Jump to content
BANGKOK
Speedo1968

Unblocking UK basic mobile phone

Recommended Posts

Can I ask the question here about unblocking mobile phones ?
I don't wish to buy / use a Smart phone as have no real use for one.  I use my phone for emergency call or rarely to one person in UK,

My present mobile ( bought from AIS ) is a basic model and can't use pre-texting ( where the phone suggests the word you should type after the first few letters ) for English.

My nearest town / city is Khon Kaen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sorry what do you want to do, unblock pre-texting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, steve187 said:

sorry what do you want to do, unblock pre-texting

No, unblock the phone bought in England so that I can use it here in Thailand with a Thai SIM card ( AIS )

 

The Thai cheepo phone I have does not allow me to use text prediction in English so I have to go letter by letter when texting.

 

Edited by Speedo1968
added text

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why would it need unblocking ? is it locked to a UK network like vodaphone as an example and you want to use a Thai sim in it ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Why would it need unblocking ? is locked to a UK network like vodaphone as an example and you want to use a Thai sim in it ?

Yes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can get it unlocked at most phone repair places. I have had 2 UK phones unlocked here. Its a simple process, maybe 300 Baht 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

You can get it unlocked at most phone repair places

Really.. ??   which shop did you use ?   can they also unlock phones from True,Dtac and AIS  so they can use any SIM ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, johng said:

Really.. ??   which shop did you use ?   can they also unlock phones from True,Dtac and AIS  so they can use any SIM ?

yes they can.  I used a shop in Tesco, Pattaya, but they are everywhere in Thailand. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To do it correctly and legally, you should obtain the required code from the network who provided the phone. If the reason is legitimate and there is no longer a contract on the phone this should be no problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

To do it correctly and legally, you should obtain the required code from the network who provided the phone. If the reason is legitimate and there is no longer a contract on the phone this should be no problem.

It's true that in some country they have to unblock it for free but I never heard of any country where it's illegal to do so. Most shop will use a website like I posted and the website also has to contact the carrier to get the code. 

Edited by Tayaout

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

It's true that in some country they have to unblock it for free but I never heard of any country where it's illegal to do so. Most shop will use a website like I posted and the website also has to contact the carrier to get the code. 

It is a breach of contract (UK) if the phone is still under contract and you have that restriction to other networks removed without authorization. The whole purpose is to tie the phone to the network so they get all the revenue in return usually for the discounted handset/package.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

It is a breach of contract (UK) if the phone is still under contract and you have that restriction to other networks removed without authorization. The whole purpose is to tie the phone to the network so they get all the revenue in return usually for the discounted handset/package.

Just a thought.....  If the OP has brought the phone from UK to Thailand, and especially if he's not taking it back, does it really matter that it's officially under contract?

 

OK, legally it might, but the UK network is never going to see any more revenue if he fits a Thai SIM, and, even if he does take it back to UK, and refits a UK SIM well then they'll start earning again. And, if he's still paying a monthly fee to the network, well they're still earning anyway.

 

This tying phone to network contract thing is, I agree, technically a legal matter, but practically it's just a revenue earner (as you said) with the network squeezing as much out of the customer as possible.

 

I realise @CharlieH that you're warning about the legal position but practically, in this situation I would suggest it hardly matters and there really won't be any repercussions.

Edited by VBF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

It is a breach of contract (UK) if the phone is still under contract and you have that restriction to other networks removed without authorization. The whole purpose is to tie the phone to the network so they get all the revenue in return usually for the discounted handset/package.

This article say specifically that's its legal in the UK. Most phone can't be unlocked without cooperation from the carrier and they have the obligation to do it. Your solution to contact the carrier is probably the most sensible approach but it's usually easier and faster to use an online service. They act as intermediary between you and the carrier and they have automated system already in place. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can buy such telephones used or new here in Thailand. They cost next to nothing. I also don't like to carry around a big Smart phone (it is mostly at home) and I also use such an old and small phone here. If you buy one take a Thai SIM card with you to check if it works with your network. I have an old US phone that stopped working with True Move after they changed something on their network. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...