One year partial curfew imposed in Deep South

rooster59

G0DL5oPyrtt5HBAi4oAYJbz3cpnf0xZafOrteqY3Smel9wqzByFoen.jpg

A partial curfew will be imposed in Thailand’s restive Deep South for 12 months with effect from December 1st, 2019 according to an announcement in the Royal Gazette which appeared on its website on Thursday.

Invoking Section 18 of the Internal Security Act, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha issued an announcement on Wednesday, a day after the deadly attack on the village defence volunteer outpost in Yala province in which defence volunteers and civilians were killed.

The raid was the worst in several years in terms of fatalities. Among the 15 dead were two Muslims and a woman.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/one-year-partial-curfew-imposed-in-deep-south/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-11-09

Army rules out curfew in deep South despite deadly attack that killed 15

By The Nation

800_34d419c81ac6bc7.jpeg

File photo of the scene after a deadly attack on Tuesday.

The Army has no plans to impose curfew in the restive deep South following a deadly attack on Tuesday that killed 15 people.

15 dead, 5 injured in Yala shootout

Maj-General Thanathip Sawangsaeng, a spokesman for the Internal Security Operations Command (Isoc), said on Friday that curfew would not be imposed, contrary to suggestions in some news reports.

His statement came after local media reported that the Army would be imposing curfew in the restive deep South.

Colonel Pramote Prom-in, a spokesman for Isoc Region 4 Forward Command, urged people to avoid panicking. “There is no immediate urgency to impose curfew, and people should not be frustrated,” he said.

Attacks blamed on suspected insurgents in the Muang district of Yala province on Tuesday night left 15 community guards dead in one of the deadliest days in recent history in the restive areas, where about 7,000 people have died since the insurgency began in 2004.

Local press interpreted the government announcement as the preparation for imposing curfew in the areas.

An announcement in the Royal Gazette on Friday allowed the director of Isoc to consider curfew in the Mae Laen district of Pattani; Chana, Saba Yoi, Thepa and Na Thawi districts in Songkhla; Betong district in Yala, and Sungai Kolok and Sukhirin districts of Narathiwat. It will be effective from December 1 this year until November 30 next year.

Maj-General Thanathip explained that the announcement only empowered Isoc to impose curfew. “It is not an announcement of curfew per se,” he clarified.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30378187

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-11-09

20 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

“It is not an announcement of curfew per se,”

13 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Well that's perfectly clear, meticulous planning! No confusion here!

2 hours ago, rooster59 said:

2 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Thai Government successfully imposed one year confusion in Deep South

5 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Gee, if that doesn't win the hearts and minds of the locals, what will?

(sadly, I need to point out that I am being sarcastic)

A lot of truth is spoken in jest....

7 hours ago, PatOngo said:

“It is not an announcement of curfew per se,”

Well that's perfectly clear, meticulous planning! No confusion here!

one cannot make this up.
Who is responsible for a Curfew ?
Civil Government or Police ?

3 hours ago, KKr said:

one cannot make this up.
Who is responsible for a Curfew ?
Civil Government or Police ?

Errr.. the Royal Thai Police are a part of the Civil Government. The agency responsible is the Internal Security Operations Command (ISOC), which seems to be part of the Army, and which does not have a sterling reputation. 

If they impose a curfew in said districts, then the entire region will be unreachable during curfew hours as the four easternmost districts of Songkhla Province are also included. Furthermore, the local economies of Betong and Sungai Kolok, which are based on nightlife tourism will completely collapse. I hope the local population fights these plans and, if they go through anyway, I expect total carnage: bombs, beheadings, shootings, arson and more fun stuff.
Since I live in the area, for God's sake, don't let this become reality!

I can already say: people here are p***ed and some of the local muslims I've spoken have already remarked the streets will not only be filled with water from the rainy season, but also with blood. Every punishing government action will only anger them more!

Archived