CONDO Toilet Smell - Installation practices

CaptainAdcap

3 hours ago, david555 said:
3 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

if the system is designed for them to be combined (for example virtually all the U.K. is) it’s perfectly OK

it is about condos I am taking the example ….!not respecting split system & as O.P. talked about his condo .

As I said if the system is designed for them to be combined there is absolutely no problem.

You may come from a country where systems are always split so assume that it is always correct, I lived in one of those for many years, however in other countries combining the systems is standard, again I lived in one of those for even more years.

So combined or split systems are perfectly and equally good. What is bad is not combined or split but a bad design or implementation of the system whichever it is. Get the design wrong and you will have a bad system.

Now Thailand is quite well known for extreme variations in design ability and competence along with similar variations in following plans when building, so adding those together you can draw your own conclusions as to the origins of problems.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

22 hours ago, david555 said:

And keep it with water filled ….

5289_wp22957d51_2.jpg

Simplest continuance with the sbove; is to have a slightly dripping tap. One drop a minute would be enough to keep it topped up over a 24hr period. 

(20 drops = 1ml ) 

Edited by tifino
  • Like 1

Thai construction maybe doesn't mandate vapor traps in descending drains and cheaper constructions certainly won't have any. I have stayed in a few relatively new hotels around Thailand and the bathroom floor and shower DRAINS invariably smell. Those are long, straight runs of mostly gas-filled pipe! I will assume that lower-budget condo's are susceptible to this issue as well.  Here's another graphic of what the floor drain should look like with trapped water acting as the vapor (smell) block. Pretty convinced this will solve the problem but also check that there are simple s-bends fitted to the sink drain as well. Maybe another construction cost corner has been cut there?

1240079343_floordrain.jpg.79c578e8077ffbb987f191a430cdb755.jpg

51 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Thailand BR sinks will normally have a bottle trap - not an S bend.

image.jpeg.da9b819a3a6e2b0043de75f06539805e.jpeg

Agree! - as an Sbend is a condo system's worse enemy; for compromisingredients syphon breaches, to suckered away the 'trapped' water 

21 hours ago, tifino said:

Agree! - as an Sbend is a condo system's worse enemy; for compromisingredients syphon breaches, to suckered away the 'trapped' water 

Is a bottle trap more effective at maintaining a water barrier against smells than a s-trap?

3 hours ago, Bassosa said:

Is a bottle trap more effective at maintaining a water barrier against smells than a s-trap?

Probably no difference in the short period, but an S-trap will contain a lot more water - much longer evaporation period. 

Edited by Artisi
  • Like 1

On 11/9/2019 at 9:18 AM, lopburi3 said:

At great risk (not living in a condo) will point out the wax seal has nothing to do with smells

has everything to do with smells, it seals the base of the pan over the  waste  pipe no seal = stinky air passes into the bathroom, the water in the u bend is the other seal, concrete is a <deleted> solution waiting to fail.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/12/2019 at 3:52 AM, Chazar said:

a  frequent  occurrence with the cack quality workmanship here..................first thing thais do............throw away the  wax  seal..not need  mai....want it done well.do it yourself, heres mine

20130124_103621.jpg

20130124_111909.jpg

EXACTLY !!! I have yet to "yank" the toilet. It appears it may cost me. I am convinced that no seal/gasket from toilet to drain pipe was used and the cement seal they use (toilet to floor, saw an old toilet being thrown out, along the street) is improper or insufficient to trap odors. The problem of not using a seal/gasket from toilet to drain pipe is not only the smell and health hazard but the eventual water migration that will damage my neighbors ceiling. THANK YOU FOR CONFIRMING MY SUSPICIONS...throw the wax seal out...damn.

• 1 month later...

Just wanted to say THANKS to everyone who helped me and posted their ideas on the subject. Since I am only here 6 months, Mai mee pan ha. I will just live with it and the owner can do as he wishes. After trying numerous things, talking to residents here, it was as I suspected, NO WAX RING OR GASKET SEAL from drain pipe to toilet drain, IT IS A MUST !!! Silicone or cementing the base of the toilet is not even necessary if a wax seal or connecting gasket is used (wax seal will outlast a rubber gasket 3x.) Yes, a silicone seal is nice as far as critters go, but unnecessary if a wax seal is used. Again a big THANKS to all, don't throw out those wax seals !!!

P.S. When I installed my toilet back home it was recommended to throw out the small wax seal that came with the toilet and that you buy the BIG & IMPROVED WAX SEAL (300 baht). I guess bigger is better or at least capitalism is alive and well ????

Edited by CaptainAdcap
added idea

2 minutes ago, CaptainAdcap said:

NO WAX RING OR GASKET SEAL from drain pipe to toilet drain, IT IS A MUST !!!

Sorry but do not believe that to be true.  We have a seven bathroom home and all have the normal cement seal holding toilet in place and none of them have ever smelled from leaking toilet in the 45 years we have lived here.  It is the cement that holds toilets in place here - no bolts are used.  One way or another will both work well when done properly.

I always call this ''THE Condo Smell'', something I encountered at most condo's in Bangkok. Sometimes worse than others but never to get used to it. 
Problem is that if you rent, can't really do anything about it neither do the landlords care. 

Always suspected it to be something with seals as described in this topic before.