USA METV preferred location?

I was working in South Carolina this year and I'd like to apply for a METV for the first time. Is there a preferred location to apply in? I understand I need to send my passport in the mail anyways so I guess I can choose the location. The only embassy I know of is in LA but maybe there's a better option. My ticket is for January 7th (leaving from LA actually because I'm flying to Colorado first) so I have some time to decide.

Thanks.

Technically you are supposed to use Washington because of your home location;

https://www.thaicgny.com/ภาษาอ-งกฤษ-english-version/visa-service/map/

However I strongly recommend you borrow a north-eastern friend's home address and use New York:

https://www.thaicgny.com/ภาษาอ-งกฤษ-english-version/

LA is horrible, slow, and bureaucratic and Washington is not much better.  I wouldn't go as far as to say your chances of getting the visa are less with LA (though it is possible) but for sure you'll enjoy the process less.  As a general rule of thumb, smaller embassies/consulates are always better in terms of service and ability to say yes.

5 hours ago, lsemprini said:

Technically you are supposed to use Washington because of your home location;

https://www.thaicgny.com/ภาษาอ-งกฤษ-english-version/visa-service/map/

However I strongly recommend you borrow a north-eastern friend's home address and use New York:

https://www.thaicgny.com/ภาษาอ-งกฤษ-english-version/

LA is horrible, slow, and bureaucratic and Washington is not much better.  I wouldn't go as far as to say your chances of getting the visa are less with LA (though it is possible) but for sure you'll enjoy the process less.  As a general rule of thumb, smaller embassies/consulates are always better in terms of service and ability to say yes.

My parents address is in Colorado so I could use that. Do they require you to use the closest embassy to your address?

again sorry for the noise. Looking at the DC website I don't see any clarification of what they want for proof of employment. They said they don't take pay stubs but I thought a check showing the University paid me would be employment proof. Is a W-2 form any better?

I hadn't realized that service map existed. I am living in Florida but sent my passport to the Thai consulate for a SETV. I see they received it on Monday but haven't seen the return tracking number activate yet. I used to live in California and have had good experiences with LA in the past that's why I sent it there. Hopefully it works out. 

19 minutes ago, wasabi said:

I hadn't realized that service map existed. I am living in Florida but sent my passport to the Thai consulate for a SETV. I see they received it on Monday but haven't seen the return tracking number activate yet. I used to live in California and have had good experiences with LA in the past that's why I sent it there. Hopefully it works out. 

That's interesting thanks.

What did you show for employment proof? I have a pay stub that says University of South Carolina paid me money (who knows why I guess) but they don't accept that they say??? 

My wife and I own our own business so we can write letters for ourselves. I always include our business registration as well. If you are employed elsewhere you need a letter from your employer there are various samples of what needs to be said online. They do not accept paystubs, not sure why.

32 minutes ago, wasabi said:

My wife and I own our own business so we can write letters for ourselves. I always include our business registration as well. If you are employed elsewhere you need a letter from your employer there are various samples of what needs to be said online. They do not accept paystubs, not sure why.

I should ask my boss for a letter that says "This guys works me, signed his boss." ? I would think a pay stub would be better and no idea why they don't just ask for a specific kind of document.

2 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

as for the employment, what does one put down if retired and not working?  I have plenty of assets, can show plenty of passive income from stocks bonds, dividends, interest, etc, but has anybody that is retired gotten the METV? 

This visa still in 2019 doesn't make any sense. It's a tourist visa with a total of 9 months right?, but they request proof of employment  as if employed people just run off to Thailand for months on end. DC website says pay stubs are not accepted (quote:  **we don’t accept pay stubs**) either because apparently the institution paying you isn't sufficient proof that they've hired you??? I wish they would just tell us what they want.

3 hours ago, genericptr said:

This visa still in 2019 doesn't make any sense. It's a tourist visa with a total of 9 months right?, but they request proof of employment  as if employed people just run off to Thailand for months on end. DC website says pay stubs are not accepted (quote:  **we don’t accept pay stubs**) either because apparently the institution paying you isn't sufficient proof that they've hired you??? I wish they would just tell us what they want.

Yes that is another problem with the larger bureaucratic embassies/consulates: they publish non-sensical requirements and then there is nobody to talk to/ask.  New York doesn't ask for proof of employment and I suspect that none of the other US embassies/consulates really require it, but they cannot admit that the published rules make no sense, because that would be a loss of face for their superiors.  However if you phone up the embassy/consulate and are (miraculously) able to reach a human and ask then they should be able to tell you the truth about what is really required (since that is not a public forum and face is less of an issue).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, genericptr said:

Sorry I just looked at the link you sent. My address I currently have in South Carolina is in the Washington region which the map shows so I'll try that one. I agree LA is probably <deleted>. I don't even like to be in the airport there.

Incredible you speak harsh about LA. Walk in service is welcomed. Submit morning first day, pick up visa second day.

Turnaround via mail 10-12 business days .

Always found them to answer emails and questions quickly.

I highly recommend the LA Thai Consulate

Tj

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, lsemprini said:

Yes that is another problem with the larger bureaucratic embassies/consulates: they publish non-sensical requirements and then there is nobody to talk to/ask.  New York doesn't ask for proof of employment and I suspect that none of the other US embassies/consulates really require it, but they cannot admit that the published rules make no sense, because that would be a loss of face for their superiors.  However if you phone up the embassy/consulate and are (miraculously) able to reach a human and ask then they should be able to tell you the truth about what is really required (since that is not a public forum and face is less of an issue).

Super easy to speak with someone in NYC I’ve done it several times last time was in SEPT. The rules for  a METV are clear and easy to follow ( so I don’t understand your comment on that either). You DO need employment verification as well ( so I don’t know why you say you don’t) in NYC they don’t want a pay stub as OP mentioned. I keep mine super simple and most people over think everything and don’t realize these papers are barely looked at. On a non letter head piece of paper I type “ This is to verify or certify ( doesn’t matter which) John Doe has been A full time employee at xyz company for 15 years , please let know if you have any questions. “ 

signature is a boss ( he tells me to do it ) and I attach a business card and mine. Fill in your own name and company/ work place name obviously. 
That’s it. 
I’m quite sure you have to apply to the consulate that handles your area. OP there is not an embassy in Los Angeles it is a consulate. There is only one embassy in Washington DC. Also if you live and work in SC it would seem strange for you go through the Colorado area consulate because your employment letter is not from there. 

Edited by alex8912

When I lived in the mid US, I obtained 2 visas from LA, the first in person (2 days), the second one by mail (less than 10 days).  In between those two, I once drove the 5 1/2 hours to Chicago to apply in person (2 days). At Chicago, I was asked to provide my flight itinerary and current bank statement, neither of which I had with me. I found a wi-fi hot spot, emailed my flight details to them, then called my bank and they reluctantly agreed to email my account balance to the Consulate. This experience led me to apply by mail to LA for the 3rd one.   

I used NYC consulate to obtain OA visas many times with no problem but now live in Florida so used DC this year....they processed visa within a day and then let it sit for a week before it was sent to me via Express Mail which I thought was strange...it was like they did this on purpose.  Otherwise no problem. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, alex8912 said:

Super easy to speak with someone in NYC I’ve done it several times last time was in SEPT. The rules for  a METV are clear and easy to follow ( so I don’t understand your comment on that either).

To be clear, I meant that NYC was an example of an excellent and (relatively) small consulate/embassy that was very responsive to questions and clear about requirements, so we agree there.

You DO need employment verification as well ( so I don’t know why you say you don’t) in NYC they don’t want a pay stub as OP mentioned. I keep mine super simple and most people over think everything and don’t realize these papers are barely looked at. On a non letter head piece of paper I type “ This is to verify or certify ( doesn’t matter which) John Doe has been A full time employee at xyz company for 15 years , please let know if you have any questions. “ 

I call and ask each time I apply and each time they told me I don't need anything for employment verification, only the income verification.  So it probably just depends on which person there you happen to reach when you ask.  It might also depend on the amount shown in the account for income verification (but of course nobody will ever say this even if you are rejected).

signature is a boss ( he tells me to do it ) and I attach a business card and mine. Fill in your own name and company/ work place name obviously. 
That’s it. 
I’m quite sure you have to apply to the consulate that handles your area.

Yes that is the policy.  I simply send via a friend's address in the correct region and they are happy.

OP there is not an embassy in Los Angeles it is a consulate. There is only one embassy in Washington DC. Also if you live and work in SC it would seem strange for you go through the Colorado area consulate because your employment letter is not from there. 

In my case (and presumably many others) they don't ask for employment verification, so nothing else other than the home address on the application form even has an address.

3 hours ago, lsemprini said:

In my case (and presumably many others) they don't ask for employment verification, so nothing else other than the home address on the application form even has an address.

I'm feeling like I may just send in my pay stubs anyways and if they ask send them another document of their request.

11 hours ago, alex8912 said:

Super easy to speak with someone in NYC I’ve done it several times last time was in SEPT. The rules for  a METV are clear and easy to follow ( so I don’t understand your comment on that either). You DO need employment verification as well ( so I don’t know why you say you don’t) in NYC they don’t want a pay stub as OP mentioned. I keep mine super simple and most people over think everything and don’t realize these papers are barely looked at. On a non letter head piece of paper I type “ This is to verify or certify ( doesn’t matter which) John Doe has been A full time employee at xyz company for 15 years , please let know if you have any questions. “ 

That’s it. 
I’m quite sure you have to apply to the consulate that handles your area. OP there is not an embassy in Los Angeles it is a consulate. There is only one embassy in Washington DC. Also if you live and work in SC it would seem strange for you go through the Colorado area consulate because your employment letter is not from there. 

so what do you do if not employed and are retired and self sufficient with investment income?

1 hour ago, gk10002000 said:
13 hours ago, alex8912 said:

That’s it. 

Thanks for the info. I have this job for just one year (I'm from Colorado) but I'll have my boss sign a document stating that fact.

1 hour ago, gk10002000 said:

o what do you do if not employed and are retired and self sufficient with investment income?

If you're not employed and under 50 but have means to live in Thailand there's no visa for you besides the elite or marriage. They simply don't want us floating around their country anymore. I'm sick of being treated like a criminal over this so I'm either going to make plans for marriage or cut off the country before I get trapped even more. 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, travelerjim said:

Incredible you speak harsh about LA. Walk in service is welcomed. Submit morning first day, pick up visa second day.

Turnaround via mail 10-12 business days .

Always found them to answer emails and questions quickly.

I highly recommend the LA Thai Consulate

Tj

Ditto

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ChristianBlessing said:

I just applied for and received an METV issued by the Thai Royal Consulate in LA. I simply listed myself as "Retired" and provided 6 months of my bank balance (exceeding $7000 for each month).

That's good to know thanks. The work requirement for a long term tourist simply doesn't make sense so perhaps the consulate employees know this and act accordingly.

4 hours ago, ChristianBlessing said:

. The LA consulate also has walk-in hours so if you have several days in LA prior to your flight you might use that option. Do keep in mind that the visa is in effect from the time of its stamping, so if you're pushing it to the entire 6 months the walk-in option will buy you a few more days.

Christian, although I never used a METV, I thought that any visa is in effect up until the expiry date. Thus the METV should be valid from the date you first enter Thailand for the next 6 months, not from the date you received it.  I could be wrong on this.

16 minutes ago, kokopelli said:

Christian, although I never used a METV, I thought that any visa is in effect up until the expiry date. Thus the METV should be valid from the date you first enter Thailand for the next 6 months, not from the date you received it.  I could be wrong on this.

A visas period of validity starts from the date it is issued.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, kokopelli said:

No. It starts the day they approve it then mail or give it back to you. But if you get it a week or two before leaving you can leave and enter Thailand just before it expires and if you did 60 days plus 30 days extension  in Thailand at first then enter again 60 days plus 30 days extension again then leave just before it expires as I mention then you get 60 days plus extension again to make almost 9 months use. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

A visas period of validity starts from the date it is issued.

I do agree with you ubonjoe.  The validity of the visa starts the date issued and, I believe, it is valid for 3 months (at least for a Tourist Visa).

But this is what I was questioning and what ChristianBlessing posted:

"I sent my passport and documentation by post and everything was returned within about 10 days. The LA consulate also has walk-in hours so if you have several days in LA prior to your flight you might use that option. Do keep in mind that the visa is in effect from the time of its stamping, so if you're pushing it to the entire 6 months the walk-in option will buy you a few more days."

I don't understand how a walk in option would buy any extra time?  Not trying to quibble.

3 minutes ago, kokopelli said:

I do agree with you ubonjoe.  The validity of the visa starts the date issued and, I believe, it is valid for 3 months (at least for a Tourist Visa).

It is 6 months for a multiple entry tourist visa.