Jump to content
BANGKOK
genericptr

USA METV preferred location?

Recommended Posts

I was working in South Carolina this year and I'd like to apply for a METV for the first time. Is there a preferred location to apply in? I understand I need to send my passport in the mail anyways so I guess I can choose the location. The only embassy I know of is in LA but maybe there's a better option. My ticket is for January 7th (leaving from LA actually because I'm flying to Colorado first) so I have some time to decide.

 

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Technically you are supposed to use Washington because of your home location;

 

https://www.thaicgny.com/ภาษาอ-งกฤษ-english-version/visa-service/map/

 

However I strongly recommend you borrow a north-eastern friend's home address and use New York:

 

https://www.thaicgny.com/ภาษาอ-งกฤษ-english-version/

 

LA is horrible, slow, and bureaucratic and Washington is not much better.  I wouldn't go as far as to say your chances of getting the visa are less with LA (though it is possible) but for sure you'll enjoy the process less.  As a general rule of thumb, smaller embassies/consulates are always better in terms of service and ability to say yes.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, lsemprini said:

Technically you are supposed to use Washington because of your home location;

 

https://www.thaicgny.com/ภาษาอ-งกฤษ-english-version/visa-service/map/

 

However I strongly recommend you borrow a north-eastern friend's home address and use New York:

 

https://www.thaicgny.com/ภาษาอ-งกฤษ-english-version/

 

LA is horrible, slow, and bureaucratic and Washington is not much better.  I wouldn't go as far as to say your chances of getting the visa are less with LA (though it is possible) but for sure you'll enjoy the process less.  As a general rule of thumb, smaller embassies/consulates are always better in terms of service and ability to say yes.

 

My parents address is in Colorado so I could use that. Do they require you to use the closest embassy to your address?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry I just looked at the link you sent. My address I currently have in South Carolina is in the Washington region which the map shows so I'll try that one. I agree LA is probably <deleted>. I don't even like to be in the airport there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

again sorry for the noise. Looking at the DC website I don't see any clarification of what they want for proof of employment. They said they don't take pay stubs but I thought a check showing the University paid me would be employment proof. Is a W-2 form any better?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hadn't realized that service map existed. I am living in Florida but sent my passport to the Thai consulate for a SETV. I see they received it on Monday but haven't seen the return tracking number activate yet. I used to live in California and have had good experiences with LA in the past that's why I sent it there. Hopefully it works out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, wasabi said:

I hadn't realized that service map existed. I am living in Florida but sent my passport to the Thai consulate for a SETV. I see they received it on Monday but haven't seen the return tracking number activate yet. I used to live in California and have had good experiences with LA in the past that's why I sent it there. Hopefully it works out. 

That's interesting thanks.

 

What did you show for employment proof? I have a pay stub that says University of South Carolina paid me money (who knows why I guess) but they don't accept that they say??? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife and I own our own business so we can write letters for ourselves. I always include our business registration as well. If you are employed elsewhere you need a letter from your employer there are various samples of what needs to be said online. They do not accept paystubs, not sure why.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, wasabi said:

My wife and I own our own business so we can write letters for ourselves. I always include our business registration as well. If you are employed elsewhere you need a letter from your employer there are various samples of what needs to be said online. They do not accept paystubs, not sure why.

I should ask my boss for a letter that says "This guys works me, signed his boss." ? I would think a pay stub would be better and no idea why they don't just ask for a specific kind of document.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

as for the employment, what does one put down if retired and not working?  I have plenty of assets, can show plenty of passive income from stocks bonds, dividends, interest, etc, but has anybody that is retired gotten the METV? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

as for the employment, what does one put down if retired and not working?  I have plenty of assets, can show plenty of passive income from stocks bonds, dividends, interest, etc, but has anybody that is retired gotten the METV? 

This visa still in 2019 doesn't make any sense. It's a tourist visa with a total of 9 months right?, but they request proof of employment  as if employed people just run off to Thailand for months on end. DC website says pay stubs are not accepted (quote:  **we don’t accept pay stubs**) either because apparently the institution paying you isn't sufficient proof that they've hired you??? I wish they would just tell us what they want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, genericptr said:

This visa still in 2019 doesn't make any sense. It's a tourist visa with a total of 9 months right?, but they request proof of employment  as if employed people just run off to Thailand for months on end. DC website says pay stubs are not accepted (quote:  **we don’t accept pay stubs**) either because apparently the institution paying you isn't sufficient proof that they've hired you??? I wish they would just tell us what they want.

 

Yes that is another problem with the larger bureaucratic embassies/consulates: they publish non-sensical requirements and then there is nobody to talk to/ask.  New York doesn't ask for proof of employment and I suspect that none of the other US embassies/consulates really require it, but they cannot admit that the published rules make no sense, because that would be a loss of face for their superiors.  However if you phone up the embassy/consulate and are (miraculously) able to reach a human and ask then they should be able to tell you the truth about what is really required (since that is not a public forum and face is less of an issue).

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, genericptr said:

Sorry I just looked at the link you sent. My address I currently have in South Carolina is in the Washington region which the map shows so I'll try that one. I agree LA is probably <deleted>. I don't even like to be in the airport there.

Incredible you speak harsh about LA. Walk in service is welcomed. Submit morning first day, pick up visa second day.

Turnaround via mail 10-12 business days .

Always found them to answer emails and questions quickly.

I highly recommend the LA Thai Consulate

Tj

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, lsemprini said:

 

Yes that is another problem with the larger bureaucratic embassies/consulates: they publish non-sensical requirements and then there is nobody to talk to/ask.  New York doesn't ask for proof of employment and I suspect that none of the other US embassies/consulates really require it, but they cannot admit that the published rules make no sense, because that would be a loss of face for their superiors.  However if you phone up the embassy/consulate and are (miraculously) able to reach a human and ask then they should be able to tell you the truth about what is really required (since that is not a public forum and face is less of an issue).

 

Super easy to speak with someone in NYC I’ve done it several times last time was in SEPT. The rules for  a METV are clear and easy to follow ( so I don’t understand your comment on that either). You DO need employment verification as well ( so I don’t know why you say you don’t) in NYC they don’t want a pay stub as OP mentioned. I keep mine super simple and most people over think everything and don’t realize these papers are barely looked at. On a non letter head piece of paper I type “ This is to verify or certify ( doesn’t matter which) John Doe has been A full time employee at xyz company for 15 years , please let know if you have any questions. “ 

 

signature is a boss ( he tells me to do it ) and I attach a business card and mine. Fill in your own name and company/ work place name obviously. 
That’s it. 
I’m quite sure you have to apply to the consulate that handles your area. OP there is not an embassy in Los Angeles it is a consulate. There is only one embassy in Washington DC. Also if you live and work in SC it would seem strange for you go through the Colorado area consulate because your employment letter is not from there. 

Edited by alex8912

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I lived in the mid US, I obtained 2 visas from LA, the first in person (2 days), the second one by mail (less than 10 days).  In between those two, I once drove the 5 1/2 hours to Chicago to apply in person (2 days). At Chicago, I was asked to provide my flight itinerary and current bank statement, neither of which I had with me. I found a wi-fi hot spot, emailed my flight details to them, then called my bank and they reluctantly agreed to email my account balance to the Consulate. This experience led me to apply by mail to LA for the 3rd one.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...