BANGKOK
kiever

sea is ok for swimming during december ?

hi for all
i was in phuket in agust and september but sea wasnt suitable to swim. i stayed in surin. i checked everywhere from from bang tao to nai yang and almost all beaches had red flags and banned to swim because strong waves and current. i travelled khao lak and phang nga  and sea was same there. after december sea is ok to swim in phuket ? currently im in samui but didnt like here at all, traffic is just crazy, overcrowded. plan to move phuket but i want to be sure about sea during this year. many thanks

44 minutes ago, Puchaiyank said:

There have been several instances of tourists getting in trouble in the Phuket surf lately...

I would be more concerned with polluted waters...

Kamala beach has one of the best, if not the best, year round swimming beaches in terms of relative safety.

Unlike most other of Phuket beaches that have short steep drop-offs, Kamala beach has a long gentle slope, so it is far more safe even during the wavy/stormy months june-oct.

That being said, the water is normally Relatively calm or almost flat from late-november until April/May on all the west coast beaches. 

• Like 2

As a previous ocean swimmer I would say usually the monsoon are gone mid November and I think too remember only a few years there have been to bad to swim in December but it happens now and then.

My swim personal preference I Phuket have always been Bang tao and Nai Harn where you in high season also will see and/or meet swimmers already early morning doing their lengths. 

• Like 2

On 11/9/2019 at 1:51 AM, Puchaiyank said:

There have been several instances of tourists getting in trouble in the Phuket surf lately...

I would be more concerned with polluted waters...

Spot on about pollution. I wonder if any of the authorities maintain a water sampling process to check how bad it is. Years ago Bali was the place for tourists. As per usual they went into overdrive and built many hotels with no sewage or grey water systems, it all went into the sea. Until a tourist was bumped swimming by a blind brown mackerel, then people didnt go into the water as skin diseases and other issues occurred..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, seas are safe in December.

I personally like to swim at Nai Harn.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alien365 said:

Any jelly fish around at this time of year?

Dec. of last year, I saw full invasion of these killers on the sand beach in Chantha. (Chao Lao)

Edited by Tarteso

24 minutes ago, Tarteso said:

Dec. of last year, I saw full invasion of these killers on the sand beach in Chantha. (Chao Lao)

Killers? Do you mean Irukandji, box jellyfish?

6 hours ago, Tarteso said:

Thanks for the info. I didnt know they were around Thailand. They are around the North coast of Australia and they have bottles of vinegar adjacent to warning signs  to pour on the wound and neutralise the sting. It works well. I speak from painful experience...ouch. Cheers

Read your weather, why the trip is cheap and the hotel is cheaper than usual?!?!? It's monsoon storm season, for cries sake!

HAHA moving from Samui to Phuket to get away from the traffic???  I just went the opposite direction for the same reason.  Your research is dramatically flawed.  If you think Laem Sor has too many cars you are gonna be on suicide watch in Phuket.  That said, south of Surin the only major beach that is not visibly gross is Nai Harn but that is when the sand is holding back the lagoon **cough swamp** from dumping into the sea on the south side. Its amazing to see that no one swims in the lagoon itself yet there are tons of families putting their infants in the same water after it is somehow magically sanitized after passing under the road??  If it was not for the Wat owning most of the land behind Naiharn beach it would be a hotel cesspool as well.  Even Yanui beach around the corner from Naiharn has become a natural plastic trap to the left of the rock outcropping. The cut off is Kata Noi but once you hit Kata that brown/green mucus that covers the beach at low tide that smells like urine is let's say... unappealing. I have actually seen people wading into thick brown bubbling slime there. Stay in Surin unless you want to swim in human waste and sit in a traffic jam to get to it and home from it.  My advice before you go to any beach in Thailand is to visit on google maps first. Take a look at what is visibly draining into it and ask yourself if you would swim in that.  Watch how fast you start looking for a house with a pool.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1