Historically what has caused Thailand to loosen up on their Visa policies

Hal65

Loosening up can be either making things easier on paper or in practice (how IOs are told to handle you).

I see it mentioned often during a tightening period like this past year, that "they'll change again after some pain." Historically is this actually true?

If it does yoyo back and forth, I suppose slow tourism numbers and declining revenues are the catalyst for changing attitudes? Or are the other more important factors?

We arrived back from N.Z. on the 9th Nov at 9 pm at the airport, hardly any one here no qs and heaps of imm officers just sitting around chatting. For the first time ever I saw a indian woman pulled over at customs check when she tried to walk though the green gate. I sailed passed no bother with my partner we had 3 suitcases and 3 carry ons ????

I have a retirement visa my partner is Thai

Edited by whiteman
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

53 minutes ago, Tounge Thaied said:

There is a global tightening on freedom of movement on this planet.

I believe that is the biggest influence on Thailand's current position - others!!! Sure there are reasons we have no idea about?

Historically they only encouraged visits, back when I arrived there were only around 3 million a year, now they have more than enough and are "choosy"!

IMO it has definitely become harder for those who are sailing close to the wind financially, or are not complying with the rules. I've actually found it easier to deal with Immigration after the shakeup at Chiang Mai.

No argument the current government is a bunch of d&&kheads. However, they can't go too far with the tourist side of things without p$$%ing off the Chinese, to whom they owe a lot of money, plus it would endanger infrastructure projects. Unless they create a new visa class for the Chinese alone, which would then p**s off the Americans. Stupid they are, but not that stupid.

The only dealbreakers for me are increasing the funds required on deposit, or mandating health insurance. Which I would not get due to age and pre-existing conditions. Then it would be adios Thailand.

2 hours ago, whiteman said:

We arrived back from N.Z. on the 9th Nov at 9 pm at the airport, hardly any one here no qs and heaps of imm officers just sitting around chatting. For the first time ever I saw a indian woman pulled over at customs check when she tried to walk though the green gate. I sailed passed no bother with my partner we had 3 suitcases and 3 carry ons ????

I have a retirement visa my partner is Thai

Flew out on Monday the 4th, BA10 to London. Suvarnabhumi was dead. The Chinese greatly outnumbered all other groups at the airport and there weren't all that many Chinese....

I used the MRT & ARL from Hualampong to Suvarnabhumi. White / Black faces as I made my way through Bangkok? I'll be generous and say around 15. No-one can tell me something isn't going on and that tourist numbers are just peachy.

Edited by baboon

11 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Historically, not sure...but in the last few years they may be asking: "What would the Chinese do?"  "How can we change the visa requirements to please the Chinese?"  

Just a guess...????

I can't ever remember the Thai government making things easier for us westerners.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I can't ever remember the Thai government making things easier for us westerners.

Your comments are so predictable...

Just put your TVF poster name in the comments section...we will know what you want to say...????

• Sad 2

Consider the notion that the military junta may not want tourism at all, in any shape or form. Then everything suddenly becomes clear. Make visas hard to get, bank accounts almost impossible, let the baht sky rocket. The elite are loving the latter with their foreign investments. The military want to keep the country in the hands of the Thais. They seem to be doing a very good job so far.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1