Jetski rent... ?

craige1

I can remember that the jetski scam was a huge issue in the late 90's and early 2000's with the police blatantly involved in fleecing tourists. It got to the point where it looked like the things might just be completely banned at certain beaches. Unfortunately, the operators seem to have cooperated and jetskis never were banned. I guess they have their place somewhere in the water but certainly not around beaches commonly used by swimmers. 

10 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

How did they resolve it?

The army resolved it in Pattaya. Now all jetski operators have to have insurance. In the event of damage to a jetski the renter only pays a sum of 4000 Baht for the excess and no more.

11 hours ago, champers said:

The army resolved it in Pattaya. Now all jetski operators have to have insurance. In the event of damage to a jetski the renter only pays a sum of 4000 Baht for the excess and no more.

Even if the Jetski operators have insurance, what's stopping them from scamming tourists like before? I'm sure most of them already had insurance before, but were scamming tourists by making up fake damages which were already there under the Jetskis.

1 hour ago, bbi1 said:

Even if the Jetski operators have insurance, what's stopping them from scamming tourists like before? I'm sure most of them already had insurance before, but were scamming tourists by making up fake damages which were already there under the Jetskis.

I haven't seen a jetski scam story in Pattaya for something like 4 years, maybe more. I think most jetski renters were honest anyway but the few that weren't gave everyone a bad name. They were operating opposite Royal Garden Plaza and were notorious. 

I have no idea about the situation in Phuket which was the OP's specific concern.

27 minutes ago, champers said:

I haven't seen a jetski scam story in Pattaya for something like 4 years, maybe more. I think most jetski renters were honest anyway but the few that weren't gave everyone a bad name. They were operating opposite Royal Garden Plaza and were notorious. 

I have no idea about the situation in Phuket which was the OP's specific concern.

OP should do a quick Google search and he'd find his answer:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293920-i5037-k6015393-Jet_ski_scam-Phuket.html

http://www.phuket.com/phuket-magazine/phuket-scams.htm

19 hours ago, champers said:

so only $200 ozzie dollars for a scratch, phew that's a relief

2 hours ago, madmen said:

so only $200 ozzie dollars for a scratch, phew that's a relief

I suppose there is also a sum included for loss of revenue whilst the jetski is away being repaired. I was given the excess charge as being 4000, but no breakdown as to how that figure was arrived at.

19 hours ago, bbi1 said:

19 hours ago, bbi1 said:

Nice 6 year old trip advisor story, a half wit talking gibberish and a video of a potential

scam filmed by someone who got bored and hungry long before the climax. 

What happened to the Russian in pink shorts? We will never know!

Still scams here in Phuket.

There was a farang lady going off on our beach front the other day.

Cops came ,  kept it all low key , but she paid something , we all saw that.

I have no idea why anyone would want to pay $75 aud  to these bad boys of the beach here

How much does a legal and licensed and actually safety checked one cost to hire for 30 minutes back home ??

10 hours ago, zaZa9 said:

Still scams here in Phuket.

There was a farang lady going off on our beach front the other day.

Cops came ,  kept it all low key , but she paid something , we all saw that.

I have no idea why anyone would want to pay $75 aud  to these bad boys of the beach here

How much does a legal and licensed and actually safety checked one cost to hire for 30 minutes back home ??

What beach, please?

• 4 weeks later...

Archived