hire.

Edited by Number 6

14 hours ago, taichiplanet said:

too late, better off teaching Chinese or Hindi,

Yea that's a great idea, that way they'll speak either Chinese or Hindi, and still have to learn English to fulfil the point of this initiative. 

• Like 1

Revolutionary idea. !!

Give the kids books to read in english and let them ask the teacher questions, in english, about the words and phrases they don't understand.

Yes, I know, I know, they are not allowed to ask questions.

• Haha 1