BANGKOK
Thaivisa Web Content Team

Chinese Men Obsessed with Martial Arts Novels Go Into the Mountains to Live Out Their Fantasies

Wuxia (martial arts and chivalry) novels and films are very popular in China, but while most people are content just reading or watching the exploits of fictional heroes, some go to extremes in order to experience these adventures themselves.

Jin Yong is considered one of the greatest and most popular wuxia writers in history, and his novels have enjoyed massive success among both Chinese communities around the world and have been translated in several foreign languages. His works have inspired dozens of martial arts movies and TV series, and if news reports in Chinese media are to be believed, they’ve even pushed some die-hard fans to live their lives behind, venture into the mountains, and train like Yong’s fictional characters.

Wuxia (martial arts and chivalry) novels and films are very popular in China, but while most people are content just reading or watching the exploits of fictional heroes, some go to extremes in order to experience these adventures themselves.

Jin Yong is considered one of the greatest and most popular wuxia writers in history, and his novels have enjoyed massive success among both Chinese communities around the world and have been translated in several foreign languages. His works have inspired dozens of martial arts movies and TV series, and if news reports in Chinese media are to be believed, they’ve even pushed some die-hard fans to live their lives behind, venture into the mountains, and train like Yong’s fictional characters.

So why didn’t Xiaohao just train at home? Well, apparently he felt modern society was much too noisy, making it impossible to focus during his training. He felt that he wasn’t progressing in his quest to become a martial artist like the heroes of his favorite books, so he decided to retreat into the mountain.

Full article

I know the feeling...I was impressed with "Mutiny on the Bounty"...where beautiful young Tahitian island girls swam out to welcome the crew...wearing no tops...and "Emerald Forest" where young female forest dwellers wore very little...or nothing at all...

I did not go to the mountains though...Thailand called and I answered...a young man's fantasy played out in the bars of Korat everynight...🎆👍

On 11/9/2019 at 12:35 AM, Puchaiyank said:

I know the feeling...I was impressed with "Mutiny on the Bounty"...where beautiful young Tahitian island girls swam out to welcome the crew...wearing no tops...and "Emerald Forest" where young female forest dwellers wore very little...or nothing at all...

I did not go to the mountains though...Thailand called and I answered...a young man's fantasy played out in the bars of Korat everynight...🎆👍

Maybe the mountain should come to you 😉

• Haha 1

Yeah, been there, done that. With me it was the Pennine Way. Can't say it helped much in life, Maybe made me more centered. Like you know what's really important if you're freezing, hungry, and don't know where the hell you are.