Anyone flown to Laos from UK to go through Land Border

your pushing the amount of time you are staying in Thailand, china southern fly lhr/vte not stopping in bkk, Malaysia would also avoid a stop over in bkk, as you posted you would be safer arriving from a surrounding country , just in case you get refused.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, pantsonfire said:

I don't need to go through immigrantion during transit at bkk.  Kl seems to operate only one flight to vte in the early morning

Guess my question is, if i do the flight in the image below without having to exit bkk immigration and changing at bkk to get the next flight to laos.  Going through friendship bridge and i get rejected, i return back to laos ?

image.png.9c8c329f78cda05a33b33f1f9e1cf3c7.png

If you get rejected at Laos you just go back to Laos.

Do you have a new tourist visa in your passport? Just make sure you have 20000 baht with you,  and you won't have any problems.

Another option,  again assuming you have a tourist visa,  would be to fly into Chiang Mai airport,  rather than bkk. There's no reports of them rejecting anyone with a valid visa.  

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, mockingbird said:

If you get rejected at Laos you just go back to Laos.

Do you have a new tourist visa in your passport? Just make sure you have 20000 baht with you,  and you won't have any problems.

Another option,  again assuming you have a tourist visa,  would be to fly into Chiang Mai airport,  rather than bkk. There's no reports of them rejecting anyone with a valid visa.  

I have read about that and would prefer CNX but i have also read some rejections too maybe somewhere in the forum somewhere

4 minutes ago, pantsonfire said:

I have read about that and would prefer CNX but i have also read some rejections too maybe somewhere in the forum somewhere

The reports of rejections from Chiang Mai were for people with extensive history flying in on visa exempt. In fact in 1 recent report the IO told the guy to get a visa in Kuala Lumpur,  and then come back. 

11 minutes ago, mockingbird said:

The reports of rejections from Chiang Mai were for people with extensive history flying in on visa exempt. In fact in 1 recent report the IO told the guy to get a visa in Kuala Lumpur,  and then come back. 

I have used 1 SETV with extension and another SETV for 18 days and 1 VE via land border crossing in this calender year, so suggestion is to get another SETV and go through CNX?

Edited by pantsonfire

As you're in the UK, then make sure you obtain a tourist visa.  That's a no brainer.

There's nothing certain when it comes to dealing with Thai immigration,  but up to now,  immigration officers at CNX have not been causing problems for anyone with a tourist visa.  Your original choice of the friendship bridge is another safe option.

The big difference between the 2 is that in the unlikely event of refusal, you would only have to walk back into Laos, whereas in CNX you would be forced to buy a ticket back to your embarking point. 

Edited by mockingbird
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, mockingbird said:

immigration officers at CNX have not been causing problems for anyone with a tourist visa.

Yet. After multiple posts on this forum, and if immigration do actually monitor it, expect this loophole to be closed very soon.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SteveK said:

Yet. After multiple posts on this forum, and if immigration do actually monitor it, expect this loophole to be closed very soon.

It's not a loophole.  It's immigration policy at Chiang Mai.  Same as the border crossing at laos...immigration policy,  not a loophole. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, pantsonfire said:

Guess my question is, if i do the flight in the image below without having to exit bkk immigration and changing at bkk to get the next flight to laos.  Going through friendship bridge and i get rejected, i return back to laos ?

image.png.9c8c329f78cda05a33b33f1f9e1cf3c7.png

To avoid having to go through immigration at BKK, you need to get both flights on the one ticket. And then you are not sure. The trouble with the flight from BKK to Vientiane is that it is operated by Thai Smile, which is a low-cost airline which generally do not accept bags from scheduled flights.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Proboscis said:

To avoid having to go through immigration at BKK, you need to get both flights on the one ticket. And then you are not sure. The trouble with the flight from BKK to Vientiane is that it is operated by Thai Smile, which is a low-cost airline which generally do not accept bags from scheduled flights.

I have asked two travel agents an they mention i dont need to check in again an the luggage allowance is 30kg.  I guess i an ask Thai Airways directly but i i can 90% of flights that go to VTE is from BKK

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, pantsonfire said:

what should it be for address of stay if using as border run and car vehicle?

I think you could put air plane, bus, car and etc for vehicle.

Ust the name and address of any hotel in Vientiane.

Thanks all

Ok iam all booked up on this to see if i can go to LOS

UK -> Bangkok Transit (No need to exit immigration) -> VTE -> Friendship Bridge -> Udon Thani Flight -> Bangkok

Painful journey but just hope i can get in via Land border (used once this year and already used 2 SETV (one with extension and re-entry, previous year used one SETV and extended that).  Just concerned with the 180 days that everyone seems to be posting about.  I have been in BKK since Nov-July and a few weeks in Oct using a total of 3 SETV and 1 Land Crossing.

• Sad 1

On 11/20/2019 at 3:43 PM, pantsonfire said:

Thanks all

Ok iam all booked up on this to see if i can go to LOS

UK -> Bangkok Transit (No need to exit immigration) -> VTE -> Friendship Bridge -> Udon Thani Flight -> Bangkok

Painful journey but just hope i can get in via Land border (used once this year and already used 2 SETV (one with extension and re-entry, previous year used one SETV and extended that).  Just concerned with the 180 days that everyone seems to be posting about.  I have been in BKK since Nov-July and a few weeks in Oct using a total of 3 SETV and 1 Land Crossing.

Thought i share my trip details to anyone making the same trip from uk to go through laos land border.

I booked a ticket with thaiairways to go to vte with a transit at bangkok. The flight is at 11.50am so arrived at Bangkok 6.20am. My flight to vte is at 9.30am so i had lots of time to spare but in fact it wasnt as it was a long queue to go through the transit security and took me an hour. 

Once through, had a bit abit of to relax and chill before boarding.  Visa on arrival was $35 and had a queue. I would suggest getting an evisa if in a rush but considering my flight from udon thani to bangkok was at 4.30pm it was no big deal to me. Collected my luggage and headed out and approach a taxi stand and they quoted me 560 baht for the taxi to friendship bridge.  That journey took about 35 mins. 

Upon arrival i was greeted by some drivers asking where iam going. I said udon thani airport and they quoted me 2k baht. As i was tired and it was hot i settles at 1.7k. The process at the laos exit was abit long due to the queues and the queue for the shuttle bus was long. Overall that took about 15 minutes before leavig to cross the bridge.  As i arrived at thai inmigration i went to the visa on arrival section and i got referred to the supervisor as they couldnt find my laos stamp. She found it and said iam only allowed to do 2 land borders a year and will reset next year. She said next time go through air with visa and the number of times its unlimted. Not sure how to make its true but iam finally in thailand. 

Thanks for everyone who gave me the advice and i confirm you dont need to exit inmigration in Bangkok if buying on the same ticket type unlike others who said you have to.

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, mockingbird said:

Thanks for the report. 

As I've asked this question in another thread... door to door,  how long did it take from arrival in Laos to Udon Thani airport? 

Also,  just out of curiosity, with your history, why didn't you get a tourist visa in the UK?  

It took about 40 minutes but its a sunday so not sure on traffic. I didn't get an setv as i didnt want to risk it in the airport.  Did think of going cnx but i didnt fancy being nervous as i wasnt as such on land border.  More chilled out

In answer to your question i arrived 11.50 and arrived at udon thank airport 1.45pm

Edited by pantsonfire
  • Thanks 1