BANGKOK
snoop1130

Bilingual schooling planned to boost English proficiency

57 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

I like the Romanian version better. The first one sounds belittling. 

Well, you have to give the Thai printer the credit, the Romanian only seconded it 😄

I compressed the story a bit. We actually had two matching slogans, one for the boys range and one for the girls:

"You are Only a Little Boy Once"

"You are Only a Little Girl Once"

Differentiating by gender made sense in terms of how they presented the two ranges and somehow sounds a tad cuter too, which is what this ridiculous brand is all about.

I do not know if you are a native speaker but, ideally, a slogan in English should convey the idea as a native speaker would currently say it, as simply as possible, no frills, no archaic sentence formation. The problem with saying "You are Once Only a Little Boy" is that, to a native speaker, it conveys a radically different idea.

Now, of course, as simple word sounds, it may sound better and, clearly, to Thai ears it did. If they wanted, however, to put potential buyers in mind of that perfect photo moment, my version conveyed that specific idea.

Edited by donnacha
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Bangkokians ranked highest for English proficiency, followed by residents of Nonthaburi, Chiang Mai, Chon Buri and Khon Kaen.

Sorry, but I have to disagree with Khon Kaen. If they know English, they are too shy to use it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

An impossibility!!! A billingual curriculum across all subjects would require Thai teacher's to be proficient in English to start with. 

• Like 1

Well, while one might blame the school programs etc. there also has to be some motivation on the student's side too. I have friend's with children but in two cases while the parents have told me the children have their English Language homework to do, never once in several years have they asked to practice on or with me. Having said that, I have never offered either.

• Like 2

surprised  they  dont  think  the  rest of  the  world  should  speak Thai

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The aim is to develop children’s language skills so the country can be more competitive in international fields, he said.

So stop employing Thai teachers who have no capacity for teaching English after leaving University training.

Stop employing foreign teachers whose language skills are less than adequate.
Start by raising the standards of teachers and the students may have half a chance at a decent education.

Past years have seen an endless supply of the no-fail Thai system passing off new teachers as qualified, and an endless stream of foreign teachers who cannot speak the English language enough to teach it.